Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: 21" vs 18" handling diffs  (Read 4766 times)

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
Re: 21" vs 18" handling diffs
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2008, 07:45:58 AM »

Yep - trading it in , that is another option of course ;-)
Trading in here in EU is less common than in US though - there's very few CVO models set aside for this particular neck of woods - but I could make some inquiries indeed.

Also , just to stand corrected from my end - the original idea the dealership had was that changing out against a 18" frontend was going to be easy - so I made the order (roughly 3K $) than he realized it wasn't going to be that easy after all and had to verify whether it was possible at all  :-\ so back to square one.

Rik

Air-Cooled

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2008, 09:58:17 AM »

You know, I went through the same mental process as well. I have an '07. When I saw the '08 come out I was impressed and thought my bike was somehow not up to snuff. Now, when I look at the two models, I'm starting to like the big 21" front again, it has a great overall appearance. I'm going to hang on to my machine, it works just fine and the tribal flame graphics are fantastic.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:25:36 AM by Air-Cooled »

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2008, 11:09:18 AM »

this is indeed sensible advice - I start to reconsider my initial impulsive decision already - thanks for throwing some perspective into the conversation  :P

rik

screaminfx

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2008, 02:06:57 PM »

While in most cases I'd opt for function over form, when we're talkin' about a Springer, well, it's a flippin' Springer! I don't care what front tire combo you use, it's gonna handle like a buckboard, and stop just about as well. I love my 07 for the old school look, which the 21 incher is a big part of. I did go with PM four piston brakes up front (replaced the rears too) just to give me a fighting chance with the cages. But if you want decent braking capabilities, don't look to a Springer, any of them.

For what it's worth I think the 09 model is pretty disappointing, the rear fender totally lost its classic "bobber" look, and as for tires, 200mm is enough, if the rear gets any wider it's gonna take on the look of every OCC wannbe luxo-chopper on the planet.

The Springer (any Springer) is a truly iconic bike, enjoy it for what it is, including its limitations. I'll take my Road King if I need to put on some serious miles.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:53 PM »

While in most cases I'd opt for function over form, when we're talkin' about a Springer, well, it's a flippin' Springer! I don't care what front tire combo you use, it's gonna handle like a buckboard, and stop just about as well. I love my 07 for the old school look, which the 21 incher is a big part of. I did go with PM four piston brakes up front (replaced the rears too) just to give me a fighting chance with the cages. But if you want decent braking capabilities, don't look to a Springer, any of them.

For what it's worth I think the 09 model is pretty disappointing, the rear fender totally lost its classic "bobber" look, and as for tires, 200mm is enough, if the rear gets any wider it's gonna take on the look of every OCC wannbe luxo-chopper on the planet.

The Springer (any Springer) is a truly iconic bike, enjoy it for what it is, including its limitations. I'll take my Road King if I need to put on some serious miles.

Doesn't sound like you've ridden an '09 with the 18 front 300 rear and wider swing arm or an old school springer with a properly tuned front end ......  Owned over 20 in the past 30 years and have never had a "buckboard" ride or a braking problem ....  :nixweiss:

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 08:07:47 AM »

Have you seen one and sat on it in person?

the pictures don't do it justice, it looks awesome in person! :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.