Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Something went terribly wrong after 30T install  (Read 15506 times)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Something went terribly wrong after 30T install
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:38:07 AM »

So it looks like I just made one of the biggest mistakes as a Harley Owner. I decided to use a private mechanic to install my new 30T sprocket with drive belt. I dropped off the bike on Monday 8/22/2011 and it was running perfectly. The mechanic called me today and said "We have a problem" so I was extremely concerned. He told me that there was something now wrong with my transmission and he was unsure if he caused it or it was an existing problem. He described the problem as a loud grinding and I thought he was referring to the clutch chatter I have always experienced with this bike. I asked him to change the transmission fluid and he called me back to say that the fluid was gold in color and that something was coming apart in the transmission (see attached picture).  After arriving at his house I paid him (Yes, he took my $300.00) and began to ride off. As soon as I attempted to accelerate I heard what sounded like gravel being poured into a metal can. I immediately stopped, turned around, and returned to the mechanics house. After explaining that the noise was NOT pre-existing he was unable to provide me with an explanation or a solution so I was forced to call the dealer for a tow. The bike is now unrideable and I totally regret having this mod done by someone I don't know or have never met.  >:( >:(

If anyone knows what may have happened to my transmission from a sprocket installation please reply so I can try to understand myself. I do know this, he was having a difficult time removing the sprocket nut and had to seriously force it off. He almost had to cut it off but was able to get it loose after getting some help from a friend (or 2).

Picture of what he found after the installation

This is what I found after draining his fluid that he just put in a few hours ago. I only drove the bike for 2-3 minutes.

hogasm

Re: Something went terribly wrong after 30T install
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:51:26 AM »

Maybe went the wrong way with the nut :nixweiss:

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:54:01 AM »

If your mechanic did not have the proper tools to do the switch, it would be very difficult.
It IS possible to damage the mainshaft with improper procedure, which may or may not be the case.
JMHO, of course.
You will have to pull it apart again to at least check transmission......sucks, but, if you have noise......well........
 8)
HOGMIKE

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:17:15 AM »

Maybe went the wrong way with the nut :nixweiss:

That was my first thought.  Didn't realize there were left handed threads out there and beat hell out of the mainshaft with an impact or breaker bar.  But a guy would have to be incredibly stupid, not just abnormally stupid but incredibly stupid, not to realize something unusual was going on there before he tore something up.  Not to beat someone while they're down; but have to wonder how much "savings" were had by taking a $30k+ bike to a guy with no shop, improper tools and no known reputation?

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 10:39:07 AM »

That was my first thought.  Didn't realize there were left handed threads out there and beat hell out of the mainshaft with an impact or breaker bar.  But a guy would have to be incredibly stupid, not just abnormally stupid but incredibly stupid, not to realize something unusual was going on there before he tore something up.  Not to beat someone while they're down; but have to wonder how much "savings" were had by taking a $30k+ bike to a guy with no shop, improper tools and no known reputation?

Made than same mistake with a local here but he was a very experienced Harley wrench, he installed a 6 speed gear set in my old Autumn Haze, broke the bearing retainer in the case, gear set moved, took out the whole gear set, got to buy a whole new trans..Oh well..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:12:33 PM by Texas 103 »
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:47:13 AM »

Made than same mistake with a local here but he was a very experienced Harley wrench, he installed a 6 speed gear set in my old Autumn Haze, broke the bearing retained in teh case, took out the whole gear set, got to buy a whole new trans..Oh well..

That's a huge bearing.  I've seen cases against which someone hooked up the bearing puller the wrong way and broke the case with the case failing before any real harm was done to the bearing.  It takes a lot of experience to screw up that bad Greg :huepfenlol2: .

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 10:56:54 AM »

That's a huge bearing.  I've seen cases against which someone hooked up the bearing puller the wrong way and broke the case with the case failing before any real harm was done to the bearing.  It takes a lot of experience to screw up that bad Greg :huepfenlol2: .

