Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: When to replace drive belt  (Read 17351 times)

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
Re: When to replace drive belt
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »

Well, I got the drive belt changed yesterday, the job wasn't really that bad at all. You can actually change it without removing the rear tire and swingarm. Just remove the LH lower rear shock mount to let the belt come over the back of the swingarm, remove the nut and Lh swingarm bushing and push the swingarm bolt out the RH side and it will give you the room you need to get the belt through. I did find the dealer who has serviced the bike since it was new has NOT been doing the primary correctly. Once I removed the primary cover I found about 1" to an 1 1/4 play in the primary chain.  :soapbox:

I went ahead and installed new seals for the starter and trans jackshaft along with al new gaskets. Cost: 350 bucks total in parts and a six pack for after the job was complete..

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2011, 10:12:17 PM »

Well, I got the drive belt changed yesterday, the job wasn't really that bad at all. You can actually change it without removing the rear tire and swingarm. Just remove the LH lower rear shock mount to let the belt come over the back of the swingarm, remove the nut and Lh swingarm bushing and push the swingarm bolt out the RH side and it will give you the room you need to get the belt through. I did find the dealer who has serviced the bike since it was new has NOT been doing the primary correctly. Once I removed the primary cover I found about 1" to an 1 1/4 play in the primary chain.  :soapbox:

I went ahead and installed new seals for the starter and trans jackshaft along with al new gaskets. Cost: 350 bucks total in parts and a six pack for after the job was complete..
Just saw this post and wondered if they changed since I last broke a belt in 96, I never had to remove the primary, swingarm or tire.  Glad to see things remain the same.  Belts are not cheap are they?
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

cobaltblueultra2004

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »

Chains, I should have been more clear. You do have to do a complete disassembly of the primary and remove the inner primary. We are going on vacation next week and if I would of had the extra jingo and the time to wait I would have ordered the new chome inner primary and installed it at the same time.

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 04:30:22 AM »

imho the best time to replace the drive belt is the day before it breaks

;D
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 21 queries.