Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Odyssey Batteries  (Read 11913 times)

SPIDERMAN

Odyssey Batteries
« on: October 19, 2008, 05:48:59 PM »

What's the scoop on these ?  Are the worth the price. Looking at a new battery for my boat and it's $362. Since the boat has an automatic bilge pump and will sit moored for long periods of time, I want a battery that will still crank over the motor if the bilge pumps been running. Would appreciate any inut on these batteries

B B

hogasm

Re: Odyssey Batteries
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »

What's the scoop on these ?  Are the worth the price. Looking at a new battery for my boat and it's $362. Since the boat has an automatic bilge pump and will sit moored for long periods of time, I want a battery that will still crank over the motor if the bilge pumps been running. Would appreciate any inut on these batteries

B B

Have tried many brands of batteries Optima's included

best bang for the buck   Interstate group 24 or 27 battery

Use a 2 battery set up...one battery that runs your bilge pump and all electronics a deep cycle/starting
                                 one battery that is a starting only battery

hook them up with a battery switch.....change marine batteries every 2 years

remember that when on the water....the closest land is straight down :coolblue:

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 06:23:22 PM »

Great advise Brian,I realy liked that.  :D
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

Taken from a website...

The Odyssey Battery is an AGM battery that is very unique and technologically advanced. It was designed to meet the demanding needs of the US Military with respect to heat, cold, shock and vibration, and to last much longer than other batteries. It is currently used in tanks, fighter jets, battle ships, and many other military applications. On top of this it delivers higher cranking power while also being the best deep cycle battery available (two to three times the cranking amperage of other similar sized batteries and the ability to be drawn down to 100% over 400 times). Other attributes include the ability to sit dormant for up to two years and still hold enough charge to start the motor it was intended for. This is very important because we often don’t get to use our boats as much as we would like during the season. The Odyssey battery actually lasts up to 6-10 years which is attributed to it being manufactured with 99.9% pure virgin lead. The US Coast Guard has 500 batteries in 50 Bollinger 87 foot protector class cutters since 1998 without a single failure to date. On top of all this, it is maintenance free and will not vent during normal operation due to its patented technology to reuse its internal gasses. It is also the only battery to claim an explosion proof design.

Charging the Odyssey battery is similar to a flooded battery. It is not sensitive to charging like other AGM’s and the Gel batteries. In fact, the Odyssey battery has no restrictions on the inrush of current and will recharge in one third the time of a conventional battery. This allows the battery to be utilized with traditional flooded chargers and typically does not require replacing your current charger in many applications. Most marine three stage chargers available today work very well for charging the AGM batteries.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 06:28:00 PM »

Hogasm
           I know you know waaaaaaaaaaaaa more about boats than I will ever know, BUT, to my understanding an Optima is not an Odyssey. Two different batteries from different companies.  :nixweiss:

B B
      But I do like the two battery idea. Thanks  :2vrolijk_21:

hogasm

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 06:36:18 PM »

$75 each for 2 batteries every 2 years is a lot cheaper that $200 each for 2 batteries every 2 years

and you still make it back to the dock

vagabond6542

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 07:55:19 PM »

Spiderman,
Go to this link for a two battery hook up.
http://www.prioritystart.com/  and this one  http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/battery-isolators/1869 and this one http://www.hellroaring.com/marine.php

I found more links, but this is enough for an idea.

Safe boating. :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:51:31 PM by vagabond6542 »

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 10:06:24 AM »

I would highly recommend taking it to the next level and installing shorepower. Then the batteries (I also recommend running two) are merely a battery backup to the 110v. I'm not sure what size your boat is, but this is the typical set up for most boats with twins with any sort of a shelter (cabin)
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »

I would highly recommend taking it to the next level and installing shorepower. Then the batteries (I also recommend running two) are merely a battery backup to the 110v. I'm not sure what size your boat is, but this is the typical set up for most boats with twins with any sort of a shelter (cabin)

magloo 
          Thank you so much for the first belly laugh of the day.

