Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Engine free wheeled -- what's your best guess  (Read 5407 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Engine free wheeled -- what's your best guess
« on: April 06, 2011, 07:39:53 PM »

The 05 just got hinky.  While I've swapped gear sets several times I've never rebuilt one.  So for anyone with more experience than mine what's your best guess for the weirdness the red bike just perpetrated.  It:

Never made any unusual noises.  Or at least no unusual noise I could hear in a half helmet on a windy day.  No odd noises in neutral on the shop floor.

While on the highway riding to find food.  Cruise on going 70 in 5th.  Engine slightly revs, cruise control kicks off and the engine is idling. 

Obviously quickly pull in the clutch.  But releasing clutch still has engine freewheeling.  Application of throttle isn't felt at all in the drive train.

Coast to the side of the road.  Wish I'd thought to try it in lower gears as was downshifting and coasting to a stop.  But I'd already decided I'd broke a belt.

Belt wasn't broke.  Working through the gears with the engine off feels normal but the neutral light never illuminates.

Put it in neutral and roll the bike back about six feet.  Then try putting it in any gear to see if will still roll.  It won't. 

But after rolling the bike in neutral and attempting to roll it in first the neutral light is working again.  Start the bike up and it'll pull itself in first.

Thinking that the lack of scary noises and a bike that'll move at all is better than waiting for roadside assistance and a trailer home I give it a try.  Bike pulls away normally.  Worked through all the gears upshifting and downshifting.  All feels and sounds normal.  Bike made it the 20 miles home without issue.

So what happens to make a bike suddenly free wheel in 5th gear, never make an ill sound and then take off and work fine?

Ok, while you all contemplate that I'm going to take the Road Glide and go find tacos.  There's more than one way find food.

Gettinold

• 5k CVO Member
  • SOMEWHERE NORTH OF HEAVEN WHERE EAGLES DONT FLY
Re: Engine free wheeled -- what's your best guess
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:38 PM »

I'd start with dropping the the gear oil and checking the magnet for .......... Maybe the transmission gremlins found you. Good luck Don!
09 FLTRSE3   ORG & BLK
06 VRSCSE2    ORG & BLK
04 FLHTCSE   ORG & BLK    SOLD
94 FXSTS      CUSTOM

Half_Crazy

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 08:55:07 PM »

Sounds like it just popped out of 5th.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »

But more importantly---did you get the tacos?

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »

If you have a heal shifter the first idea would be sounds like your foot may have gotten to close to the shifter and nudged it a little bit and helped it pop out of gear under load into a false neutral.

HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:31:23 PM »

I'd start with dropping the the gear oil and checking the magnet for .......... Maybe the transmission gremlins found you. Good luck Don!
Did you see this one while you were on the road, if so it may be the cause
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:24 PM »

Ive had mine slip between gears before kinda faked me out but no problem kept going. A lot of guys have had the clutch basket splines strip out but then it no go period :bananarock:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »

Ive had mine slip between gears before kinda faked me out but no problem kept going. A lot of guys have had the clutch basket splines strip out but then it no go period :bananarock:

Thanks for the insights guys.

That's what it felt like Van; as if it went to neutral.  But I've never had a false neutral on a Harley gear box between the upper gears.  Also never had one when I wasn't shifting and just didn't get it home.  Wish I was more familiar with these little gear boxes.  Muncies and Saginaws are easy.  These things I don't know at all well.

Am hoping it's as simple as the thing just decided to hop out of gear.  But am still going to look things over a bit before trusting it completely.

No heal shifter so didn't bump anything either.  And if it did just hop out on its own I'm still at a loss to explain what was off to keep the neutral light from working until everything had rolled a few feet manually with the engine off.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 10:17:27 PM »

But more importantly---did you get the tacos?

Absolutely.  Road Glide to the rescue.  At a little stand about an hour away on Grand Lake.  Most excellent.

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »

Perhaps the red bike is jealous of that green bike sitting on your lift... ::)  :cucumber:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »

Perhaps the red bike is jealous of that green bike sitting on your lift... ::)  :cucumber:

You know it man.  Green with envy :mango: !

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:33:30 PM »

Thanks for the insights guys.

