Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Updated Compensator  (Read 1425 times)

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2006 flhtcuse 1
    • CVO2: 2007 flhtcuse 2
    • CVO3: 2008 flhtcuse 3
Updated Compensator
« on: October 31, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »

Does the updated SE compensator have the same number of teeth as my original compensator on my 2008 Ultra?  I am now getting a lot of fifth and sixth gear chatter at 2000 or so RPM since installing the new compensator. Just can't figure it out. Thanks.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Updated Compensator
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 05:01:57 PM »

Does the updated SE compensator have the same number of teeth as my original compensator on my 2008 Ultra?  I am now getting a lot of fifth and sixth gear chatter at 2000 or so RPM since installing the new compensator. Just can't figure it out. Thanks.

Yes, same number of teeth on the sprocket.  It seems you've had a couple noise issues since your dealer replaced the compensator and the inner primary bearing, which might lead one to question their work.  There is nothing about the new style SE compensator that should cause a noise that wasn't there before the change, if it's installed correctly and the thrust washer isn't damaged.

I'm not sure how the rear drive is set up on your trike, but if it uses a rubber cush drive at the rear pulley like a stock bike you may have an issue with that.  The ones Harley came out with in '08 had a tendency to wear prematurely, and when the rubber biscuits wear you can get a knocking noise like you described once before, and loose motion that is very noticeable at low speeds.  Just throwing out ideas.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »

Are you actually riding in fifth and sixth at 2K RPM?  Or did you mean 3K?

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »

Don't normally but a good test to check on increased loud chatter that wasn't there before. Normally use sixth above sixty MPH on flat surfaces, fifth if in hilly country.  What is your RPM/gear change practice?

The rubber cush drive was not compatible with the Motortrike kit so that noise possibility is elimated. This trike kit has been on my bike for over three years/27,000 miles and has always performed beautifully. I did take noise issue back to dealer a few days later and all was disassembled and assembled again only to find nothing that could cause the chatter.

Thanks for imput.

Jim in Georgia

gmills

• Full CVO Member
  • from the new jersey shore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 08:16:30 AM »

I never ride at less than 2500 rpm's in any gear
moose aka glenn at the New Jersey Shore

mcdonaldroadcapt

• CVO Third Time around
  • Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 08:54:37 AM »

Maybe over the years of riding I have become slower and have not realized it. Started out on Triumphs and Nortons fifty-five years ago so I have been riding a long time. At age 72, I will try and speed up the RPM again and see if that helps. I do know that I do not have the noise at mid to high RPM.

Thanks

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.