Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: SE Compensator and Clutch Problems  (Read 8986 times)

highwayking

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2 - Red
SE Compensator and Clutch Problems
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:57:23 AM »

I'm getting ready to join the many who have had their stock compensator replaced with the SE version.  When I had my last service performed the tech told me that the transmission fluid smelled burnt and that is usually indicative of a clutch wearing out.  So, I'm having them look at that too while the primary is off.  Has anyone else had a clutch problem with their 2007 CVO Ultra?  I only have 25K miles on the bike and I think that is premature for clutch problems.  Also, do you think that there is any connection between the stock compensator being inadequate to handle the stress of the 110 engines and the clutch wearing out?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Billy

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2007 SERK
    • CVO2: 2014 SERK
Re: SE Compensator and Clutch Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 10:06:53 AM »

not a mechanic but my clutch went out at 400 miles ,  I then complained for the next 35000 miles that the clutch did not seem to engage fully and that I had starting issues. They finally replaced the Compensator with the Se and it is like a new bike . why does it take so long for HD to listen to us. We ride the bike everyday and know what it should be like Billy
2014 SERK Tribal Orange Wild one 501 apes Powder coated gloss black, Mustang Seat with backrest, King tour pack with smoked lights, LED aux lights, CD Dynamic front ringz, CD custom license plate with LED turns and brake light, Zumo 660 mounted on bar, Klock Werks 17 inch Flare windshield, Saddle bag guards, Added LED turn indicators in handle bar cover, Engine guard foot pegs

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:49 AM »

My 10 SESG came with the SE compensator.  However, at about 16,000 miles it had to be replaced.  So the SE compensator isn't the cure all, either. :nixweiss:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Envithyx

• Senior CVO Member
  • "Summer Rain" 07/24/1963 - 07/07/2010

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 - Cherry Red w/ Flames and Glass Eyed Skulls
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHTK - Cherry Red Sunglo / Merlot Sunglo w/ Flamin' Eagle Theme
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »

My 10 SESG came with the SE compensator.  However, at about 16,000 miles it had to be replaced.  So the SE compensator isn't the cure all, either. :nixweiss:

X2.  My Limited (103") came with one as well, and was bad at 174 miles.  Albeit, they believe it was installed incorrectly at the factory.  Showed wear that they would expect to see at very very high mileage.   ???
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 02:08:29 PM by Envithyx »
2009 FXSTSSE3
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Chubby Drag Bars/V&H 2-1 Big Radius/ThunderMax

2011 FLHTK
Custom Paint/Wild 1 Bagger Bars
V&H Duals w/ M. Ovals, Ness AC, PC-V Auto Tune and SEPST Base Tune
V&H ThrottlePak
SE Pro Stage III - 10.5:1, SE259E
HD Mirrors w/ LED Aux Running
HD LED Lighting: 7" w/ Bezel Trim, 4" Aux, Turn Sigs (Smk Frnt, Red Rear), Tail Light (Chrome), Fenders (Smk Frnt, Red Rear w/Brake)
Zumo 665 - Fairing Mnt - NIM
Boom Audio Spks, Amp, Bass Booster
Chromed Out

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 11:56:41 AM »

I'm getting ready to join the many who have had their stock compensator replaced with the SE version.  When I had my last service performed the tech told me that the transmission fluid smelled burnt and that is usually indicative of a clutch wearing out.  So, I'm having them look at that too while the primary is off.  Has anyone else had a clutch problem with their 2007 CVO Ultra?  I only have 25K miles on the bike and I think that is premature for clutch problems.  Also, do you think that there is any connection between the stock compensator being inadequate to handle the stress of the 110 engines and the clutch wearing out?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My question is this, the clutch is in the primary and totally sealed from the transmission.  How can a slightly slipping clutch cause stinking transmission fluid?

Also, I'm guessing that your clutch is not "that" bad or you would have been complaining about it and not just waiting for the tech to tell you that it might be slipping.

What am I missing guys?  Does the clutch run in transmission fluid or primary oil?   :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »

Most of our members clutches run in primary oil.     :cherry:

I'd just have the se compensator put in, with new fluid in the primary and transmission and run it if it were mine at that mileage.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »

My question is this, the clutch is in the primary and totally sealed from the transmission.  How can a slightly slipping clutch cause stinking transmission fluid?

Also, I'm guessing that your clutch is not "that" bad or you would have been complaining about it and not just waiting for the tech to tell you that it might be slipping.

What am I missing guys?  Does the clutch run in transmission fluid or primary oil?   :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:  :nixweiss:

The clutch runs in the compartment containing primary oil...  The transmission runs in transmission fluid...

The "tech" may not understand....  :nervous:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

highwayking

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FLHTCUSE2 - Red
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »

I appreciate the feedback.  At this point I'm not committed to having the clutch replaced.  But I do want the SE compensator installed and while the primary is opened it's easy enough to determine any clutch wear.  They will have to convince me that the clutch is bad through visual evidence before I agree to replace it.  I have not noticed any slippage so that's why I put this thread out there to get others' experiences. 

2018_FLTRXSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Wait 6 months?... YES it was worth the wait!
    • HI

• CVO1: 2018_FLTRXSE, Gunship Grey, (Delivered July 28, 2018... after almost 9 )
    • CVO2: 2001_FLTRSEI, Grey/Black/Silver w/Hannigan Hack and a blast to ride.
    • CVO3: 2012_FLTRXSE, Maple/Black (Delivered 1/20/2012 - Traded 10/25/2017)
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »

Now that you mention it.. I do notice more friction material in the primary than I did on say my 03 Fatboy... but nothing indicative of failure.

Put the SE compensator in it and enjoy the benefits... keep the bike serviced and you should be fine....

No more Hawaii HOG Rally... ask HOG why...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:11 PM »

If it ain't slippin' or grabbin', it ain't broke (yet).  Don't let a supposed technician sell you stuff you don't need based on a bogus trans fluid odor diagnosis.  Sounds like the kind of snow sales job people get at various auto trans shops, when they drop the pan and show the customer all that gunk in the pan.

The SE compensator is a good idea, but as noted by many others since it was introduced, it has had it's own issues and isn't necessarily the best thing since sliced bread.  If it isn't installed properly (impact wrenches are verboten, for instance), it can fail pretty rapidly.  Make sure you have a qualified individual install it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 01:56:35 PM »

The clutch runs in the compartment containing primary oil...  The transmission runs in transmission fluid...

The "tech" may not understand....  :nervous:

Unless the seal between the two goes, then it may be running in both.  ???

Craig

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »

The dealer installed the SE compensator and a new clutch and my bike has never ran so good. It took them 2 years and 30,000 miles and 7 repair attempts before they got it right. That being said I hope it last....
Bill

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:07 PM »

76k on my '07 and no clutch problem.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 09:02:43 AM »

The dealer installed the SE compensator and a new clutch and my bike has never ran so good. It took them 2 years and 30,000 miles and 7 repair attempts before they got it right. That being said I hope it last....

Your a good man to give the dealer 7 repair attempts, I give them 2 attempts and move on to another dealer.
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 09:03:19 AM »

I need to get this straight since my dealer told me that the compensator in my 2008 CVO Ultra already has the SE compensator part number 40274.08. Is this correct of not?  I understood that the 2008 CVO models did not have this stronger compensator.  Thanks for all info on this matter.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.