Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: Pressure Problem  (Read 3907 times)

hogasm

Re: Pressure Problem
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 08:22:11 PM »

Aussie,  Have you done any work to this motor? If so then did you upgrade the oil pump? It is possible that the spring is allowing too much pressure to build up in the pan. If I am correct the pressure guage wont read what the pressure is in the pan. This will cause the dip stick to come out.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 08:31:56 PM »

Aussie,  Have you done any work to this motor? If so then did you upgrade the oil pump? It is possible that the spring is allowing too much pressure to build up in the pan. If I am correct the pressure guage wont read what the pressure is in the pan. This will cause the dip stick to come out.

hogasm,
Yes I fitted a feuling super pump & lifters & also the Zippers pressure relief spring shim.
Do you know a fix??

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 10:40:30 PM »

I have one of the older temp dipsticks and had it a couple years on my Road King with no problems. Then when I took ownership of my Banana momma and I went for a little scoot and I got on a nice open road and let er rip and heard a ewe, ewe, ewe.....I look down and my dipstick came up but not all the way out. Mommas foot and ankle was covered with hot oil! :o I had a couple T shirts in my bag and cleaned it up and drove home and bathed the new Banana.

I reported the incident on this site and found out that the twist lock mechanism was the culprit! I now push in the dipstick and give it the pull test to be sure it's down! If I have to adjust the position of the read out I ALWAYS remove it and push it down where I want it! 10,000 miles and no further incidents. Sorry it got you too! :'( God Bless!

JR [smiley=banana.gif]

« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:41:57 PM by J.Rud »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 10:43:55 PM »

I'm not familiar with the system on a Softtail, but the Dyna and Touring models have the oil pan vented directly to the cam cavity in the engine (the chrome line with the rubber end all the E-glide folks bitch about).  As long as the oil pan is not overfilled, it will not be pressurized by the scavenge side of the pump.  The Softtails remote tank has to be vented also, check to make sure nothing was kinked or blocked during your engine work.  Do not overfill, since that will defeat the venting system.

Jerry

Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2006, 07:12:44 AM »

I'm not familiar with the system on a Softtail, but the Dyna and Touring models have the oil pan vented directly to the cam cavity in the engine (the chrome line with the rubber end all the E-glide folks bitch about).  As long as the oil pan is not overfilled, it will not be pressurized by the scavenge side of the pump.  The Softtails remote tank has to be vented also, check to make sure nothing was kinked or blocked during your engine work.  Do not overfill, since that will defeat the venting system.

Jerry

Jerry,
It is similar on the softail I checked it out & the oil tank has a vent pipe which goes to the cam cavity,
I must have over filled it, as I gave it a bit of a work out today & had o problem. One thing I did notice was since changing the oil, the oil seems to heat up a lot quicker. I'm not sure if it is because the oil is circulating faster or because I did not use syn3 this time, I just used a standard 20/50 oil(for V-Twins) As I seem to be changing the oil at 1200 - 1500 mile intervals, so I figure a good quality non syn oil will be fine.

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

lucky1

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2006, 10:08:45 AM »

I was getting a slight leak at high revs on my FLSTFSE. The chrome trim piece on the side of the seat was pushing the oil cap to the side. I made a small adjustment to the trim piece, and no more leak.(Please don't tell my dealer that I touched MY bike, or they'll Void my warrenty.) If your oil is getting hotter sooner, the bearings are doing the same. Syn oil can handle higher temp than conventional oil.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 05:16:24 AM »

I am still having some problems with my oil tank & pressure, I hadn't started it for a week & the oil light did not go out for about 10 seconds when I started it. I figured that while sitting the oil drains fron the tank down into the motor & it is not until the scavange pump refills the tank the pressure pump can get oil. I must have damaged an O-Ring on assembly. I did check the stick after warming up & the level was fine but 4 hours later there was nothing on the stick. I guess I will have to take her apart for a look! Any suggestions???

