Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: 09 engine paint peeling  (Read 46514 times)

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
09 engine paint peeling
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »

Not sure how big of a problem this is, but i just washed my bike for the first time (using a hose) last friday and noticed the paint peeling off the engine block around the front lifter block cover.  dealer just took some pictures and sent them off to the MoCo.

'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
Re: 09 engine paint peeling
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 12:46:02 PM »

This is not good.  Let us know the results

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:49:07 PM »

That's a shame.  Bad anywhere.  But even more so because it is so noticable there.  Hey, at least winter is coming on so a big tear down won't have you down during as much riding.  Ride it until New Years and let them tear it apart then. 

The attemps I've seen before at patching those paint jobs didn't look good (of course those are only the ones I noticed--doesn't mean better efforts didn't pass right on by).  Hope it's not a tear down.  But fear it might be to make it look good.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 12:55:21 PM »

thats real bad luck! i would demand new parts,

u can never hide touching up the paint without taking the parts off the motor to do the job properly, I would rather leave it like that than have somebody try n touch it up.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 01:19:02 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, the engines are not painted they are powder coated. Looke like someone
didn't clean them before the process.
The "TAZMUN"

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »

Not being smart, but if it were mine, I would put on a chrome lifter block cover to hide it.  I would have done what you already did and have the dealer and MOCO make note of it.

If you were unfortunate enough to have oil leaks on the jugs on the other side, I would then have it took care of then.  Otherwise, I would run it with the chrome lifter block cover for the life of the bike.
I would not let the dealer remove my engine, tear it down, put back together and reinstall.  The chances of that getting done with no problems is slim.

It's your bike, do what makes you feel best.

Somebody with a lifter block cover will have to let him know if it will cover all the area to the timing cover.

weamdog

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: '09 FLHTCUSE4
    • Virtual Garage
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 01:25:46 PM »

Not being smart, but if it were mine, I would put on a chrome lifter block cover to hide it.  I would have done what you already did and have the dealer and MOCO make note of it.

If you were unfortunate enough to have oil leaks on the jugs on the other side, I would then have it took care of then.  Otherwise, I would run it with the chrome lifter block cover for the life of the bike.
I would not let the dealer remove my engine, tear it down, put back together and reinstall.  The chances of that getting done with no problems is slim.

It's your bike, do what makes you feel best.

Somebody with a lifter block cover will have to let him know if it will cover all the area to the timing cover.

my thoughts exactly, however, lifter block covers (or at least the ones i want) do not fit with the 110 jugs.  one option that i'm not sure is going to be approved by the MoCo is to yank the engine, split the block, and replace that section.  i'm not sure i want to risk further damage.  i thought this was powder coating, but it seems more like regular paint of teflon.  it is thinner then paper.
'00 FLSTS
'09 FLHTCUSE4 (Autumn Haze/Octane Orange)

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:35:20 PM »

Looks like Kuryakyn may have a couple solutions also.  Theirs say they fit all Twin cams thru 2008 and probably 09..  Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Serkcus

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 Candy Cobalt SERK
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 01:16:57 AM »

Looks like that one leaked oil prematurely, before they got the chance to powder it  ;D Sorry, feel your pain, even if you end uo covering it temporarily,go for a permanent fix from the MoCo.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 08:34:28 AM »

I guess all our comments are premature until the MoCo comes back with their answer and plan of action (I wonder what kind of owner abuse they could blame that on?).  Based on what we've seen from the MoCo in the past I'll bet they will first want to just have the case spot repaired with paint.  When you tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine, the next answer will be to tear it down and replace the cases.  If you're OK with that and trust the dealership to do it right, go for it.  If not, try to hold out for a complete engine replacement.

Before spending any money on cover up products, make sure the peeling has stopped.  If the case wasn't properly degreased and prepped prior to powder coating, this most likely is just the beginning.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 09:12:20 AM »

I guess all our comments are premature until the MoCo comes back with their answer and plan of action (I wonder what kind of owner abuse they could blame that on?).  Based on what we've seen from the MoCo in the past I'll bet they will first want to just have the case spot repaired with paint.  When you tell them to shove it where the sun don't shine, the next answer will be to tear it down and replace the cases.  If you're OK with that and trust the dealership to do it right, go for it.  If not, try to hold out for a complete engine replacement.

Before spending any money on cover up products, make sure the peeling has stopped.  If the case wasn't properly degreased and prepped prior to powder coating, this most likely is just the beginning.

Jerry

Brian hasn't been near that bike with OVEN CLEANER has he??

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

hogasm

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 09:42:08 AM »

Brian hasn't been near that bike with OVEN CLEANER has he??

:pumpkin: :bananarock:
   Brad

Brad you are one hardcore buddy :soapbox:

hogasm

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 09:44:24 AM »

Not sure how big of a problem this is, but i just washed my bike for the first time (using a hose) last friday and noticed the paint peeling off the engine block around the front lifter block cover.  dealer just took some pictures and sent them off to the MoCo.

:oops:

Request new cases from the MOCO

If they come back to your dealer and say no....call customer service!!!

Keep records and receipts of everything related to this

You did not pay $35,000 for a piece of chit.....

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2008, 09:53:57 AM »

:oops: will check mine.... >:(

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2008, 10:42:49 AM »

Do they even sell touch up paint ?  I know my bike is old but there are a couple of spots on the cases I'd like to fix.  Doc
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 21 queries.