Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Primary tensioner  (Read 3502 times)

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
Primary tensioner
« on: July 07, 2011, 09:54:21 AM »

Ok, ordered the new SE compensator for my 2008 FXDSE.  I am wanting to replace the stock chain tensioner while it's apart due to obvious issues with the HD ratcheting type auto tensioners.

I have read here about several aftermarket replacement tensioners , so what I would like to know is who is still running what and how is that working out ?  Just looking to make an informed choice. Thank You

:jalapeno:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
Re: Primary tensioner
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:23:01 PM »

bump

.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »

I'm not aware of a large number of aftermarket primary chain tensioners on the market for the '07 and later bikes.  The only other one I've seen for those bikes is a variation of the harley wedge design by SOHB.  
http://www.sohotbikes.com/wedge.html

I remember some on this site trying them, so there must be an existing thread.  Try a search for SOHB tensioner.  Here's one link:   http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=50237.0

Jerry
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:31:41 PM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:06:23 PM »

Thank you Jerry, I read several of the older threads before opting to start this one as I still have questions.

UPDATE: I called Hayden about the possibility of an M6 series tensioner for later model big twins and was told they have engineered one and have plans to begin sales any day now.

I would really like some input from anyone that has installed a non-ratcheting tensioner (regardless of tensioner make) on a 110" and put some hard miles on it, and would like to hear experiences , good bad or indifferent.....thank you

:drink:

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 12:49:53 AM »

Tensioners .....anyone ???    I am reading of people both loving and hating the SOHOT HB Wedge so I'm torn.....anybody have some miles on one of these ?

......or running any other tensioner ??

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 06:17:12 AM »

I have the HD ratcheting tensioner on a 120 build with 60K miles and haven't had a single issue with it or any other problem related to it. Not sure why the HD tensioner is claimed to be a problem.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

Hx3

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6 - Blue
    • CVO2: Not CVO - 2008 Crossbones
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »

I have the HD ratcheting tensioner on a 120 build with 60K miles and haven't had a single issue with it or any other problem related to it. Not sure why the HD tensioner is claimed to be a problem.

I agree with Pete.  I put the HD auto tensioner on both my 99 RKC and my 03 Ultra and had no problems or issues, and I liked not having to do the primary chain adjustment.  The fact every 07 and later bike has these and you don't hear (at least I haven't heard) of hardly any issues may be why you aren't getting more responses.

moscooter

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 08:15:43 AM »

:cherry:
I replaced the stock tensioner on my 110 about a year and a half ago.  I went with the SOHB hydraulic tensioner mentioned earlier in this post.  It is working fine for me and it has been a few thousand miles since it was installed.  It does (NOT) have the ratchet teeth on it like the stock unit has which can cause a too tight condition.

I had an M6 on my old 2001 RK,  and it worked well too,  but I like the hydraulic setup.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »

Thanks all for input !

My HD OEM tensioner is continually ratcheting up too tight , so it is an existing problem. Just trying to make best choice for replacement.

This whole 2008 FXDSE thing has been a continual journey of replacements , OEM failures, mods , etc. ........and to think , I opted to purchase a new Screaming Eagle Dyna for a reliable ride to take time away  from my project bikes !   If the 2008 were just half as dependable as my old Shovelhead , life would be great ! Hate to sound as if I'm regressing, but my next bagger is gonna be an Evo build, or at least 2006 or older if I opt to go EFI Twin Cam route.
:soapbox:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:01:13 PM by Shovelhead »

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 05:35:13 PM »

ordered the SOHB hydraulic tensioner.....like the monkey said when the train ran over his tail; "it won't be long now"

:cucumber:

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 21 queries.