That's what it felt like Van; as if it went to neutral.  But I've never had a false neutral on a Harley gear box between the upper gears.  Also never had one when I wasn't shifting and just didn't get it home.  Wish I was more familiar with these little gear boxes.  Muncies and Saginaws are easy.  These things I don't know at all well.

Am hoping it's as simple as the thing just decided to hop out of gear.  But am still going to look things over a bit before trusting it completely.

No heal shifter so didn't bump anything either.  And if it did just hop out on its own I'm still at a loss to explain what was off to keep the neutral light from working until everything had rolled a few feet manually with the engine off.

Ain't that the truth!

The SEEG has a stock Harley tranny?

What clutch is in it?

I think I'd drain the primary and drain the tranny fluid...check for nasties..

Pull the clutch and check the splines...

Pull the tranny guts (pretend the case is leaking - it will all come back to you...) and look for suspicious things...

Sounds like it was between gears....but in the higher gears, I didn't think that was possible.

Check the splines on your shifter linkage...

If you find nothing, I'd suggest you trade Brian even up for his SEEG...  :)
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »

Ain't that the truth!

The SEEG has a stock Harley tranny?

What clutch is in it?

I think I'd drain the primary and drain the tranny fluid...check for nasties..

Pull the clutch and check the splines...

Pull the tranny guts (pretend the case is leaking - it will all come back to you...) and look for suspicious things...

Sounds like it was between gears....but in the higher gears, I didn't think that was possible.

Check the splines on your shifter linkage...

If you find nothing, I'd suggest you trade Brian even up for his SEEG...  :)

No Scott, it's not the stock tranny.  It's got the SE 6 speed cassette.  Clutch is the Barnett "Scorpion" in the OE basket.  

I didn't think they could go between gears in the higher gears either.  But from what some of the guys have said above maybe so?  Just got through studying an exploded diagram in both the parts manual and a service manual.  While the service manual of course doesn't specifically address the issue studying the exploded diagram I still don't think it should be able to go between gears in the upper gears.  But it ain't a Muncie or a Saginaw.  So I'm also not saying based only on a review of the exploded diagram.

Got Travis's new bike on the lift right now waiting on that 2011 ECM to come back from Revolution Performance.  Then we're doing a bit more to it.  Once his is out of the way I'll open this one up.  Look in the primary and probably pull the gear cassette just to be able to visualize it all.  It's worth a Saturday afternoon before spring and summer not to have it on my mind.  It's also easy to be relatively unbothered by it with the other bike on the floor next to it :2vrolijk_21: .

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 PM »

But I've never had a false neutral on a Harley gear box between the upper gears. 

I have and on more then one occasion.

Given your past history with that gearbox - didn't that give you a bit of a scare?
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 11:02:38 PM »

I have and on more then one occasion.

Given your past history with that gearbox - didn't that give you a bit of a scare?

Darn right.  First thought really was that I'd broke a belt.  That's exactly the way it acted.  But by the time I got to the shoulder and shut it down everything else had gone through my mind about 16 times though :huepfenlol2: .

So your stock gear box popped between gears from the upper gears?  Looking at this darned exploded view I can't quite get my head around them doing that.  But the proof of the pudding is in the eating riding.  So if you and Van and others have had it happen it obviously can.  Being a big fan of simple solutions that would obviously not break my heart either.  But I'm still liable to take a Saturday afternoon and open things up before the Eureka Springs to New Orleans to Ribfest trip just to feel better about it.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 11:07:17 PM »

Well with your previous "experience" I would think a look inside sure wouldn't hurt, ease any ill thoughts.

Just be careful pushing that big bearing out, not that I have any special "experience" with that  :oops:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 11:14:21 PM »

Well with your previous "experience" I would think a look inside sure wouldn't hurt, ease any ill thoughts.

Just be careful pushing that big bearing out, not that I have any special "experience" with that  :oops:

Amen to that.  One of the brethren here borrowed the tranny tools late winter and that crossed my mind again.  Really can't see an open tranny case without it being a quick thought.  That was ugly with a capital U.

