Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Chrome Problems  (Read 3472 times)

mfgreen

Re: Chrome Problems
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2004, 06:36:25 PM »

YES!!!!
West Bend, WI HD Dealership worked on my bike several times. It was in the shop for several reasons in 2003... the big one included a major rebuild of new HD parts... the parts are just about a year old. The chrome is peeling off of the air intake regulator, and I have peeling and rusting on a SE pipe. The tires, wheels were replaced last year - and the chrome is tarnished. Cleansers are not at fault for this.

I am dumbfounded that the dealership won't replace these items - in less than a year after they put the crap on.

I am to do the legwork myself by approaching HD Juneau Ave offices and plant.

Well? I'll hang the damn tire around a lasso, grab my parts, and lock myself to their doors until I see Willie G., Karen's dad -- (Karen was in my class in h.s., was Ms. Charm and Modeling rep, and is now selling HD gear for who knows what kind of markup.) I think she learned this well from her dad. He's making out on "new designs", coming up with new designs, before "improvements are realized" for the older designs. In a few words, "this sucks".

Willie G. has no clue as to what we are doing behind the scenes to bash the models he totes as "great". Does Willie G. the new vice president and his new team realize that sales will go down, purchase of new parts will go down, purchase of overpriced clothes will go down... because buyers aren't going to stand for shoddy warranties.

Shop at Neiman Marcus and you'll find the same clothing at Target. But, NM will overprice their items by 400%? I've worked in retail. I know what cost is like.

Retail on my bike - '03 SE Road King - 100th anniv. edition, FLHRSEI-2, with a few add-ons, and parts that NEEDED to be replaced because of driver errors, is not up to what I expect, nor is it up to High Standards that we all expect.

The chrome is "cheap"!!!!
The rack on the back, for touring - with the basic passenger back rest - is peeling!!! What is up with that?!?!?!?!

These parts will be plastered to my body as I walk in that front door at Juneau!!! I'm asking to see the president -- my concerns are too great to talk to anyone less.

How's that for frustration

The dealer cannot do a thing without factory approval.

You would be wise to have part #s for everything that is wrong with your bike.  

The people that you talk to at the factory will want to know these part numbers in advance.

You must get a recommendation from your dealership to talk to the factory for anything to happen.  The recommendations must follow up the chain of command both at the dealership and at the factory.

When dealing with the factory write down everybody's name that you talk to and the time of day with the date. Then write down or record what was said by whom.

You will also receive a series of numbers which is like a registry number.....this is important.  Keep this number handy as you will constantly need it.

I was initiated to this last year and I do not envy you.

hummer

• Rineharts, K&N, flash worth every penny paid.
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 05:35:44 PM »

Add me to the list of peeling chrome [smiley=furious.gif].  Rear wheel on my SEEG.  Also noticed front tappet block cover leaking oil.  My dealer ordered the wheel and will install it and fix the oil leak as soon as the new wheel arrives.  My riding buddy, also on a SEEG, used 2 1/2 quarts of oil to and from Sturgis (about 3000) miles, fowled two rear plugs and smokes out the left pipe (Rinehart).  We're both old and conservative enough [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] that abuse is not the cause of these problems.  Has the CVO department put mass production profits [smiley=thumbsdown.gif] [ahead of customer satisfaction and quality workmanship?  Your comments and comparisons are welcome.  Thanks......................  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

esnare

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2004, 07:16:34 PM »

My 04 SEEG front wheel chrome peeled in the first 3 months.  Dealer replaced it and 4 months later my new front wheel is peeling and another is on order.  I think Harley is starting to forget about quality again.  Other issues, bike delivered with non working temp gauge,  bike would not start about every 20th try which was a bad starter and jack shaft.  Not to mention totally embarrassing each time.  I have several friends having the quality issues on Ultras, Road kings, you name it.

My fatboy has 30k miles and has never been in other than for regular service.  My opinion is each year arrogance factor goes up and quality goes down.  This may be my last one if it doesn't improve.   [smiley=thumbsdown.gif]

The shame of it is I love the bike otherwise.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2004, 05:24:21 PM »

Both floorboards have been replaced, both wheels have been replaced and I am having to replace the front wheel yet again.  This is not acceptable!

I have several other HDs and have not had issue one with them...thank GOD!

It's time to put an end to this matter and resolve the issue.  Otherwise, the Motor Company may find itself in a position it was years ago...in trouble, producing an inferior product.

hummer

• Rineharts, K&N, flash worth every penny paid.
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2004, 11:45:09 AM »

Got the SEEG back after the front wheel, mirror and shifter were replaced [smiley=laugh.gif].  Spent 6 hours detailing it and noticed 3 of the 4 floorboards are peeling [smiley=nixweiss.gif].  I'd already had the rear wheel replaced for peeling chrome.  It appears to me that the only chrome problems are on the items considered accessoriies for all other Harleys except the CVO Harleys [smiley=thumbsdown.gif].  Looking back at all the trips to the shop I wish the dealer would have removed the gas cap (it's plastic and won't peel) and slid under a new SEEG [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif].  

Sir_Nuke

• I ride it like I stole it!!
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2004, 01:41:54 PM »

Same here....on my 03 SERK....inside the holes of the rear brake pedal are peeling....both rear view mirrors the chrome peeled off the backs of them.....both the clutch handle and the front brake handle the chrome bubbled up on the backsides where you don't even touch them, the chrome bubbled on the "points" cover.....and there are a few tiny spots on the handlebar hold down cover/tach mount......my bike is a little over a year old now....and its always been garage kept....and kept clean....

IMHO, This is one area that HD has a serious issue, as their chrome is NOT done here in the good ol' u.s. of a.
'03' SERK, SE slip-ons, Stage 1 air cleaner, King Tour Pak, and an honest to goodness HD Quick Detachable Batwing Fairing.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 03:56:28 PM »

Drawing your attention to another item that I don't believe has been reported as peeling.  Was detailing my scoot today and noticed that the front of the forward footboard holder is corroding to a dull matt look.  Same thing is happening on both of them.  I keep everything waxed with the scoot inside a heated/airconditioned shop.  Shame on HD....not good for the reputation.

GrayRider

• Extremely Grateful
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2004, 02:15:23 PM »

I haven't had any problems with the chrome on either bike, but some of it looks kinda thin.

It seems like I heard that the EPA had something to do with a change in the chroming process that has made all chrome products of less quality.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 21 queries.