IMHO, it would help if you read the service manual for your bike!
This applies to the independents, also. There ARE changes through the years!
just my 2c
 8)
HOGMIKE

Ghost__Rider

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »

I would guess he twisted the mainshaft trying to get the nut off the wrong way. I've done four pully swaps and no problems. I would think he is liable for the damages. Like HogMike says, He should have read the manual!!! With the right tools it's a relatively easy job.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 11:57:28 AM by Ghost__Rider »
2017 CVO SG, Suburban Speed 130" kit, Fullsac Stainless DXpipe, 2" Fullsac Cores,2014 CVO Limited, Fullsac DXpipe, Fullsac 2 1/4"CVO cores, TTS Matertune w/Fullsac Custom Map, Andrews 54 Cams. Spank You Very Much!!!
2012 Street Glide, 107cu.in./.625 T-Man cams, SE Pro CNC ported Heads, 10.8 Comp., 58mm ThrottleBody, 5.3inj, D&D Borzilla 2in1 Exhaust

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:33 AM »

Don,

Do you think Duane might see this post?
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »

Don,

Do you think Duane might see this post?

Don't remember Duane's failure.  But a buddy north here in Kansas City did exactly that (with my borrowed tools).  Busted the case like Roseanne's pants after an all you can eat rib buffet.  Though the bearing itself showed no visual signs of distress.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »

Don't remember Duane's failure.  But a buddy north here in Kansas City did exactly that (with my borrowed tools).  Busted the case like Roseanne's pants after an all you can eat rib buffet.  Though the bearing itself showed no visual signs of distress.

I am sure Duane wanted to put this away forever, but he was kind enough to share his pain when he installed the Baker DDS6.

bent tools and all
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »

more
Formally FLHTCUSE3

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 04:34:32 PM »

A cheap lesson for me.......

Had I done this to my bike, I would not have spoke of this for weeks........

Thanks Duane for the orig post,

Now I am pretty sure this will never happen to me
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 04:38:29 PM by Keats »
Formally FLHTCUSE3

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 07:20:02 PM »

Wow, that is a tough lesson to learn.  I'm not very experienced with working on my bike and my mechanical abilities are average at best.  I read the complete post on the subject, called Steve for some much appreciated advice, read the manual and borrowed the tools necessary.  Maybe I was just lucky but I had no issues with doing the 30 tooth sprocket conversion.  Steve told me he did his in about 2 hours, being very challenged I needed 7 hours.  I was even quicker when the belt broke after 3000 miles.  Someone was not using common sense to do that kind of damage.  Hope things work out for you. 

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 08:42:43 PM »

Update:

The mechanic I took my bike to was referred to me by 7 other friends who have used him for everything from basic exhaust / tune / and high flow filter installs to engine rebuilds. I thought he would be more than qualified to work on my machine and he never led me to believe he did not have the expertise to perform the work requested. I am very mechanically inclined but decided to use a qualified mechanic (at least I thought he was qualified) rather than tackle the job myself since he quoted me 4 hrs @ 42.00 per hour (even though he charged me for 5 hours since he was probably trying to get the sprocket nut off the wrong way  :o ) and I would have paid more than that for a service manual and the tools. I should have just done it myself, I am seriously kicking myself now  >:(

The bike is being picked up tomorrow by a local dealer and they will tear it apart on Sunday or Monday to inspect what happened. Every tech I spoke with today (including Steve from Fullsac) verified that the mechanic is absolutely responsible for what occurred and should step up to the plate like a reputable businessman. I already tried to call him today without a return call and will give it one more attempt after the bike is torn apart and the damage can be photographed (for legal reasons) and the estimate can be put together. My dealer cannot submit this for warranty since the damage is most likely not a common failure of the components. They did assure me that they would attempt to work the warranty issue if it looked as though the damage was NOT caused by the sprocket install but they are 99% sure it was due to negligence and/or lack of knowledge.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.749 seconds with 21 queries.