My own anal nature on service of primary systems will make me take a look at this tranny.  But it's good to get trustworthy report from the likes of you and Van that these gear boxes can do that as I didn't think they could hop between gears up there.  Appreciate you guys' input. 

hogasm

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

It is said that there are a few people from NC that are well known for stirring the pot......me not being one of them......

first.... since you changed pipes, cams, breather, cc's.....etc....you just had to mess with STOCK didn't you :coolblue: you had to change to a 6 speed to keep up with that powerful motor :coolblue:

second....you installed that trailer hitch which put unnecessary strain on your drive train causing premature gear case failure...........good thing you are not still in warranty because the MOCO would not cover this failure :oops:

third....if you had left it stock......well never mind.....you don't listen to those NC boys anyway :2vrolijk_21:

look at the shifter drum and forks which when worn a little will induce what you are describing

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:11 AM »

Gotta be the redline.  :o

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 08:43:16 AM »

Gotta be the redline.  :o

One to many Shockproof's?

:nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:32 AM »

It is said that there are a few people from NC that are well known for stirring the pot......me not being one of them......

first.... since you changed pipes, cams, breather, cc's.....etc....you just had to mess with STOCK didn't you :coolblue: you had to change to a 6 speed to keep up with that powerful motor :coolblue:

second....you installed that trailer hitch which put unnecessary strain on your drive train causing premature gear case failure...........good thing you are not still in warranty because the MOCO would not cover this failure :oops:

third....if you had left it stock......well never mind.....you don't listen to those NC boys anyway :2vrolijk_21:

look at the shifter drum and forks which when worn a little will induce what you are describing

Uh.....   It is stock... (stock enough)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:24 AM »

Don,

I've had it happen to my cherry and I've seen it on several other bikes as well.  Each time it's been the splines on the clutch basket have sheared off.  The clutch basket spins but the transmission primary shaft just sits there.  Jim's fix has been to change to the Pro Clutch which replaces the HD basket set up.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »

Don,

I've had it happen to my cherry and I've seen it on several other bikes as well.  Each time it's been the splines on the clutch basket have sheared off.  The clutch basket spins but the transmission primary shaft just sits there.  Jim's fix has been to change to the Pro Clutch which replaces the HD basket set up.

Thanks Ernie.  I've had splines go on a clutch basket before also.  And have fixed a couple other bikes after it has happened.  If this one hadn't rode home 20 miles like nothing had happened that was thought #2 after the assumption of a broken belt.  The basket will still get a close look when I check things out.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

Thanks Ernie.  I've had splines go on a clutch basket before also.  And have fixed a couple other bikes after it has happened.  If this one hadn't rode home 20 miles like nothing had happened that was thought #2 after the assumption of a broken belt.  The basket will still get a close look when I check things out.

I guess I should have read your post more closely.  Didn't see the 20 mile ride afterward.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Boatman

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2010 SEUC-accident victim-gone
    • CVO3: 2005 SEEG-traded on 2010
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »

It'll be nice to know what you find out Don.   You don't need this much "experience".    I just think your girls get jealous and want some time on the lift.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• Porthole II
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 10:45:33 AM »

Where this is coming from makes it even funnier  :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3: :huepfenjump3:

MV 2013

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »

I guess I should have read your post more closely.  Didn't see the 20 mile ride afterward.

There's never a bad idea when considering options.  I, of course, never actually ride more than 45 mph and accelerate only slowly.  So clutch baskets should never be a problem on my bikes....  ::)

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Absolutely.  Road Glide to the rescue.  At a little stand about an hour away on Grand Lake.  Most excellent.

Have I had those before? :nixweiss: ;) :huepfenlol2:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 11:33:27 AM »

Have I had those before? :nixweiss: ;) :huepfenlol2:

No way.  Yours were definitely not lake side taco stand tacos.  Yours come from a fine local establishment called Taco Gringos :bananarock: .

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 11:37:43 AM »

There's never a bad idea when considering options.  I, of course, never actually ride more than 45 mph and accelerate only slowly.  So clutch baskets should never be a problem on my bikes....  ::)

never actually ride more than 45 mph

Air filter should be fine also!
Unless you run into a Taco cloud.

;)

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 21 queries.