Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Boulder in the Primary, normal?  (Read 4364 times)

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2018 RGU
    • CVO2: 2018 FreeWheeler
    • CVO3: 2007 VRSCX Vrod #328
Boulder in the Primary, normal?
« on: April 06, 2011, 06:48:27 PM »

2010 Ultra, 5250 miles, just got it back from replacing the motor, now there sound like a large rock smacking around in the primary when idling, 500miles since rebuild, hasn't been over 3k rpms, took it back and the service manager told me it was a "normal noise"before he even looked at it. against my better judgement i bit my lip and said "I think we are going to have a problem then". He said yea thats what HD has told them and there is no fix its normal. So i buy a 37000 dollor flag ship of a company to let it sit in the shop for repairs "crappy clear coat(still in debate on fixing it),blown shocks, blown motor, now primary noise"aka The Rock Crusher" for 6 out of the 9 months already that i have owned it. to have him tell me that its normal. Sorry to RANT but,

Has Anyone found a cure for this, or is an open primary my only option? or sell it, set it on fire, etc
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:50:59 PM by smkblwr »
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
2007 V&H PRO Stock Tribute #328 VRod
IBA Member 45500

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Boulder in the Primary, normal?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 07:41:55 PM »

2010 Ultra, 5250 miles, just got it back from replacing the motor, now there sound like a large rock smacking around in the primary when idling, 500miles since rebuild, hasn't been over 3k rpms, took it back and the service manager told me it was a "normal noise"before he even looked at it. against my better judgement i bit my lip and said "I think we are going to have a problem then". He said yea thats what HD has told them and there is no fix its normal. So i buy a 37000 dollor flag ship of a company to let it sit in the shop for repairs "crappy clear coat(still in debate on fixing it),blown shocks, blown motor, now primary noise"aka The Rock Crusher" for 6 out of the 9 months already that i have owned it. to have him tell me that its normal. Sorry to RANT but,

Has Anyone found a cure for this, or is an open primary my only option? or sell it, set it on fire, etc

I'd suggest shoving it up that service mismanager's azz, if that is the best lie he can come up with.

Let me ask an obvious question.  Are you saying that this is a noise that just started, after 5000 miles and having them replace the engine (which means they transfered all the primary stuff from the old engine to the new one, and probably screwed something up along the way)?  If the noise is "normal", then it should have been there from day one.  And it should also be on all the other 2010's, which is not the case.

I suggest you talk to someone higher up the food chain.  Start with the general manager/dealer, and if you get the same sort of BS then find a manager at H-D itself.  If that fails, check into your state's lemon law if it has one, or find a good lawyer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Half_Crazy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »

I'd suggest shoving it up that service mismanager's azz

+1

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:03:46 PM »

Based on lemon laws, the first thing to do would be to confirm that this is not a normal noise. Hopefully your dealer will compare to another bike and then agree with you that there is a problem....if not have them write up a work order with your complaint and then make sure it's written on the order as a normal noise. Then it may be time to try another dealer for another opinion. Unfortunately you may get answers like "some make this noise and some don't--just ride it"

Does the noise change with the clutch in or out?

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 08:34:24 PM »

grc that responce was hanging on my lips, hahaha
He said that it something to do with the SE comp, clutch basket and everything rotating at idle after everthing has broken in it will "clank" per HD. the tech that went to a update training class last month was told the same thing that it was a normal noise and there was no fix.

mjb765 i got the "some do some don't just ride it answer", so i asked what happens if it blows up during the dyno tuning, he said oh it won't do that.
the noise doesn't change with the clutch in or out, in gear or  out of gear, sitting at a stop light i brought the RPMs up and it quieted down. it started about 100miles from the house, so i tried different things to stop it. engaging the clutch in gear "slipping it" seemed to quiet it a little. leaning the bike left and right didnt seem to make a difference, turning the radio up then down did make it go away, rang the gremlin bell several times but that didnt help eather.

thanks guys
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:28:57 PM »

I'm betting the compensator isn't installed properly or it isn't torqued to the correct specs. 