The boat in question is a 1988 19ft Mach 1 Challenger  4.3l Mercruiser I picked up while in Maine for $2,500.
It went to the local vocational high school (where it is now) for replacement of the flywheel/ring gear and starter and has since been used as a teaching tool for the kids in the boat repair course. They are going through the engine, outdrive and electricals from A-Z. I only have to pay for parts replaced. When I get it back I will replace the two rear jump seats and have new canvas made along with whatever I end up doing for a battery. I will have MAX $3,500 tied up in the boat when it goes into Sebago Lake for the season next May. This includes the galvanized Load Rite trailer it is currently sitting on. Quite a steal IMHO and I am tickled pink to have it, but certainly no yacht.

Shorepower  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D  I expect to have a good chuckle all day long about that one.

B B 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:05:02 PM by SPIDERMAN »

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 02:40:55 PM »

BB  Since you are up in the North Woods where your batteries are subject to freezing and you don't want to fool with them again for several years you could  "invest" part of your 401K (while its still worth as much as a battery (pre democrat sweep)) in any AGM  (GlasMat). They are pretty much the chit, and we have switched all the batteries over in the pilot house to AGM.

Otherwise I'd  just go to the Portland Costco every year or two and buy one for 80 bucks and buy 10 cases of beer with the change, and give the old one the float test
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 02:43:14 PM by icybay »

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »

BB  Since you are up in the North Woods where your batteries are subject to freezing and you don't want to fool with them again for several years you could  "invest" part of your 401K (while its still worth as much as a battery ([size=6
pt]pre democrat sweep[/size])) in a AGM  (GlasMat)  a . They are pretty much the chit, and we have switched all the batteries over in the pilot house to AGM.

Otherwise I'd  just go to the Portland Costco every year or two and buy one for 80 bucks and buy 10 cases of beer with the change, and give the old one the float test

No Costco in Maine Tim, only Sam's Club. I'm gonna go with Hogasm's recommendation on the Interstates and the two battery set-up. Sounds like just the ticket with my concern over the bilge pump draining the battery down.

B B

icybay

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: (2) 2004 SEEG B&B's ECoast & WCoast
    • CVO2: 2000 FLTRSEI B/O/W
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2008, 02:51:04 PM »

Don't feel too  bad about the 362.00 Odyssey.  I just got a quote for a battery for my forklift and they want 7 grand.  No inflation around here.  Maybe I can buy your old batteries and stack them up.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2008, 03:00:08 PM »

Tim
     About two weeks ago my boss had his secretary pack up my desk at BIW's office here in Dago. He also made sure all the info I had accumlated in nearly 28 years in the business was not in the boxes. I've filed a complaint with BIW's HR dept since that is a violation of company policy, but I doubt I will ever retrieve all of my sourcing info. I am still on the company payroll til year's end and my desk was not needed. He was simply being a complete nd total dickhead. Point is, where BIW buys on a huge scale, I had sources that were a lot cheaper to deal with I'm sure than you have. No dis intended simply stating fact. Our bottom line is in the 2 billion a year neighborhood. That creates a lot of clout with vendors. I had hoped to hang onto 27+ years of accumlated info for possible future use. My dickhead boss has certainly effed that up.

B B

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2008, 12:33:55 PM »

used as a teaching tool for the kids in the boat repair course.
and electricals from A-Z.

:o
 :o :o :o

Shorepower  I expect to have a good chuckle all day long about that one.

Probably for under 250 you can get a dual bank waterproof charger and shore power bulkhead connector.

Would keep you, your batteries and your bilge pump happy.

10 amp version of this charger
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&keyword=307530&jspStoreDir=wm51&productId=27385&resultCt=1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SiteSearch

Bulkhead connector
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&keyword=4889903&jspStoreDir=wm51&productId=123421&resultCt=1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SiteSearch

Dual battery switch.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&keyword=281469&jspStoreDir=wm51&productId=3094&resultCt=1&catalogId=10001&ddkey=SiteSearch

8501DP is fine as long as you are in the habit of not running the engines and switching the batteries.

You would have to spend a few bucks on quality wire and terminals for the switch and stuff, but it is well worth it.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2008, 12:35:16 PM »

No Costco in Maine Tim, only Sam's Club. I'm gonna go with Hogasm's recommendation on the Interstates and the two battery set-up. Sounds like just the ticket with my concern over the bilge pump draining the battery down.

B B

If the boat is going to stay in the water and you are away for more then a month you may want to consider the charger. But, if you have little rain in the area it will be less of a concern.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 21 queries.