Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Pressure Problem  (Read 3904 times)

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
Pressure Problem
« on: May 02, 2006, 04:52:13 AM »

This afternoon I topped up my oil tank with about 1/2 a quart of oil (500 -600ml)
The oil level appeared to be OK Just under the full hot mark & the engine was warm. That all done I went or a ride, after about 15 minutes of crusing around some back streets (oil temp up to around 200) thinking this new cam seems pretty good & could feel a difference in the mid range, I came to a main road so I gave it a bit of WOT. At a bit over 5000rpm the grin came off my face! The under side of my right leg all of a sudden got hot. I tried to look down there was oil spewing out every where & smoke like you would not believe (Oil on the exhaust)
My bloody oil cap dipstick blew out and it seemed like a gallon of oil followed it. I pulled up as quick as I could & shut off the motor. There was a trail of oil for about 100 feet behind me & a big puddle where I stopped. I walked up the street about 50 yards to find a young kid had found my dipstick. I got back to my bike & dipped it, it was still 1/4 inch above the mininium mark. (I would think that would be well under a quart to fill up to the full mark) Well I rode home slowly as the side of my rear tyre & brakes were covered in oil, infact there was oil dripping off every where.
NOW the problem is WTF happened? did I not fit the dipstick correctly(I find that hard to believe, but possible) For some reason had I over filled it? or some thing I did yesterday when installing the cams & oil pump has caused excess pressure in my oil tank. Because there is more pressure on the output side does that create more pressure on the return side in my tank. The Myst Free breather is supposed to be more efficent than the stock breather. Does any one have any ideas? Please help

PS: Not to mention my wife is trying to salvage a good pair of jeans!

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 04:53:55 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

jfscheck

• Senior CVO Member
  • also known as Da' Bear...
Re: Pressure Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 06:57:44 AM »

Don't remember what type of bike you have - but if it is an "88a" bike and you checked the oil with the bike level you might have over filled it.  Also, after shutting down the bike you need to wait a few minutes before you check it as well.  Of course it has always been my belief the "full mark" on the stick is waaaay toooo much oil for the bike...  [smiley=nervous.gif]

Either way - for what ever reason the "oil bag" had too much oil and it blew it out.  Sounds odd because it seems to me that you made sure not to over fill it but ya know - stuff happens...

"Fair Dinkum"   [smiley=drink.gif]
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 12:31:44 PM by jfscheck »
John "JFScheck" Scheck
H-D Screamin' Eagle CVO Electra Glide Ultra Classic in Autumn Haze & Vivid Black
"Enjoy life. There's plenty of time to be dead."

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 10:55:52 AM »

IMHO the hot mark is full of crap.  It's way too much oil for ANY harley.  Think about how much expansion you'd have to have to truly get to the "hot" mark.  Do you want your oil that hot????  (Just think about the oil in a frypan, how much expansion do you see at 350 degrees??)  Check it cold for accuracy, check it hot only to see if there's any still there.  You can easily do this- get the level where you want it cold, then ride hard for 20 minutes and let the bike sit for 5 minutes.  Now check the oil.  You've already indicated you can check the temp, so you'l know how hot the oil is, but I'll bet you'll find the level is still damn close to the cold mark you originally started with.  The synthetics expand even less.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 11:31:29 AM »

Aussie, the problem might not be anything you did or related to oil volume at all.  You said you could see the oil temp.  Does that mean you've got the older style oil temp reporting dipstick (i.e., not the brand new one just released)?  If so a LOT of guys reported those things blowing out once in awhile.  The fix was not to use that dipstick.  

Just a possibility to consider.

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 12:08:59 PM »

I was one who had the dipstick blow out on a hot day accellerating down an on-ramp.

/Bill

Aussie, the problem might not be anything you did or related to oil volume at all.  You said you could see the oil temp.  Does that mean you've got the older style oil temp reporting dipstick (i.e., not the brand new one just released)?  If so a LOT of guys reported those things blowing out once in awhile.  The fix was not to use that dipstick.  

Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

SEvet

• Junior CVO Member
    • AZ
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 12:37:16 PM »

A FULL oil tank combined with hard accelleration will pressurize the oil tank and pop the dipstick.  Softtails are famous for this.  I always ran my FatBoy about a cup low, otherwise I'd get blowby and the side of the oil tank was always a mess.  Never really poped the dipstick out.... but I don't know that I ever had it at 5,000 rpm either.   8-)
2015 Stage 4 Road Glide
Coming - 2016 Fatboy
Past rides;
2000 SERG w/SE heads, Race Tuner, V&H ovals
'01 FLHRI, 95"
2009 SERG Silver V&H Power Duals, 2" Fullsac baffles, HB

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 12:50:06 PM »

One thing you must do is wipe the rubber and the opening of the fill tube of excess oil. It will blow out under a hard load. It is toooo slick with excess oil around the opening. A little extra crankcase pressure and it is gone. I'm suprised it blew completly out though. They usually just come lose and blow oil out.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

syclone

• Full CVO Member
  • IF YA CANT AFFORD TO BREAK IT-- DONT RIDE IT
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:52:12 PM »

And make sure you're checking the oil level correctly when hot....on a soft tail with it's oil bag...you've got to let it idle about two minutes before you shut it off to check the level ..or the oil tank will not be full ...and you'll add too much and be overfilled .
Just my opinon......I could be wrong

'05 SEEG  114"  all bore motor

04 night train 95" 10.5:1 KBs,ported and decked heads, tw55g cams,rollers,3.37,44cv
01 Dyna,95" ported SE heads,wood t

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 09:47:43 PM »

If I was to pull the plug but not change the filter how much oil to refill my Fatboy (would 3 quarts be enough?)

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:19:44 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 09:50:29 PM »

yeah, the analog type

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:23:55 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 05:16:58 AM »

Twolane is this the one you mean? & does it only come out if you twist & pull?

Oil Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Read out

Add function and style by replacing your stock dipstick with this hardworking version, which includes a beautiful chrome cap and LCD (liquid crystal display) oil temperature read out. The read out is push button operated with an automatic shut-off in five seconds and operates within plus or minus one degree. Designed also to stay on up to 15 minutes if desired. Fahrenheit or Celsius can be changed with a simple push button operation. The read out is displayed with a rare blue light background for easier operation at night. All LCD dipsticks now incorporate an updated and more heat resistant LCD electronic unit. Twin Cam LCD dipsticks also [highlight]include an improved twist and pull cam-lock removal feature.[/highlight] Designed to be waterproof with replaceable standard battery. Patented.

62970-02B

IN-STORE PURCHASE ONLY Contact dealer for pricing and availability.

Fits all '00-later Softail® models.

MSRP US $89.95

Cheers
Aussie

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:22:26 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 06:34:57 AM »

Twolane,
I forgot to mention your a ''legend" mate, fitted my stock dipstick after degreasing my whole bike & went for a bit of a run . I nervously took the revs to the limit & there was no problem. But unfortunately this has still left me a bit paranoid about it happening again. Does the new LED dipstick have a locking system??? Also do you know the part #.
I assume this is not the one you mean 62970-02B

PS: I rekon the oil was a touch over full as well.

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 06:46:11 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 09:19:36 AM »

The non-softail version has a "lock" to speak of, but the picture you showed did not have anything like the other version.  Caution with the lock style- if turned the wrong direction, you'll screw it up and it'll come apart on you.  The top will be in your hand and the stick will be in the hole.  It may not happen immediately after turning the wrong direction, it may take several months before it comes apart.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 11:47:02 AM »

Twolane is this the one you mean? & does it only come out if you twist & pull?

That's the one that so many seemed to have problems with.  They've been changed from what you see pictured there though.  Now have this robust "looking" bearing/lock system that is also on the new oil level/temp dipsticks.  Though they look pretty robust have already heard of a couple of the new ones breaking when they got twisted too hard or the wrong direction (or something).
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 11:51:10 AM by twolanerider »

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 06:20:05 PM »

Any idea of a part # for Softail??????????

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 21 queries.