Either way the noise is not normal and the primary cover needs to come back off to see what's what. 

ALSO FWIW Harley has a factory rep you can meet with if you insist either with the dealer management or with HD Customer service.

I hope your problems are resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards

Jerry

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 10:44:17 PM »

I'm betting the compensator isn't installed properly or it isn't torqued to the correct specs. 

Either way the noise is not normal and the primary cover needs to come back off to see what's what. 

ALSO FWIW Harley has a factory rep you can meet with if you insist either with the dealer management or with HD Customer service.

I hope your problems are resolved to your satisfaction.

Regards

Jerry

I'd inspect the fiber spacer in the compensator assembly...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:01 PM »

I'd inspect the fiber spacer in the compensator assembly...

Anyone want to take odds on whether it was assembled with a torque wrench or an impact wrench?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »

Anyone want to take odds on whether it was assembled with a torque wrench or an impact wrench?

Either that....

Or the spacer slipped off it's shoulder when the comp nut was tightened....
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:21:35 PM »

Either that....

Or the spacer slipped off it's shoulder when the comp nut was tightened....

Either way that softer and somewhat sacrificial piece is a goner.  And noisy she will be.  

I was at the local dealership a few weeks ago ogling a friend's new bike that had just arrived.  We were standing in the service department and I just shook my head as watched a guy take an impact to one of these standing about six bike lifts up from where we were standing.  As long as these things have been in service now you'd think some institutional memory would catch up....

smkblwr

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 06:40:56 AM »

To my knowledge so far it has been ridden "yesterday morning" and the tech said it sounded like "POO POO" guess thats a technical term, but has not been opened up and inspected, nor has the manager called me. The manager told my wife who works there that he didn't want to call me and tell me that it sounds normal. she told him that probly wouldn't go over very well.
Funny guess i should have just kept riding my road king to play on and bought a Wing to actually tour on. hahaha I asked the Sales guy that sold my the ultra if he had a good used wing i could trade it in on. He smiled and said we will get it taken care of. i smiled. This thing has been a nite mare from day one. I just cant beleave the poor quality that is being produce by an american icon.
2018 RGU.
2018 FreeWheeler "Wifes"
IBA Member 45500

Half_Crazy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 06:45:44 AM »

If they rebuilt the engine and they didn't properly install the compensator, wouldn't the entire engine build be suspect? I mean what else did they not install properly?

This is exactly why I don't give a damn about warranty...

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 08:51:25 AM »

:2vrolijk_21:    That's why I asked the questions in my post, to determine if the noise started suddenly after the dealership worked on it.  We've seen a consistent issue here since the SE compensator was introduced, basically that when the part is overtorqued or hammered with an impact, the thrust washer gets damaged and the compensator gets noisy.  There is also a design issue with fretting due to a materials / lubrication problem, but that isn't something that just starts overnight.  That part of the equation is something I could see the crooks in Milwaukee telling their dealers to blow off as normal, since the cheap SOB's don't want to pay to go back and fix their screwup.  Pretty sad commentary on their abilities when the big deal SE replacement (designed to fix a really lousy stock compensator design but sold as an upgrade) turns out to be just as flawed but at twice the price.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:14 AM »

There is also a design issue with fretting due to a materials / lubrication problem, but that isn't something that just starts overnight.  That part of the equation is something I could see the crooks in Milwaukee telling their dealers to blow off as normal, since the cheap SOB's don't want to pay to go back and fix their screwup.

Jerry

Jerry

Can you explain further?

SBB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:09:01 AM by SBB »

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 09:17:04 AM »

Had the same type noise in my primary on the 09 SERG and the SE compensator cured the noise along with Formula+ as lube, 3000 miles and still quiet.   Doc
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.