Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Windshield Banter  (Read 2794 times)

Dragon42

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
Windshield Banter
« on: May 18, 2009, 09:48:38 PM »

OK  We have about 20 threads going about windshields.  I'm starting my own self-serving thread.  I want to cut through the chatter.  So far we have stock, Cee Bailey, Windvest, kuryakyn, Clear View, klock Werks, etc.  The stock provides NO wind protection but is great for the boulevard.  Other than that, what is the 500 mile shield?  I have a CB 14, and its OK.  What is IT for the big run?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Windshield Banter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »

OK  We have about 20 threads going about windshields.  I'm starting my own self-serving thread.  I want to cut through the chatter.  So far we have stock, Cee Bailey, Windvest, kuryakyn, Clear View, klock Werks, etc.  The stock provides NO wind protection but is great for the boulevard.  Other than that, what is the 500 mile shield?  I have a CB 14, and its OK.  What is IT for the big run?
I also have a CB 14 in its decent for around town, I have tried all the rest except for the Windvest, For the big runs at high Speed my Clark 14 in with hand grip wings, is pure comfort.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 11:00:56 PM by dartman »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 03:29:48 AM »

Where do you get such grip wings and do you have a link to this Clark ?
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:59:19 AM »

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »

Hey , what do Clark mean with " mar resistant " ?
And where do you find such grip wings ?

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »

Where do you get such grip wings and do you have a link to this Clark ?

It appears that "grip wings" are an option you can order with your shield. It looks like they are actually molded to the windshield such that it is one piece.

And I'm assuming the mar resistant refers to a scuff/scratch resistant coating that lessens the chances for marring the shield. However I'm sure it isn't mar-proof.  Sort of like scratch resistant coating on your eye glasses...  'tis my guess.

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

It appears that "grip wings" are an option you can order with your shield. It looks like they are actually molded to the windshield such that it is one piece.

And I'm assuming the mar resistant refers to a scuff/scratch resistant coating that lessens the chances for marring the shield. However I'm sure it isn't mar-proof.  Sort of like scratch resistant coating on your eye glasses...  'tis my guess.
Exactly, Any windshield will scratch without proper precautions, I was telling the owner that because of the wider spacing on the SERG most of my shields directed cold air right onto my hand grip area, he came up with the wings to channel the air away from the grips,  Its not a molded Screen, but its very sturdy, I lost more selling my other shields then this one cost.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:43:57 AM by dartman »

rganz

• Senior CVO Member
  • Do Unto Others----First

• CVO1: 09 SERG
    • CVO2: Fat Boy
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 04:16:32 PM »

Thanks Dartman
Thats what I am looking for------I think :-[

Rob
Rob

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 04:55:48 PM »

Thanks Dartman
Thats what I am looking for------I think :-[

Rob
Rob, My ears ring constanty so  I need some protection from the wind  and turbulence, I tried 5 shields listing in excess of $200.00 that looked good but beat me to death at X way speeds, This one is not as attractive but it works and is a fraction of the cost , 

2UP3DOWN

• Elite CVO Member
  • 2UP3DOWN

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTCUTGSE - Sunset Orange &amp Sunset Black
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO3: 2009 FLTRSE3 Silver Surfer - 2013 FLHRSE5 Crushed Saphire
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »

I also have a CB 14 in its decent for around town, I have tried all the rest except for the Windvest, For the big runs at high Speed my Clark 14 in with hand grip wings, is pure comfort.

I just hung up the phone with the folks over at Clark's Custom Windshields. After speaking with Pat, I have to say that I'm optomistic that I may have found that replacement "touring shield" I've been searching for.

According to Pat, his windshield can be used "WITH" the stock gasket that comes with the CVO SERG. Up until now, none of the other OEM shields have worked or fit quite right with the stock SERG gasket.  That alone makes a big difference to me.

His prices on his shields are also affordable.  I'm 5" 9" with a 31" inseam. I ordered the 10" lightly tinted shield with the flat top.  I'll post my review after I get it installed which I'm expecting to be in the next couple weeks.

bobroadglide

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 Silver SERG
    • CVO2: 05 Cherry SEEG
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 08:19:11 PM »

You don't mention how thick the windshield is or if it vibrates.  Clark site does not list the material, I was thinking the polycarbonate vs standard acrylic.  I am trying to find a dealer that has the Kury and/or others so I can see some and get a height check before I order 10 wrong ones.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 02:26:06 AM »

But looking on your posted pic , you can see that the lower line in front of the shield is not exactly the line of the stock SERG gasket .
 Is there a gap when you look from inside downwards between the gasket and the Clark`s ?

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »

No Gap, the bottom of the windshield does not line up perfectly  with the rubber seal but it seals properly, I am not recommending everybody try one , I have tried other shields that have worked well for others and found them to be inadequate.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 03:03:29 AM »

How much are the grip wings ?
You said that they are optional .

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 03:26:40 AM »

he didn't charge for them, This is only the second set he has done, the bending process leaves a small opaque line, he is not going to advertise that feature until he can make the bend and maintain clarity, I told him in my case I just wanted them to work properly, like I said previously just because this shield works well for me, you might hate it, I sure dont want to be responsible for someone purchaseing an item on my say so and then bemoaning the fact that it dosen't work properly.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.575 seconds with 21 queries.