Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: XM on Zumo 665 or Harley  (Read 1928 times)

Phil33

XM on Zumo 665 or Harley
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »

I have a question about XM. I have it already set up thur the Harley but now I just got a Zumo665 Do I leave the XM thur the Harley or Move it over to the Garmin Zumo 665? I'm thinking of getting the weather so If I do I may be limited on what I do. Not sure Please Help me out some. If I run it thur my Zumo 665 then everytime I ride I'm going to need it hooked up on the bike. Thanks

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: XM on Zumo 665 or Harley
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:49:08 AM »

Pros and Cons to this

Pro to Harley---Having in the Harley radio means it is always with you on the bike regardless of whether or not you have your GPS.
Con---Not portable

Pro to Zumo---you can take it with you into a car or another bike and use there
Con---you need to have your GPS with you on the bike to use it.

Myself, I only take my GPS when I am going on a trip or to someplace I don't know, otherwise I leave it home. But I ALWAYS use my XM.

Phil33

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 11:16:20 AM »

Thanks thats what I was thinking too. I know I will not want to take my GPS everytime I get on my bike either. Sometimes I just ride around close by the house and I know where I'm going too. I think I may just put the weather on the Zumo and leave the other on thur Harley if I can do that without any problems. Thanks for the repy

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »

Another thought, if you want to hear the directional prompts and listen to the XM, you won't be able to if you leave the on-bike unit, but will if you have it thru the Zumo.

Phil33

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 12:09:51 PM »

FR8TRN so with that said what would you do? I would like to hear the directions at some point I think. I'm new to the touring bike so I am up for any answers u may have. Thanks Still Learning too

FR8TRN

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ya ever take a crap so big your pants fit better??
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 12:54:11 PM »

I've had both, I prefer the GPS with XM simply for being able to hear the prompts and listen to the XM or MP3 from the GPS at the same time.  Nothing wrong with the XM on the bike either, but my GPS was dedicated to the bike so I didn't worry about not having it with me.

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »

Pro: if you add XM to your Zumo then you can hear the turn by turn through your radio.  Otherwise you have to switch between radio and AUX
Con: if its the little bubble antenna like my friends its quite UGLY
Harley sales a unit that attach's to the top of your radio that comes standard on the SE
What ever you think   ----your right---

Chrome O

• 2009 SEUC Ruby Red
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »

Pro: if you add XM to your Zumo then you can hear the turn by turn through your radio.  Otherwise you have to switch between radio and AUX
Con: if its the little bubble antenna like my friends its quite UGLY
Harley sales a unit that attach's to the top of your radio that comes standard on the SE
What ever you think   ----your right---

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »

You can mount the Garmin XM antenna on top of the radio so that you don't see it. I did as well as many others and it works just fine. At least I have not heard of any problems with it being mounted there from anyone. I have not had any problems with it. Although I did loose my 660 about a month ago (fell out of the mount at about 60 MPH) and I have not replaced it yet, need more $$$. If you have a new 665 I would expect that the XM/Radar/Weather antenna would also work there but I don't know for sure about the 665.

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.