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:19:04 AM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2006, 03:18:42 PM »

Aussie,

I have the same problem with the pumpkin i need to leave it about 1/2 short of the line on the dipstick or it will build up to much pressure in the case and well create a lawn dart.   I figured it out the hard way by adding 3 quarts and then just adding a bit until it blew out again and found a happy medium to not have it happen again.   I didnt want to guess for a long time and have it blow out on the wife somewhere.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2006, 05:06:34 PM »

Aussie,

I have the same problem with the pumpkin [highlight]i need to leave it about 1/2 short of the line on the dipstick [/highlight]or it will build up to much pressure in the case and well create a lawn dart.   I figured it out the hard way by adding 3 quarts and then just adding a bit until it blew out again and found a happy medium to not have it happen again.   I didnt want to guess for a long time and have it blow out on the wife somewhere.

-harry
You're talking measuring it 'cold' over on the sidestand,  right   Harry?    spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2006, 05:59:45 PM »

Aussie,
Don't see one listed for the softails which has the LED oil level, seems so far only available for touring models.  >:( Here's the info on the other model, but this does not have the robust looking device that seems to lock the dipstick that the touring models do.

Oil Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Read out
This product is available in multiple variations. Be sure to look for the one that fits the specific model and year of your motorcycle.  62970-02B  Fits all '00-later Softail® models.

MSRP US $89.95 Oil Temperature Dipstick with Lighted LCD Read out

« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:02:28 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2006, 07:48:46 PM »

I am still having some problems with my oil tank & pressure, I hadn't started it for a week & the oil light did not go out for about 10 seconds when I started it. I figured that while sitting the oil drains fron the tank down into the motor & it is not until the scavange pump refills the tank the pressure pump can get oil. I must have damaged an O-Ring on assembly. I did check the stick after warming up & the level was fine but 4 hours later there was nothing on the stick. I guess I will have to take her apart for a look! Any suggestions???

Cheers
Aussie

Yep Aussie you have a problem. You need to open her up and look at the pump and the O ring on the connector.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »

THE DAWG,
I was waiting for your reply to confirm my fears, do you think this may have caused any internal damage? (I have only done a couple of hundred miles in this condition) Could this be wet sumping a little bit?

Cheers
Aussie

PS: Its too cold for me to ride at the moment anyway 12 C (about 50 F) I will have a look inside during the week if I get a chance or next week end at the latest.
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2006, 10:20:32 PM »

THE DAWG,
I was waiting for your reply to confirm my fears, do you think this may have caused any internal damage? (I have only done a couple of hundred miles in this condition) Could this be wet sumping a little bit?

Cheers
Aussie

PS: Its too cold for me to ride at the moment anyway 12 C (about 50 F) I will have a look inside during the week if I get a chance or next week end at the latest.

Aussie I think you will be OK but DON'T RIDE IT UNTIL you correct the problem. When they wet sump they also produce a lot of heat. After the repair you must change your oil and filter.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2006, 11:19:50 PM »

Aussie I think you will be OK but DON'T RIDE IT UNTIL you correct the problem. When they wet sump they also produce a lot of heat. After the repair you must change your oil and filter.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

Thanks, I'll let you know what I find!

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2006, 04:37:53 PM »

Yeah, had a badly damaged O-ring. Obviously happened on assembly, this time fitted the pump to the cam support plate first & fitted it in the cam chest as one piece. It appears to be a better way to do it & avoid any O-rings moving. Changed filter & tried my C.O.R.S. It was great. Also fitted a Arlen Ness rocker box mounted pressure guage. Thats unbelievable 70psi cold at idle & 30psi hot at idle (just ordered a 100psi replacement guage as the Ness only comes with a 60psi) & about 60psi when crusing at 3000rpm also seems to run about 20 -30 degrees F cooler. The oil use to get to about 230 but it did not even get to 200, but it was a cool day. It now feels, sounds & runs bloody great.

Cheers
Aussie [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 04:39:58 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.