Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Oil Filter  (Read 4376 times)

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Oil Filter
« on: June 06, 2006, 08:47:14 PM »

This has probably been discussed on here before, but I can't come up with anything in a search....

Recommended Oil Filter for the Ultra?  HD or maybe K&N?  Any advice will be most appreciated.......Thanks in advance!!
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: Oil Filter
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »

I've always used HD filters.  Might be wise to inspect before you purchase, though.  I've had the experience of gettin' back to the Garage, only to find rust around inlet ports. :o  Not good. >:(  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 06:55:07 AM »

I use and stock the newer HD filters I also use and stock Amsoil filters. Both seem to be fine as the new HD filters are a lot better than in the past. I believe down to 5 microns but will have to check.  

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

Puzzled

• Vendor
  • 5k CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Road Glide Custom (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 2001 FLTRSEI2 Road Glide (SOLD)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »

I use and stock the newer HD filters I also use and stock Amsoil filters. Both seem to be fine as the new HD filters are a lot better than in the past. I believe down to 5 microns but will have to check.  

Be Safe

THE DAWG
Did they change them. The early Twin Cams were 10 micron and the Evo's were 30 micron (from memory). I'd be interested in an alternative to the HD filter at $13 a clip. My Dually Diesel takes a two quart filter and is around $10!
 [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
2023 CVO Road Glide
2003 Rigid Springer Chopper "Puzzle" Bike 26"

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:21:50 AM »

Check these out and give me your expert opinion....I found them when looking for the AC when I "rolled my own" system per the thread. The nut to remove seems like a handy thing.  They don't give the microns, just "meets or exceeds" OEM. Click the "more" link for more tech talk.  Since they make such excellent AC filters, I figured they must do a good job with this too.  Don't have a basis for comparison though.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-171C

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 09:19:41 AM »

Check these out and give me your expert opinion....I found them when looking for the AC when I "rolled my own" system per the thread. The nut to remove seems like a handy thing.  They don't give the microns, just "meets or exceeds" OEM. Click the "more" link for more tech talk.  Since they make such excellent AC filters, I figured they must do a good job with this too.  Don't have a basis for comparison though.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=KN-171C

TCnBham,

I use the K&N oil filter, and the nut on the end is nice for removal versus screwing with a regular filter wrench.  I wasn't able to locate any information on the "micron" rating, but I did read an article about a year or so back where a gentleman tested oil filters, and the K&N was rated higher than the H-D 10 micron for removal of particles without bypassing.  The finer H-D filters tend to bypass quite often, which means the oil goes straight to the engine without filtration.  Since the oil doesn't bypass on a regular basis with the K&N, the higher micron filter actually outperformed the H-D part over time.  The filters H-D has now "claim" to be 5 microns, BTW.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

. . . The finer H-D filters tend to bypass quite often, which means the oil goes straight to the engine without filtration.  Since the oil doesn't bypass on a regular basis with the K&N, the higher micron filter actually outperformed the H-D part over time.  The filters H-D has now "claim" to be 5 microns, BTW.

Jerry

Jerry, I thought the filter had to be in pretty bad shape (i.e., full of crud) before it would bypass.  If that's not right, what would cause the filter to bypass regularly?

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 11:10:33 AM »

One thing that got my interest on the K&N was the "anti-backflow" feature,which they claim allows oil to reach vital parts faster on cold starts.  For all I know, all filters may do that now, including the HD.  But I'm ignorant at this point about the oil flow in the Twin Cam engines, so don't know if this would be something to be concerned about or not.   [smiley=confused5.gif]  

TTS Mastertune

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 11:20:33 AM »

I've e-mailed the tech dept at K&N to find out the specs for their filter...will post when/if I get a response.

OK.....this is full blown A/R OCD...at least I can recognize it in myself.  It's those damn voices that are so annoying...... :o

TTS Mastertune

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 11:49:58 AM »

One thing that got my interest on the K&N was the "anti-backflow" feature,which they claim allows oil to reach vital parts faster on cold starts.  For all I know, all filters may do that now, including the HD.  But I'm ignorant at this point about the oil flow in the Twin Cam engines, so don't know if this would be something to be concerned about or not.   [smiley=confused5.gif]  
The big difference in the Twin Cam oil flow from previous H-D's is that the oil now goes to the filter first, before flowing to the rest of the engine.  Seems like a pretty common-sense method, but H-D didn't see fit to do it that way until the TC came out in 1999.  BTW - I haven't noticed any difference in the amount of time for oil pressure to register between the H-D filter and the K&N, so I don't think the "drain-back" thing is an issue either way.

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 11:59:01 AM »

Jerry, I thought the filter had to be in pretty bad shape (i.e., full of crud) before it would bypass.  If that's not right, what would cause the filter to bypass regularly?

Brian,

I wish I could find that article I alluded to, but it has to do with the spring force that regulates when the bypass occurs.  Any time the pressure difference between the intake and exit sides of the filter reaches a certain value, the oil bypasses to protect the engine.  The problem is that the pressure difference will be higher with a lower micron filter media, and the H-D filter bypass setting is too low to keep the filter from bypassing even when the filter isn't really clogged up.  The article I read actually tested the filter bypass pressure settings, and the H-D was significantly lower and thus it bypassed much more often.

Jerry

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 12:08:06 PM »

Jerry, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation.  If that's the case, that's scary! [smiley=nervous.gif]  Might have to switch to the K&N next time.

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 12:08:40 PM »

Knowing that Jerry doesn't just make this stuff up, it makes me think twice about my oil filter choice at next service. Thanks for the input!  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Midnight Rider

• 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 12:21:21 PM »

Jerry...that's some good information to know, and makes really good sense.  That's what's so great about this site...learn something new EVERY day!!    [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

TTS Mastertune

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 01:14:13 PM »

Jerry,
If you find the article, it would be interesting to know WHAT pressure the HD filter bypasses vs the KN.  If it's bypassing at 60psi, while the KN is at 80psi it really won't make much difference as our motors never build that kind of pressure anyway.  Think of all the leaks we'd have if they did!
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.