Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Front sprocket  (Read 2365 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Front sprocket
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:29:43 AM »

On my 2009 Ultra the front sprocket nut retainers two bolts broke off and along with the retainer were just rattling around. Today I will install a new sprocket, nut and retainer. What could cause this?
Bill

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
Re: Front sprocket
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 02:44:46 PM »

Muddypaws, maybe they weren't tight enough in the first place. I have found a lot of fastners on my bike (same as yours) that I would consider just barely tight enough or on the loose side, even  my rear caliper bolts were just barely tight enough. I torqued them after I checked my rear brake pads and the bolts went about 1/4 turn farther when I put the caliper back on to reach specified torque. ( I have been marking every bolt before I undo it so I do not over torque when putting things back together). The bolts I have worked on were only related to my 5k service and things I would normally check before a long ride. There was another post on this and alot of guys have found things not tightened enough besides me. Now I have something else to check. Good luck with your repair.CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2003 FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLTR (faux CVO)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:56:48 PM »

On my 2009 Ultra the front sprocket nut retainers two bolts broke off and along with the retainer were just rattling around. Today I will install a new sprocket, nut and retainer. What could cause this?

Just to clarify - - when you say front sprocket are you speaking to the transmission final drive sprocket on the inside of the primary chain case. I ask this to clarify for those that might not be sure what you mean when you say "front sprocket"

To answer your question, what would cause those two bolts to break would be that they were loose and over time the movement created by their being loose weakened them to where they sheared off. Not something I've ever heard of but certainly within the realm of possibility as evidenced by the fact that you are posting about it here. Reality trumps conjecture every time ! 

B B 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 04:06:48 PM »

I'm guessing that you're talking about the trans output sprocket.  And the two bolts you're talking about are only there to secure the locking plate, and shouldn't be subject to shearing loads under normal circumstances.  I'd suggest you check the actual sprocket nut for tightness, after checking the sprocket and shaft splines for wear.  Something is most likely moving around when it shouldn't.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 05:00:42 PM »

I'm guessing that you're talking about the trans output sprocket.  And the two bolts you're talking about are only there to secure the locking plate, and shouldn't be subject to shearing loads under normal circumstances.  I'd suggest you check the actual sprocket nut for tightness, after checking the sprocket and shaft splines for wear.  Something is most likely moving around when it shouldn't.

Jerry

EXACTLY !

Jerry always says it better !

B B

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:17 PM »

It's all new so I'll see what happens. My guess is when the dealer installed a new main shaft they did not tighten the nut before putting the lock on.
Bill

Spiderman

• aka Spiderman "guest"
  • 1K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »

It's all new so I'll see what happens. My guess is when the dealer installed a new main shaft they did not tighten the nut before putting the lock on.

Oh chit, your stealer had your trans apart ? :vrolijk27: 

That explains a lot !!!!

B B

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 07:03:42 PM »

The dealer will never touch my bike again. I have a former Harley employee that will do all my work and he does it for less then half of what HD charges.
Bill

timtoolman

• never enough torque!!!!!!!
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Hillside Stg 4 117, S&S 66 T.B. Woods 400-6, Rush 2-1 Wrath
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 04:51:24 PM »

why not just do it your self???  very easy

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• Re/Max
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 05:15:54 PM »

I have a guy that does all my work now that the bike is out of warranty. $150 for a 10,000 service. That includes all oils and filter.
Bill

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 21 queries.