Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HD Sissy bar on a fxdse  (Read 7236 times)

myfxdse07

HD Sissy bar on a fxdse
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:08:10 PM »

Hello, Has anyone install a sissy bar\backrest on their fxdse? In instruction calls for the removal of 2 torx screws but it does not mention the removal of the upper shock bolt that holds the chrome fender support cover.. Can the upper shock bolt be removed easy or is this a difficult task left for the dealer to install.

altugo

• 1K CVO Member
  • Screw it let's ride!

• CVO1: FLSTFSE2 nebula yellow/ cobalt blue
    • CVO2: FLTRSE3 yellow pearl / charcoal slate
Re: HD Sissy bar on a fxdse
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 06:55:27 PM »

you can install softail customs backrest for now
Ridin Legend

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »

You can install rigid sideplates (H-D part # 52856-06) and any sissy bar for an '06 - later Dyna. There are two torx screws to remove on each side. The upper shock mount removal is not necessary, if you have the right tool to remove the torx screws that hold the turn signal. I talked one of the mechanics into letting me borrow the torx ratchet (his was a Matco) and didn't need to drop the rear suspension to put on the sideplates. Believe me, it's a pain in the butt to get the turn signal screw out. Total time to put on the sideplates was about 50 minutes.
The removable sideplates will work too, but require relocation of the turn signals, and spacers between the chrome and the fender. I went with the rigids, because I wanted a clean finished look.

myfxdse07

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 10:26:18 PM »

wizgee, I bought a torx rachet set but have 2 more ? When I tried to remove the torx bolt on outside chrome cover I noticed it did not screw out as expected but was pulling the cover away from the fender when I tried to back it out (?). Second, It seems the inside torx bold requires the bike to be lifted to clear the rear tire... is this necessary?
Tks for your help....
Manny

wizgee

• Vendor

• CVO1: '07 FXDSE - Silver Rush / Midnight Black - GONE
    • CVO2: 13 FLHRSE5 - Crushed Sapphire / Cold Fusion
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 10:35:36 AM »

Manny,
MAC and Snap-On make a low profile, long handle, torx ratchet (?) that fits between the fender and the tire. I borrowed one from a tech at the dealership when I did mine. Without that tool, you have to raise the bike on a jack and drop the swingarm (by removing one of the shock mounts on each side.)
The forward torx screw needs to be removed AFTER you get the turn signal screw out.
And you might want to toss out the torx screws for mounting the sissy bar to the sideplates. 3 of mine vibrated out after about 30 minutes of riding. I replaced them with 1/4-20 X 1/2 SS bolts and star washers. (I didn't use any locktite because I wanted to be able to switch between a mini bar and a med-low bar.)
Hope this helps.

myfxdse07

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 09:23:23 PM »

Hey has anyone install the sissy bar bracket from American Aftermarket parts

http://www.americanaftermarketparts.com/category/20626termarket

Looks like a nice alternative to the HD bracket.

danielg

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »

Hello, Has anyone install a sissy bar\backrest on their fxdse? In instruction calls for the removal of 2 torx screws but it does not mention the removal of the upper shock bolt that holds the chrome fender support cover.. Can the upper shock bolt be removed easy or is this a difficult task left for the dealer to install.

Hi I am trying to install sissy bar and rack on my o7 FXDSE I did get the kickstand side on but when I got the tail light bolt out on the other side it hits the tire, I did lift the bike up, I did let air out of tires, it still hits. my question is that I am looking at the rear shock thinking that if it was unhooked it would let the tire drop enough to get bolt out, the bolt that holds rear shock is tight, even after 4-5 turns is this lock tite or so much pressure from the rear shocks. it is in the air when I am trying to unturn it. any help would be nice thanks Danny

Tomhartzelt

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 05:41:22 PM »

I put the rigid side plates on mine and had difficulty with the bolt hitting the tire.  I raised the bike, took off the seat and loosened the rear fender.  If you remove the seat and loosen the turn signal bolts and the forward bolt on the side plate, the fender will become loose.  That gave me enough room to get the turn signal bolts out.

Tom
2007 FXDSE
2006 RKC 95 Stage II

myfxdse07

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:04:53 PM »

I just installed a new sissy bar by Haulen Ass
http://www.us-trans.com/haulenass/index.html
I like the clean look of the bracket and it's very easy to install.
The jury is out on the pad but there are other pads avil through HD that will work.
The underside of the pad rest on a rubber so you will not harm the paint.
I pad $159.00 + 9.00 shippingfor bracket and pad.
BTW, On the FXDSE the pads that support the seat need to be moved out slightly.
Very easy to do and use 3M 2 sided tape to reapply.
I will try to add more pics to my profile for you to view

cdog

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 04:46:08 PM »

I just installed a new sissy bar by Haulen Ass
http://www.us-trans.com/haulenass/index.html
I like the clean look of the bracket and it's very easy to install.
The jury is out on the pad but there are other pads avil through HD that will work.
The underside of the pad rest on a rubber so you will not harm the paint.
I pad $159.00 + 9.00 shippingfor bracket and pad.
BTW, On the FXDSE the pads that support the seat need to be moved out slightly.
Very easy to do and use 3M 2 sided tape to reapply.
I will try to add more pics to my profile for you to view

I installed one of these and it is GREAT!   No BS turn signal relocation, it's easy to install and cost much less than the cumbersome HD solution (side plates, hardware, sissy bar, pad, rear signal relocation, about $400+).

This is the way HD should have done it from the get go...
2007 CVO Dyna FXDSE, Rinehart Exhaust, PCIII.

bigbzhd

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:01:06 AM »

Anyone tried one of these brackets on a 2008?  It seems like a cleaner and better solution than the one offered by HD and less expensive.

bigbzhd

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 06:07:48 PM »

Bump again.... Anyone tried this Sissy Bar on a 2008 Dyna FXDSE2?

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.