Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: rubber air deflector?  (Read 1082 times)

wts

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG crush
rubber air deflector?
« on: December 10, 2008, 07:36:18 AM »

some where on here I read a post about mounting a rubber deflector beneath the fairing ?
                                           couldn't be seen but made large change in air flow ?

anyone know of this and could point me in the right direction

thx
                                                                                                                       wts
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 11:10:20 AM by wts »
someday- today-will be the good old days

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Re: rubber air deflector?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »

WTS,

There is a black metal deflector under the fairing which is semi circular. HD calls it a Front Fork Air Baffle and sells a Chrome one for $24.95 #58520-79TC.  The one already on your SERG is black and pushes air from under the fairing down to the engine. 

E. Chrome Front Fork Air Baffle
Deflect the cold night wind rushing between the fork tubes
of your Touring model. This stylish chrome air baffle replaces
the Original Equipment black baffle on ’00-earlier models.
Includes chrome mounting hardware.
58520-79TC $24.95
Fits ’80-later FLT, FLHT, FLHX and FLHR models.

I don't know how to copy the image but it's on page 434 of the HD 09 catalogue.  Hope this helps. 

GK

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »

Greg
                          would the chrome one deflect more air or the same amount just shiney

the post I'm thinking of is where someone added a "custom" piece  of rubber
                             which added to the deflection   ....    is that plausible?

thx
                                                                                         wts

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 02:24:38 PM »

Greg
                          would the chrome one deflect more air or the same amount just shiney
                        the post I'm thinking of is where someone added a "custom" piece  of rubber
                             which added to the deflection   ....    is that plausible?

thx
                                                                                         wts

I think the chrome piece is just "shiny."  It's the same size and shape as the stock piece.  I suppose you could fashion something to add to the deflection but don't know, sorry. 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 03:26:04 PM »

WTS, I added a piece of composite industrial belting to my air baffle, pretty much sealed up the area around the downtubes and triple tree, I will attach a picture the next time I uncover the bike, its pretty well sealed up for winter at the present time.

wts

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »

thanks

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 21 queries.