Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 08 CVO Springer Rear Pegs  (Read 4452 times)

Pagoda64

08 CVO Springer Rear Pegs
« on: September 14, 2008, 07:53:37 PM »

I have had my bike for 6 months. Just  got it back from dealer. The rear passenger pegs keep opening up instead of staying up. Never an issue.. I cant figure out why???

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 08 CVO Springer Rear Pegs
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 08:08:11 PM »

I have had my bike for 6 months. Just  got it back from dealer. The rear passenger pegs keep opening up instead of staying up. Never an issue.. I cant figure out why???

Tighten the pivot bolts. Hope they didn't remove the spring clip though. Were the pegs off for some reason? ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »

I've got the same problem on my '08 Springer.   Peg is tight but it falls down during a ride.

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 08:59:05 PM »

I had the same problem on the passenger pegs of my CVO Springer. I thought it looked like a design flaw since there doesn't seem to be a way to tighten it...good luck.

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 09:32:13 PM »

I had always figured it was best to keep them down. The rubber touches the pipe in the up position, and really doesn't look good at all up. That's no excuse for a bad design, but it's my way of making it a non-issue.

the barber

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 08:44:48 AM »

The same thing happened to my bike. I still cant figure it out.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 12:33:37 PM »

thanks 4 joggin my memory!
my front right foot peg moves to the up position if i do a stretch with my right foot on the rear peg,
 i^m gonna tighten it up!

elky72ss454

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 09:54:37 PM »

My left one does the same thing. There is no way to tighten it like it comes from the factory.There is a small shim that should keep it tight. I have had the right side off and I remember the shim. I have not had the left side off, it may be missing the shim. The shim is like spring steel and keeps tension on the peg. I am going to look at my left one and add a nother shim to tighten it up. It is annoying to me. The heat shield keeps the right peg from burning, no problem there....

springervett

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 CVO Springer 105th Anniversary
    • CVO2: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic 110th Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:04:38 PM »

I have no problems with the rear pegs. In fact they are pretty tight when I have to move them. However, I am having problems with scraping the front pegs on turns. Still trying to get used to it.

Spanish Flyer

• Full CVO Member
  • Mankind, all equal; some more equal than others
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 04:22:37 PM »

I thought I was going bonquers when after a ride I had the rear pegs down (normally the left side one); had to think back and try and remember if I had touched it with my jeans or something, but that was not the case (I see now) >:( Those guys are pretty tight and to open them with the hand it takes a certain force. The spring spacer is also getting slightly rusty so that makes it even harder to twist open.... On the front pegs I use a bit of WD 40 to avoid the rust, but I dare not put anything on the rear ones. Seeing that it is clearly a design flaw, I can even think about the most probable cause why this is happening; each spring has a certain frequency (resonance frequency) where its force just collapses or loses its strength. I bet if we put a split washer instead it will stop doing it. Another option is replacing the springed spacer with a solid one and instead of putting the pin, we put a bolt and nut, using Thread Loctite or an autolock nut, you tighten it enough so the movement is stiff and off you go  ;D

Funny how when a lot suffer the same problem, the pain is not so bad..... :confused5:
STOCK BIKES SUCK!

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2008, 04:32:06 PM »

Me suffering too on my 08, rear foot pegs fall down,  front foot pegs go up if you lift your foot at around 70mph   :(

AZSSE

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »

I've got the same problem with my 07 springer - the dealer told me it was a design flaw.

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2008, 11:05:09 PM »

My 08 and 09 rear left footpegs fall down too. I'll look at getting and installing an extra spring washer in each footpeg, part no. 50912-72.

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »

both of my rear pegs are nice!
they're not loose and don't fall.

have you guys checked to make sure the spring is in them??
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

kev

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2 2008
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 10:44:25 AM »

Hello Bigelow
Yes I have the spring clip in all of them,  I even asked the dealer to take a look at the rear ones at the 500 mile service but it did not make any difference.  I am thinking of getting a couple of stainless nuts and bolts for the rear
ones.

I think there must be variations in the size of the slot and or the thickness of the peg and tension of the springy washer for some to work and others not.

Its not a real big issue, just irritating. Still love the bike and spend every spare minute I can either riding it or staring at it.  Almost a wife replacement......but not quite. :)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 04:22:31 PM »

I'm smiling wanly - 07 model - since y'day same problem  :orange: I was so darn stupid to grease it with Bardahl protection spray because I spotted some specs of rust on those springwashers -
I think there is money to be made here if we come up with an easy to apply hack for this nuissance  ;)

Rik
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.