Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clutch basket needs replacement suggestions  (Read 2019 times)

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
Clutch basket needs replacement suggestions
« on: March 03, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »

Clutch pack worn not clutch basket. I am going with the SE clutch pack and SE Spring.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 01:54:48 PM by roadrunner »
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
Re: Clutch basket needs replacement suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:03:39 PM »

How did you make out with your clutch basket and new clutch?  I had posted a photo of metal attached to my primary drain plug on this site some time ago and received a number of places to check for the source of the metal.  Since I decided to put the 30T sprocket and belt set up on my 08 SERK I was going through everything in the primary and inner primary.  Everything looked good so I was stumped as to where the metal was coming from.  I looked at the inside of the clutch hub and the splines were stripped out pretty bad.  I'm not sure I did the right thing but I ordered a new stock clutch hub and put the same clutch plates back in since they didn't look to bad.  I only have about 500 miles since this was done and Its not shifting as smooth as it used to.  I have always used Redline so it always shifted smoothly, I had an experienced mechanic help me drain the cloudy fluid in the handlebar reservoir and bleed it.  It does shift better but not as good as before I started this project.  I now realise that I should have replaced the clutch plates while I was in there.  

Can you tell me how you made out with your project and which clutch you decide to use?  Are you satisfied with your choice of the new clutch?

Thanks

Ray G.

roadrunner

• Tennessee Squire
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "I'm gonna see a man about a dog!"

• CVO1: 2015 FLHRUSE
    • CVO2: 2004 FLHTCSE (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:28 PM »

How did you make out with your clutch basket and new clutch?  I had posted a photo of metal attached to my primary drain plug on this site some time ago and received a number of places to check for the source of the metal.  Since I decided to put the 30T sprocket and belt set up on my 08 SERK I was going through everything in the primary and inner primary.  Everything looked good so I was stumped as to where the metal was coming from.  I looked at the inside of the clutch hub and the splines were stripped out pretty bad.  I'm not sure I did the right thing but I ordered a new stock clutch hub and put the same clutch plates back in since they didn't look to bad.  I only have about 500 miles since this was done and Its not shifting as smooth as it used to.  I have always used Redline so it always shifted smoothly, I had an experienced mechanic help me drain the cloudy fluid in the handlebar reservoir and bleed it.  It does shift better but not as good as before I started this project.  I now realise that I should have replaced the clutch plates while I was in there.  

Can you tell me how you made out with your project and which clutch you decide to use?  Are you satisfied with your choice of the new clutch?

Thanks

Ray G.

Did you look at your old starter sprocket and ring gear for missing or chipped teeth?

Basket ended up being ok, mis-stated by service writer, clutch material was almost in spec', metal bands not. They installed the performance clutch kit 37969-03A, SE clutch spring 37951-98, and circlip 37909-90.

I don't notice any difference with clutch engagement, but haven't driven long distance yet to get things really heated up (work keeps getting in the way).

If the basket needed to be replaced Bandit machine works in PA has a nice setup and will weld on whatever X teeth sprocket setup you want and ship!

Hope this helps!

John
2015 FLTRUSE
Clearview GP 12", Fullsac DX, 2.25 power cores with screen and TTS Tune.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:56:42 AM »

I should have been more carefull reading your original post as you did mention that your clutch hub was OK.  In my case I only found the splines on the clutch hub stripped out, the teeth on the ring gear were fine.  I checked the starter head against a new one and it looked fine.  The dealer installed starter only had a few hundred miles on it and that's when the metal started to accumulate.  Of course they said it was just a coincidence.  I had 40,000 miles on it without any metal on any drain plug, they put in a starter and the primary plug had more metal on it than the magnet could hold.

I would have gladly purchased an aftermarket hub but I was in a rush to get riding this spring.  Still have a small clutch issue so I may install the Energy one plates and spring.

Thanks for the help & make some time for yourself to ride, life is to short.

Ray

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.