Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 CVO Springer Detachable parts (finding the right numbers)  (Read 6453 times)

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
2009 CVO Springer Detachable parts (finding the right numbers)
« on: October 12, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »

Ordered detachable sideplates, docking hardware, sissy bar, & rack for bike at dealer based on latest 2009 parts book. Anyone having problems with this as I am?

With the wider backend I knew some parts were going to be specialized for the 2009 FXSTSSE3 but was suspicious about the docking hardware same as 2000 - 2002 softail instead of 2003 - later softails. Also dealer did not have sideplates & docking hardware in stock.

Got the rack & docking hardware, and the rack instructions list totaly different parts numbers, in fact list same docking hardware as 2003 - later softails. Also the docking hardware don't look right, got bolt heads instead of Torx heads like original in fender struts.

Here are the difference between book & rack instructions:
  • detachable sideplates:book-53810-00B, rack-53810-00A
  • docking h/w:book-53821-00, rack-53930-03
  • Sissy Bar upright:book-52540-09, rack-52940-09

Plan to check back with dealer when I can but I have other thing going on right now. I think the dealer had the other sideplates & docking hardware in stock so this is a bit irritating...

Anyone tried fabricating their own rear turn signal relocation? HD's kit really sucks, looks jury rigged to me so I'm going to try prefabbing something to keep the stock wing type extensions.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 11:00:39 AM by DarkEagle »

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
Re: 2009 CVO Springer Detachable parts wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:14:44 AM »

Update on my parts:

Hard to say about the docking hardware, went with the more common 2003 or newer version 53930-03 for saddlebags but since that is further down the road I also got the non saddlebag version & installed them. Only complaint is they have allen head screws that must be metric because I don't have that size, would have been nice to keep them Torx, might need to shop around at a fastener store like Tacoma Screw. Also went with the cheesy turn signal relocation kit since I don't have the time to fabricate something right now.

Found out from the dealer the B at the end of the part # just supercedes the A for the sideplates so between all three of these common parts which they had in stock all along I could have got them a long time ago without ordering.

As for the sissy bar, still backordered, had them verify with their HD P&A computer system the part # was correct, the one in my rack instructuins is invalid on their system so another week of waiting... Checked the rack on my back fender & it matches the width but it all relies on the sissy bar to tie it all together.

I agree it is better to keep the springer more stripped down, but I plan to do more than just short runs around the neighborhood.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:58:15 AM »

I agree it is better to keep the springer more stripped down, but I plan to do more than just short runs around the neighborhood.

For travelling i only have the bob tail fender rack 53979-07, which i leave on permanently as it follows the lines on the fender.
for travelling i strap on my Kuryakyn gran traveller bag using bungies or small ratchet straps, i also remove 4 of the torx screws 2front 2rear from the fender struts and install the detachable fasteners with the allen screws, the fender deco rail stays in place, this gives 4 extra points 2 attach bungy cords to for a second bag sitting on the seat. Wet gear n change of gloves then gets strapped with a spider net over the top 4 easy access. Works 4 me!

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »

Fair enough solution - I have it more traditional with the detach half-height sissy supporting the largest HD T-Bag which I came to like over the years  (contemplating now if I will retrofit the sissy with additional luggage rack so I can tote a smaller back on weekends - or indeed go with the fixes rack on the bob-tail...not sure yet.

Saddlebags....I cannot tell if I ever fit them and how (I suppose would indeed need yet another layer of docking plates - I already dislike the curent "studs" supporting the sissy and find them not esthethic ...)
I found the throw-overs from Le Pera quite appealing on their catalogue but not too sure how it pans out in reality (maybe a bit too much kitch ?)

Cheers

A_R

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:18:28 PM »

saddle bags r a problem cus of the high exhaust. i have seen quite a few italien bikes with only 1 large leather saddle bag, which i think would affect the balance of the bike.

amarillo_rider

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:57:27 PM »

I agree - for now i steer away from them as I keep my high-up pipese for sometime for reasons of ground clearance .Never been a big fan of a single "bag" strategy either  :huepfenjump3:

thx

rik

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »

For travelling i only have the bob tail fender rack 53979-07,
This might be just what im looking for, is it a straight fit? would you mind posting a picture please
Charles

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 01:32:26 PM »

Got all my parts in and have everything installed. Looks fine on the bike but I don't know... It's there if I need to strap something on the rack or when the time comes my wife wants a ride.

Jury is still out on saddlebags or roll bag, but I need something. Right now just saving up and just taking the bike on short rides.

will you post of a pics of the rack fitted on your bike?  Please!

Page created in 0.378 seconds with 22 queries.