Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bike in shop and guess what- needs compensator replaced - so SE or no? non CVO  (Read 4711 times)

mastergunnera8

• Full CVO Member
  • Retired Army (ARMOR) CBT Vet

Hello all,

Looking for some advice.  Have an 09 Electra Police. In the shop for Stator leak and compensator, among a few other things.

Its under ESP and I have to decide ASAP if I want to go with the SE compensator.

Looking for some advice...they have the OEM comp in stock, would have to order the SE...so out for 5 or more days..

Is there a 'driving' difference between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! I'm a Harley newbie..I know tanks, but not Harleys...

Service person there also stated they use syn3 in all 3 holes??

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4

Hello all,

Looking for some advice.  Have an 09 Electra Police. In the shop for Stator leak and compensator, among a few other things.

Its under ESP and I have to decide ASAP if I want to go with the SE compensator.

Looking for some advice...they have the OEM comp in stock, would have to order the SE...so out for 5 or more days..

Is there a 'driving' difference between the two?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! I'm a Harley newbie..I know tanks, but not Harleys...

Service person there also stated they use syn3 in all 3 holes??

You should install a SE compensator without question.  There is a reason new bikes come with the SE compensator as a stock item now.  It is added protection for your crank...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4

You should install a SE compensator without question.  There is a reason new bikes come with the SE compensator as a stock item now.  It is added protection for your crank...
+++  Without QUESTION!!!  SE COMPENSATOR!!!  Forgive the yelling..... :drink:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6

i think these guys are serious about using the SE >:(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 08:53:03 PM by smkymtnboy »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

If you need a new compensator on a '09 model, that should tell you something about how good that stock compensator is.  As sadunbar said, there is a very good reason why the later models, CVO or not, have the SE version installed as standard equipment.  By all means, if they will install the SE version then do it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mastergunnera8

• Full CVO Member

Thanks Guys...I mean...THANKS GUYS!!!

Its an extra $140 bucks and another week and a half without my bike...they have to order it...I'll suck it up...

as usual much help....less stress....

its been so nice here...crazy good riding weather...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Call around to other dealerships.....they should have it in stock.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

mastergunnera8

• Full CVO Member

Call around to other dealerships.....they should have it in stock.

I wish!!!

I tried that route, but the dealer wont do parts transfers or allow for parts to be installed if it doesn't come straight from their parts counter...

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max

For sure install the SE version. Sounds like your dealer is a dick about where the parts come from.
Bill

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

I wish!!!

I tried that route, but the dealer wont do parts transfers or allow for parts to be installed if it doesn't come straight from their parts counter...

Reason enough to find a different dealer next time.  Along with explaining to this one why you are leaving...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

mastergunnera8

• Full CVO Member

They said its a liability issue...I had bought a derby cover and some other parts (bought elsewhere at the 20% discount) that I was thinking they could just put back on when they had the cases cracked, but i will just have to do that myself...not that its a bad thing...I'll learn something and get my hands dirty on my bike...

I was looking at using a bigger dealer around here, but this place is 5 minutes from the house, so with family and being busy, made the logistical choice......rookie mistake..

So I take it from these comments that other dealers would, for example, put on a supplied derby cover when reassembling?

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 08:37:40 AM by mastergunnera8 »

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

Some dealers may have policies about installing aftermarket parts.  I've not run across this, but it is understandable why some may not want to install aftermarket parts.  

But refusing to install new factory MOCO parts obtained outside their dealership - that would be something I've never heard of...  :nixweiss:
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

Actually, I've heard of a few places that also won't install even genuine H-D parts if the customer brings them with him instead of purchasing them at the dealership.  I don't consider it a wise business decision, especially if the shop isn't exactly overflowing with work, but I can understand the thought process.  Kind of like when people buy those cheap tires on the internet and then want the local dealership to drop everything to mount and balance them.  A lot of places will just show you the door; if it was my shop I'd smile and say yes sir, I'll get right on that, then I'd charge you extra labor compared to what I charge the folks who buy the tire from me as well.

Anyhow, that shouldn't have anything to do with the subject of this thread, which is getting an SE compensator from another local dealer since this dealer doesn't have one in stock.  Out in the real world, which many Harley dealers don't seem to belong to unfortunately, dealerships and shops buy and sell parts from each other all day long.  Any dealer who refuses to do so just to save a few pennies in discounts or to build up his parts purchase bonus from H-D while screwing over a customer doesn't deserve your future business.  Very short sighted IMHO.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

The dealer where I bought my '04 refuses to install anything you didn't buy from them .... and they've been doing that for 5 or more years now.  I'd never heard of it at the time, either, and was completely dumbfounded the first time they told me about it.  They also cited liability reasons and alluded to being in a lawsuit at some point related to parts that someone carried in, they installed and which later failed.  Don't know all the circumstances, but apparently, this practice is becoming more popular now.

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser

They can order the parts under a down bike and have the partss hipped next day .  Dealer does it for me.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.