Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: '01 SERG Warm-Slow Idle Adjustment Question  (Read 2542 times)

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3
'01 SERG Warm-Slow Idle Adjustment Question
« on: September 13, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »

I needed to bump the warm (slow) idle adjustment up about 200rpm on my 01 SERG.  The HD Service Manaual describes a process utilizing a Scanalyzer which I and most of us I suspect don't have.  I warmed the bike up completely, and made the adjustment (10 torx) which to my amazement took an entire turn.  After turning it off and on a couple of times, it seemed that it was consistent at 1000.  The next day when I fired it up, the warm (slow) idled settled at 1400 so I backed it down 1/2 turn and it settled in at 1000. 

I did notice once during my test ride that at one point the idle returned to the previous 800 but for the most part idle stayed 1000.  The SM describes the need to remove the ECM and Fuel Pump fuses to ECM memory after adjustments to clear the "learned minimal throttle position".  Should I do this even though I don't have the Scanalyzer to complete the process?  I wouldn't want to clear the ECM to find it won't run at all.   

Are there any alternatives to the Scanalyzer?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: '01 SERG Warm-Slow Idle Adjustment Question
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »

I needed to bump the warm (slow) idle adjustment up about 200rpm on my 01 SERG.  The HD Service Manaual describes a process utilizing a Scanalyzer which I and most of us I suspect don't have.  I warmed the bike up completely, and made the adjustment (10 torx) which to my amazement took an entire turn.  After turning it off and on a couple of times, it seemed that it was consistent at 1000.  The next day when I fired it up, the warm (slow) idled settled at 1400 so I backed it down 1/2 turn and it settled in at 1000. 

I did notice once during my test ride that at one point the idle returned to the previous 800 but for the most part idle stayed 1000.  The SM describes the need to remove the ECM and Fuel Pump fuses to ECM memory after adjustments to clear the "learned minimal throttle position".  Should I do this even though I don't have the Scanalyzer to complete the process?  I wouldn't want to clear the ECM to find it won't run at all.   

Are there any alternatives to the Scanalyzer?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Blue

Yeah, pull the fuse after making the change.  Idle on the Marelli bikes can be quirky.  A "wandering" idle is one of the idiosyncrasies of the package.  Also double check (and triple check) for even the slightest of vacuum leaks.  Around all the sensors, intake flanges; the whole package.  Especially that tiny gasket around the MAT sensor.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 03:13:14 PM »

Thanks TLR for the confirmation.  My MM has been very reliable and continues to be at 44k miles - knock wood.  No problems either with wandering idle typically - stayed solid at 800.  That's why I noticed the difference after the warm idle adjustment.  I'll be sure to check for vacuum leaks as you suggest too.  Thanks again for the feedback.

Blue
Axtell jugs, JE forged flat top pistons, S&S 585 cams, SE 58mm throttle body, Dewey's Pro-Street ported heads, SE cam plate w/Baisley HP spring, Zipper's pro-taper TC pushrods, S&S Rockers & Boxes, Cat-less, 2" Fullsac, TTS, twin Jagg oil coolers, AK-20, 13" Works Black Trackers w/ARS, Clearview, Hawg Wired, Yaffe Monkey Bars, Corbin, M/C Armor, HarleyGoodies

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »

Thanks TLR for the confirmation.  My MM has been very reliable and continues to be at 44k miles - knock wood.  No problems either with wandering idle typically - stayed solid at 800.  That's why I noticed the difference after the warm idle adjustment.  I'll be sure to check for vacuum leaks as you suggest too.  Thanks again for the feedback.

Blue

Hope it's simple.  I've never really minded the Marelli system either.  The wandering idle wasn't usually something that came on later after having never presented for tens of thousands of miles.  If it's changed seemingly of its own accord definitely worth checking it closely.  Spray a little WD40 or something around all the sealing points to see if anything can be seen/heard.

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:17:35 PM »

Thanks again TLR.  Like I mentioned it only dropped back to 800 once during my test ride and a couple of dozen idle opportunities - otherwise it settled in at a nice steady 1000.

Cheers,

Blue

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »

Had this problem in a bad way before the engine rebuild this winter.  One of my big upgrades was a 51mm HPI (Horse Power Inc) throttlebody.  I really had my doubts about how much good this would do, but I know the it would give more air and the top because of the single runner design, rather then the MM dual runner.  Have more aircleaner options, still cant use any Delphi air cleaner but there are more options.  But all crap aside, it starts and cold idles and warm idles like any late model bike.  Throttle responce was much improved.  Comes with 60 psi reg so remap is needed.  Also installed the big Screamin Eagle injectors.  Just my 2 cents but this was the best piece I bought for the bike since the day a got it.
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

SilvrBulet

• Senior CVO Member
  • Built to Ride

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:02:07 PM »

Thanks Godeater for the additional info.  Something to remember if the situation warrants in the future.   My idle has been steady all along, just a couple hundred RPMs too slow.  My interest this go around was whether I should remove the fuses to reset the ECM memory after the warm (slow) adjustment.   TwoLaneRider gave me an affirmative....

Cheers,

Blue

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »

Had this problem in a bad way before the engine rebuild this winter.  One of my big upgrades was a 51mm HPI (Horse Power Inc) throttlebody.  I really had my doubts about how much good this would do, but I know the it would give more air and the top because of the single runner design, rather then the MM dual runner.  Have more aircleaner options, still cant use any Delphi air cleaner but there are more options.  But all crap aside, it starts and cold idles and warm idles like any late model bike.  Throttle responce was much improved.  Comes with 60 psi reg so remap is needed.  Also installed the big Screamin Eagle injectors.  Just my 2 cents but this was the best piece I bought for the bike since the day a got it.

GE, the aftermarket TBs don't have the manually set idle mixture screws that the stock pieces did.  If those aren't right to begin with they never will be as they're sealed over once set.  There was also a service bulletin for an ECM download to address wandering idle issue with the Marelli bikes back in their day also. 

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 21 queries.