Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tach on a 2009?  (Read 1767 times)

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
Tach on a 2009?
« on: September 11, 2009, 12:35:09 PM »

Has anyone put a tachometer on a 2009 springer?  If so, how do you like it and can you possibly post a picture or two?

Dustin

Lolo

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '15 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

Re: Tach on a 2009?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 03:50:21 PM »

Thanks. I was seeing if anyone had put the tach on that was originally on the 2007 and 2008 springer. I have looked at that tach/speedo combo as well but, I am thinking about leaving the stock one there and adding the separate tach.

ice6900

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: fxstsse 07
    • CVO2: (non cvo) fxdl customised
    • CVO3: (custom)arlen ness 1914 flat trak replica
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »

Thanks. I was seeing if anyone had put the tach on that was originally on the 2007 and 2008 springer. I have looked at that tach/speedo combo as well but, I am thinking about leaving the stock one there and adding the separate tach.

there is a thread about fitting the tacho, i think they had to fit taller risers so that the head lamp didnt smash into the bottom of the tacho

here it is http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28593.0
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 03:59:30 PM by ice6900 »

Quiet Pro

• Live Free & Ride Hard

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3, Black Diamond & Emerald Flames
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »

I am in the process of doing exactly what you're talking about.  It's been an adventure so far.  After getting the 09 tach kit from H-D that was "supposed" to be a quick and easy project, the service department quickly assured me that the kit woulnd't fit my bike due to the large diameter bars.  At this point the service and parts dept of my local H-D were stumped and started to suggest aftermarket tachs.  I called H-D and they said that there were no kits to fit my bike and the listing for the kit on the website was a misprint.  After much research I followed the link that iceman posted and that gave me a pretty good picture of what I would have to do.  Basically I had to take a printout of those pics down to the local H-D and figure out how to do it.  There are no easy fit kits for this.  The only way is to ask your H-D to pull out the parts book for the 08 bike, look up all the part numbers for the entire tach setup, then order each part separately (assuming your H-D is like mine and probably won't carry all of them in stock).  Some of the parts were backordered for months.  Once you've collected all the parts you can have them install it just like and 08.  However, in the thread that iceman linked the guy does talk about the riser studs being quite a bit taller than the 08 and that he had to switch them out on his bike.  All of my parts have arrived at H-D and as I am currently away on business I have not able to bring it in to get the work done.  My H-D parts manager was a bit apprehensive about needing to change out the riser studs but I'm guessing he's just trying to save me a bit of money and effort.  I am anticipating having to change them out regardless.  A very simple project has turned into quite and expensive and extensive one.  Best part is, I'm still not done.  Surely they'll be more surprises to come.  I'll let you know as soon as I find out (first 2 weeks of Oct).  Hope this helps.
2009 FXSTSSE3
V & H Big Radius 2-in-2 Pipes
Power Commander

Herrmen

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »

Wow, I am starting to wonder if it is worth all of that trouble. ha ha. Please do let me know how it turns out because sometime seeing is believing. Thanks for all the info.

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:00:36 AM »

I tried all the same B.S. as you and I think the integrated speedo/tach is more economical and does'nt clutter up the bars,I'll bet I took a bottle of tylenol just listening to the various local H.D. stores blow smoke up my a-s 4 in total and all answers were different from it cant be done to it'll be over $750.00 f-em, and all the luck to ya let us know how much ya dropped and post a picture when your "back from your business excursion" STAY SAFE BROTHER and thanks!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 01:40:51 PM »

there is a thread about fitting the tacho, i think they had to fit taller risers so that the head lamp didnt smash into the bottom of the tacho

here it is http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=28593.0
Should really check this link out, I know a lot depends on the "skills" of the dealer staff to understand a parts catelog & have an open mind, but rheiner got it figured out with his dealer...

The riser studs were $56 each. The tach parts were taken right out of the 08 CVO springer parts manual. The total was about $450 for parts (plus riser studs). I think they charged me an hour of time to install the tach (I put on the riser studs) but it might have been a little more. The best part about doing it, other than the tach, was having 1.5 more inches of rise on the handlebars. But keep in mind, you must put in the longer riser studs or the tach will hit the spring bridge going over bumps. Unless you want the look of the tach on the handlebars, it's cheaper to put in the speedo/tach. HD came out with a new one that matches closely the stock speedometer.

and rheiner's results look great... :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:56:29 AM by DarkEagle »

BMF-110

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2009, 06:32:53 AM »

Looks great with it, how do the apes feel?

DarkEagle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond with Emerald Ice Flames
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »

haven't changed my bars, yet...

according to rheiner's post, he has no problems with his. A lot of people make negative remarks on them but I always believe it is up to the rider, not public opinion.

For me, wouldn't mind fat mini apes but the stock bars are growing on me if I ever get around to raising the risers...

BMF-110

• Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 07:59:06 AM »

I'm with ya on the stock bars, my 97 Bad-Boy has almost identical bars and I never had any desire to change them and I am a huge "drag bar" fan from waay back but the look and feel on the Springers just fits for me !

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 08:04:57 AM »

I installed mini apes from an '06 WideGlide on my '07 FXSTSSE.
they were $100.00 and look and feel GREAT! :2vrolijk_21:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »

28,000€ and no tach...........makes you wonder  :nervous:

Deuce Bigelow

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 FLTRX

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE Canyon Copper - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »

my 2007 was $24,999.00 WITH a Tach!   LOL :bananarock:
2010 FLTRX Road Glide Custom

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.