Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Inner Primary to Trans Mainshaft Bear Toasted  (Read 11100 times)

TB

• Full CVO Member
  • Name: TB
Inner Primary to Trans Mainshaft Bear Toasted
« on: September 03, 2011, 09:56:56 AM »

Road my 2008 FLHX to Sturgis from Michigan only to have a loud "howling" noise coming from the primary.  Decided to tear it appart in the campground.  The large roller bearing behind the inner clutch basket that is pressed into the inner primary and supports the transmission mainshaft was completely toasted.  The inner race showed distinct wear grooves and the rollers were flattened in several areas. 

Thanks to Burt Baker and Baker Drivetrains, I was able to borrow enough tools to pull the inner race (yes- it is now pressed onto the tranny shaft) and change out the bearing and seal.  Burt's thought is that the new hydraulic change tensioner is tighting the primary chain to the extent that is over loading this bearing.  He has been seeing quite a few failure of this type.

By the way, the HD dealer in Rapid City didn't have to look up the bearing number and had it in stock.  Hmmm, I wonder why????
TB
2008 FLHX, 103 Big Bore, SE Air Cleaner and re-map, Klock Werk windshield.
2005 Assembled - Grim Reap'r -100ci RevTech, Prowler frame.
1993 Sportster - Steam Roll'r - 1200cc, 200 front tire, Paucho springer.
more photos at:  www.nccycle.com

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
Re: Inner Primary to Trans Mainshaft Bear Toasted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 10:00:07 AM »

Time for Baker's primary bearing and Se Comp assembly maybe.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 10:12:39 AM »

Road my 2008 FLHX to Sturgis from Michigan only to have a loud "howling" noise coming from the primary.  Decided to tear it appart in the campground.  The large roller bearing behind the inner clutch basket that is pressed into the inner primary and supports the transmission mainshaft was completely toasted.  The inner race showed distinct wear grooves and the rollers were flattened in several areas. 

Thanks to Burt Baker and Baker Drivetrains, I was able to borrow enough tools to pull the inner race (yes- it is now pressed onto the tranny shaft) and change out the bearing and seal.  Burt's thought is that the new hydraulic change tensioner is tighting the primary chain to the extent that is over loading this bearing.  He has been seeing quite a few failure of this type.

By the way, the HD dealer in Rapid City didn't have to look up the bearing number and had it in stock.  Hmmm, I wonder why????

It's been a problem since H-D launched the new style primary on the 2006 Dyna's, and they even had a service campaign on those initial Dyna's to change out the bearings at 15k miles because they were aware of the potential for much higher than normal failure rates.  Ever since, there have been many reports of those bearings failing in '07 and '08 models, haven't heard as much about the latest models. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:34:39 PM »

the bearing will give you a little warning. with the primary hot, clutch lever out and trans in neutral you will hear
a slight whirling, howling, grinding noise. then pull in the clutch lever and put trans in gear. if the noise goes away
it's the inner primary bearing. if your not looking for it ,it will get real bad before you'll notice it.
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 04:15:15 PM »

I've lost two of them on my '07. One at 19K , replaced with oem. Then at 30K, replaced with Baker. No problems noticed at 63K while replacing my second comp unit and a shifter shaft seal

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »

I havnt used the baker bearing. looks like i better look in to it.  thanks ,      axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »

Lost it in my '08 Ultra at about 25K.  This was after putting on a chrome Inner Primary at 10 K.  Was making noise again when I traded it in with 47K.  43K on my '10 SEUC with no problems (there anyway).
Spada84
NoSofa!

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 06:48:32 PM »

What is the difference with the Baker bearing?  Is it a different style, load rating??

Do we have a root cause for the bearing failures?
TB

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »

What is the difference with the Baker bearing?  Is it a different style, load rating??

Do we have a root cause for the bearing failures?

The Baker bearing's primary improvement was that it eliminated the separate race.  A bearing-only installation.  OD is the same as the original bearing with ID the same as the ID of the original race.  This solved a problem of the race "walking" under heavier torque loads and taking out a seal.  From what is said above, however, apparently the Baker bearing will take loads better than the newer bearing setup also.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 10:20:02 PM »

Does Baker offer a their bearing for the 07 - later scooters?

JW

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 10:21:06 PM »

Does Baker offer a their bearing for the 07 - later scooters?

JW

Yup, that's what we were talking about, the late model primary and cruise drive trans bikes.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 10:22:50 PM »

Yup, that's what we were talking about, the late model primary and cruise drive trans bikes.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I was under the mistaken idea they did not. Good to know. Off to the Baker web page.

JW

TB

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 08:14:14 AM »

Keep in mind that HD made a change to the diameter of the transmission mainshaft as some point (recently).  I'm not sure what year, but they reduced the diameter of the mainshaft at the point that the seperate inner race is pressed on.  This allows for a "step" on the shaft preventing the inner race from walking into the seal in the transmission and ruining the seal.  My '08 has this step (more like a ramp) in the mainshaft, thus the ID of the inner primary bearing inner race is slightly smaller than previous models.  Again, not sure when the cut over happen.
TB

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:34:54 AM »

Road my 2008 FLHX to Sturgis from Michigan only to have a loud "howling" noise coming from the primary.  Decided to tear it appart in the campground.  The large roller bearing behind the inner clutch basket that is pressed into the inner primary and supports the transmission mainshaft was completely toasted.  The inner race showed distinct wear grooves and the rollers were flattened in several areas.  

Thanks to Burt Baker and Baker Drivetrains, I was able to borrow enough tools to pull the inner race (yes- it is now pressed onto the tranny shaft) and change out the bearing and seal.  Burt's thought is that the new hydraulic change tensioner is tighting the primary chain to the extent that is over loading this bearing.  He has been seeing quite a few failure of this type.

By the way, the HD dealer in Rapid City didn't have to look up the bearing number and had it in stock.  Hmmm, I wonder why????

Keep in mind that HD made a change to the diameter of the transmission mainshaft as some point (recently).  I'm not sure what year, but they reduced the diameter of the mainshaft at the point that the seperate inner race is pressed on.  This allows for a "step" on the shaft preventing the inner race from walking into the seal in the transmission and ruining the seal.  My '08 has this step (more like a ramp) in the mainshaft, thus the ID of the inner primary bearing inner race is slightly smaller than previous models.  Again, not sure when the cut over happen.

I'm somewhat confused, which is also a normal state of mind for me. Did the dealer sell you a HD bearing or did you get a Baker bearing? I assumed since the parts guy did not have to look up the p# you got a HD part.

I'm unable to find a Baker inner bearing for my 08 SERK but I have the computer skills of a gnat.

JW

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 09:40:01 AM »

I'm somewhat confused, which is also a normal state of mind for me. Did the dealer sell you a HD bearing or did you get a Baker bearing? I assumed since the parts guy did not have to look up the p# you got a HD part.

I'm unable to find a Baker inner bearing for my 08 SERK but I have the computer skills of a gnat.

JW

Jeff,

The way the story reads, TB used BBBT's (borrowed Burt Baker tools) to install the HD bearing...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 21 queries.