Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: The Winter Weight  (Read 3105 times)

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
The Winter Weight
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:57:07 PM »

Oh man is Winter here!!!

I woke up this morning hungry.  I intentionally ate lite last night because I had intentions of making Dr. Robert Atkins proud at Cooper's Pit BBQ in Llano, TX today with a hearty meal-o-meat.

I put on my favorite ridin' jeans and grudgingly put on a light jacket because it was a chilly 60 in Austin Hill Country  ;) and I knew it would be much colder by the time I got home.

My son rode on the back as we headed out Rt. 1431 W. through the twisty hills.  We pretty much had the road to ourselves.

The sites vary from mountains, to valleys, to rivers, to rural towns, to lakes, to boating communities, and from twists and turns and ups and downs to wide open rode.

After 80 miles, we finally arrived.  We smelled the grills long before we saw them.

Behind the restaurant, are two fire "silos" where they burn the wood.  From there, the hot embers are taken and placed under one of the many outdoor BBQ pits.  These pits are like large metal refrigerators on their side, so the lid/door is raised to tend the meat.  When you get there, you wait in line outside.  As you approach the door, there is one of these large pits with the final product.  You can select from baby back ribs, giant beef ribs, brisket, T-bone, sirloin, prime rib, sausage, chicken and the largest most tasty chops in the world.  

I tried something different this time and went for sausage, 2 beef ribs, and brisket.  That alone was enough to feed a family (so was the price).  My son did the same and substituted chicken for sausage.  Didn't I tell you Atkins would be proud!  No, I'm not on the Atkins diet.

Now before you go thinking I'm a pig, you have to know that I've been here before, and I came prepared with a collapsible cooler and some ice packs for the left-overs.  But of course I ate everything... like a pig.  I had to go back outside and get more, just so I didn't come home empty handed.  That's a mistake you only make once!  Another mistake you should only make once, but I seem to do more often than I care to admit, is eat the leftovers before they have a chance to become left over, especially before you have to get back on your bike.

On the way back, we stopped off at an overlook to look at Llano and Lake LBJ and adjust our belts.  

One thing to look out for on Rt. 1431 are cattle gates.  They are bars stretching across the road that cattle will not cross because the can't walk on them.  To a bike, the are a speed dip, rather than a speed bump.  I noticed that we seemed to be taking them a lot harder than we used to, but oh well, probably needed air in the shocks.

We eventually arrived home and began unpacking.  I placed the cooler on the ground so I could place my helmet back in my tour pack.  My wife emerged wide eyed from the house and offered "hi-good trip?-where's the food?".  I pointed to the ground, and quick snatch-and-go maneuver later she was gone.

I stayed out and checked over the bike.  All's well... including the air pressure in the shocks.  hmmm.

On a whim, I made may way to the bathroom scale.  Well, lets just say Winter's here, and I could hibernate like a bear and be none the worse for wear come spring time. Time to exercise some control... yeah right.  I have SEUC-OCD and BBQ-OCD, and a few other OCDs.   I am already making plans to hit the Salt Lick BBQ in Driftwood.   ;)
84 GoldWing GL1200i (mint... pretty much)
06 FLHTCUSE Black/Haze (on order)  ETA: Q2-2006

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
Re: The Winter Weight
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 07:06:28 AM »

Hey SEUC....What a way for me to wake up, pour a leisurely cup of coffee, look at the board and RUIN MY WHOLE FRACKIN' DAY.  Here I am, parked in FL for the past few years where they consider BBQ being anything that's unacceptable to consume any other way covered in a ketchup sauce while you are managing to hit my favorite spots, gorge yourself and POST PICS OF IT.  Not fair.  By the way, if you take a little ride down towards Corpus visit Cotton's BBQ in Robstown, TX.  I grew up on it and put it near the top of the list.  Best is the butcher shop in LaGrange, TX..that's also the former home of the "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas".  Enjoy yourself, I'll be back soon to give you some real competition.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:49:04 AM »

hey OCD.......great write up on the BBQ, man!  If you're ever in Eastern NC, you've got to try the BBQ here.  It's made entirely different than just about anywhere else......still cooked/flavored with wood (hickory/oak), but the biggest difference is the sauce.......it's a vinegar base instead of ketchup based and we cook the whole hog, not just shoulders as they do in other parts of NC.  MMMmmmmmm.  I know what I'm doing for lunch today.  Har!  :P spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 08:11:30 AM »

hey OCD.......great write up on the BBQ, man!
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RedFXR2

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 08:20:15 AM »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 08:29:23 AM »

spyder,

One of the things I really miss after moving from Va to Chicago is the BBQ.
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 08:35:27 AM »

Thanks a LOT, there Spyder, for ruining my day just like BLM got his day ruined by SEUC!!!

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 10:53:28 AM »

Hey SEUC....What a way for me to wake up, pour a leisurely cup of coffee, look at the board and RUIN MY WHOLE FRACKIN' DAY.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 11:00:49 AM »

Regarding this wonderful showing of even more wonderful food in a grand philanthropic gesture to brighten everyone's day.

You mean evil tempting bastard........

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 11:26:49 AM »

hey OCD.......great write up on the BBQ, man!

SEUC-OCD

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE - OCD
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 11:29:48 AM »

You mean evil tempting bastard........

[smiley=ROFLOL.gif]

RedFXR2

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 11:33:22 AM »

Spyder,

RedFXR2

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 11:37:19 AM »

Hey, Spyder, since you've already got my belly in fond memory mode, have you ever been to Ron's Barn for BBQ?  They have two places, one in Sanford and one in Coats.  Or how about Knightdale seafood and BBQ in Knightdale?

Go ahead, torture me some more. :P

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 11:44:56 AM »

All I know is that I was on business in San Antonio and went to County Line BBQ and for a northern boy by far Texas beef BBQ is the best I've had. I also am packing on the "winter weight" all this talk of ribs I think I'll throw on another 5 tonite. Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 11:53:50 AM »

All I know is that I was on business in San Antonio and went to [highlight]County Line BBQ[/highlight] and for a northern boy by far Texas beef BBQ is the best I've had. I also am packing on the "winter weight" all this talk of ribs I think I'll throw on another 5 tonite. Q

Years ago, I travelled often to Albuquerque (Where I turned Right), and there was a restaurant at the base of Sandia Peak, [highlight]County Line BBQ[/highlight]...I loved their Apple Cobbler with Southwest Vanilla Bean Ice Cream after scarfing down a rack of Ribs.....mmmmmmm

Another Restaurant there, Gardunos had some really good Mexican fare.

/Bill
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 12:18:44 PM by WFP »
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 01:06:46 PM »

Hey BLM,
« Last Edit: December 12, 2005, 01:07:52 PM by BLM777 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 02:29:18 PM »

Hey SEUC....What a way for me to wake up, pour a leisurely cup of coffee, look at the board and RUIN MY WHOLE FRACKIN' DAY.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »

Yeah, 'er 'uh, BLM777,

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 03:16:00 PM »

Hub...I can't recall Brady, but I knew several of the James family that were old time residents of Corpus.
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2005, 04:57:53 PM »

Hey, Spyder, since you've already got my belly in fond memory mode, have you ever been to Ron's Barn for BBQ?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 22 queries.