Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Floorboard extensions  (Read 38028 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Floorboard extensions
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »

I installed the floorboard extensions on my '09 SE Ultra.  I'll see if I can figure out how to post more than one photo.  As you will see from the photos, they move the floorboards outward by 1".  If you are like me, I was riding with my foot barely on the outer edge of the floorboard.  This moves the boards out where you would like them to be and now you can keep your foot on the board.  The next benefit on the 09 is that due to the position of the rear exhaust, this moves the rider's heel away from the pipe.  I already melted my ski pants and boot heel on my pipe in the first week of ownership.  Luckily, I was able to clean it off and with the floorboards moved, I should no longer be in the danger zone for recurrence.  Third, they give you a little more room to clean your bike and they look nice this way.  Take a look at where your boards are now, and then look at the photos.  Anyway, I got them from www.harleygoodies.com/hdf and without going into the details here, let's just say that they have the best customer service I have ever experienced anywhere in my life.  They offer a price discount if you register or are already a member of hdforums.com.   Here's a pic of the right floorboard.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

Re: Floorboard extensions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »

Here's a pic of the left floorboard.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

Here's a photo underneath the board.  The spacers are chrome and simply extend the length of the board mounts.  Unless you are bent down and focusing your attention on looking for these, I doubt that you would ever notice it's not all one mount bracket.  One thing I will mention however is that even though this is just 4 total bolts out and 4 total bolts back in, the front bolt on each side can be a real pain.  The oil cooler is in the way of anything but a partial turn of the bolt and the bolt head being on the inner side of the frame, you can't really see what you are doing and it's a lot of fidgeting to get the wrench in the hole for each little turn.  Another thing that I learned was that these bolts are very difficult to break loose and you don't have room to put a pipe on the end of your allen wrench or anything like that.  What I did was set the allen wrench in the bolt head aiming downward and at a slight angle toward me.  Then I used my foot to push on the allen wrench to break these free.  Once I figured that out, I broke all 4 bolts free in seconds.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 07:03:53 AM by 1abastarsmda »

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »

Looks so much better than the stack of washers on my bike.  Thanks for the link.  Great job!   :2vrolijk_21:

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »

Here's a photo underneath the board.  The spacers are chrome and simply extend the length of the board mounts.  Unless you are bent down and focusing your attention on looking for these, I doubt that you would ever notice it's not all one mount bracket.  One thing I will mention however is that even though this is just 4 total bolts out and 4 total bolts back in, the front bolt on each side can be a real pain.  The oil cooler is in the way of anything but a partial turn of the bolt and the bolt head being on the inner side of the frame, you can't really see what you are doing and it's a lot of fidgeting to get the wrench in the hole for each little turn.  Another thing that I learned was that these bolts are very difficult to break loose and you don't have room to put a pipe on the end of your allen wrench or anything like that.  What I did was set the allen wrench in the bold head aiming downward and at a slight angle toward me.  Then I used my foot push on the allen wrench to break these free.  Once I figured that out, I broke all 4 bolts free in seconds.

thanks 1abastarsmda

Just ordered mine!

:2vrolijk_21:

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:41:03 PM »

I had them on my last bike and I knew they were a bit of a pain to put on, but still one of the first things that I had to get for this bike.

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 09:18:11 PM »

Finished installing some take-offs from the SEUC onto the FLHR this afternoon.  Since the FLHR still has the stock headers, I figured I'd climb up in the attic and get the heat shields from the stock headers that were on the SEUC, since the forward cylinder exhaust header heat shield runs full length with no gap by the cam chest cover.  Switched out the heat shields.  Now I have just enough room to slide a piece of paper between the right side rider rear footboard support and the heat shield.  A set of these in black is enroute, and a set in chrome is enroute to Rod's Performance.

Again, thanks for the hook up!   :2vrolijk_21:

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:50:28 PM »

Looks good!  1" seems like a big spacer but I noticed the same thing you described about my feet hanging on the edge of the board. 
Is there a nut on the backside of the frame or do the bolts just thread into the frame?
Thanks for the post
guppy

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:52:27 PM »

Looks good!  1" seems like a big spacer but I noticed the same thing you described about my feet hanging on the edge of the board. 
Is there a nut on the backside of the frame or do the bolts just thread into the frame?
Thanks for the post
guppy

It is hex head cap screws thru clearance holes in the frame...

edited to say:  thru 2007....  don't know about 2008 or 2009.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 10:10:04 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »

It is hex head cap screws thru clearance holes in the frame...

09's are different.

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 10:05:19 PM »

These will be a welcome addition to both of my bikes.  Can't wait to get them.   :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 10:08:49 PM »

09's are different.

How are the 09's attached?   :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »

Front arm of each board bracket has an allen head bolt that comes from the inner side of the frame outward.  The bolt slides through the hole in the frame and threads into the board bracket arm.  The rear arm of the bracket just has a hole to push the bolt through and screws into the frame.  These are head on and easier to get to.  On the left side of the bike, the rear arm bolt also goes through the kickstand mount.  I jacked the bike up at that point, as I was unsure if the kickstand would give out with that bolt out, however I found that the other 2 bolts for the kickstand keep it in place and this is not a concern.

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 06:47:38 AM »

Nice writeup for the 09's.  It's amazing that moving the boards out 1" is much more natural feeling on the bike.

Anyone with an 08 or older with the older frame.  To get the allen bolts out, I cut about 1" off a 3/8" allen wrench and then used a 3/8" gearwrench to remove the allen bolts.

REGGAB

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 06:56:29 AM »

Nice writeup for the 09's.  It's amazing that moving the boards out 1" is much more natural feeling on the bike.

Anyone with an 08 or older with the older frame.  To get the allen bolts out, I cut about 1" off a 3/8" allen wrench and then used a 3/8" gearwrench to remove the allen bolts.

hehehehe.........fought that battle before, have ya, Bob?  It's definitely an expletive session.  I'm looking forward to doing it again........on two bikes.

not 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 21 queries.