Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Author Topic: Yeah, Sure . . . It's A CVO --  (Read 15024 times)

grayghost731

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Built For ME! Love My Fatboy CVO

• CVO1: FLSTFSE Platinum Mist&Slate 102.81 HP 113.47 Torque
Re: Yeah, Sure . . . It's A CVO --
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 08:00:25 AM »

Reminds me when I had mt '69 Z28.  A regular Camaro is nice but it was no z28   No matter what, and I've seen it trying to be done, it's still not a cvo. Cheaper to just buy one than trying to make one yourself too.  It's all in the vin.  Not the wrist this time.  :)

Right - no matter how you customize your  bike , It is what it is at the end of the DAY !

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 08:10:28 AM »

When it says CVO on the vin it will hold a higher blue book value than a non cvo no matter how many upgrades you do.

2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »

Like anything else the "value" of a CVO comes in the designation and understanding that it was built in the Custom Vehicle Operations facility. This is verfied by the VIN number.

An analogy to this might be a diamond. What makes a diamond valuable? Mankind says it is.  A diamond is rare, it shines, its durable, but so are many other stones. We, as mankind placed a "value" on a diamond. Cubic Zirconia is very popular and serves the same purpose in many ways, but it is not a diamond. What makes an original Shelby Cobra much more valuable than a Cobra kit car? With all of todays technological advances those kit cars are probably better than the original Cobra. But we all know it's not a "Real Cobra". To those who want a real Cobra the kits will NEVER be the same. To those to whom it does not matter a kit car is perfect.

Sure, it can be done, take a factory bike and build it up like a CVO. Paint it the exact same color, bolt on the exact same parts and badges (if you can find them since CVO decorative parts and badges are supposed to be sold only to CVO owners who MUST produce the original part prior to buying the replacement), and if the rider is happy with it then nothing else matters. They have ther own bike the way they want it. But since it did not come from the Custom Vehicle Operations as indicated by the VIN number, it is not a CVO. The flip side is you can take a CVO, change the paint and all the parts, and it will still be a CVO because of the VIN nunber. It may not be as "valuable" or desirable as it's twin in original condition but it's heart and soul is still a CVO.

The thing that frustrates some riders is that when they are through building their own "CVO", it's still NOT a CVO. They have something "Like a CVO", but it's not a CVO. Then they calculate all the money and time they spent and reaize they just should have bought a CVO in the first place.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

2010 FLHX

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 08:21:27 AM »

-- Sounds like a lot of RUB . . .

Heatwave

• 1K CVO Member
  • ‘10 CVO Ultra 120/127 & ‘17 CVO LTD 140/151

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Limited (Garnet/Red) 128ci
    • CVO2: 2010 SE Ultra (Red/Slate)
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 08:24:25 AM »

Try selling that comfortable old shoe with a CVO price tag on it? Good luck getting any of your $ back on thos upgrades.

2010 FLHX

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

Try selling that comfortable old shoe with a CVO price tag on it? Good luck getting any of your $ back on thos upgrades.

I didn't add all these custom features so I can sell it.  :P

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 08:34:37 AM »

Don't think I'd ever be considered "rich" and I've been riding since the early 70s.

Sounds more like denial.  All the "wishing" in the world can't make it a CVO if it wasn't born a CVO.  And I don't care how much money you dump into it.....it'll never have the resale value of a CVO.  It is what it is. :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »

I see how a person could look at it that way. But that's not the point. If a rider is happy with what they ride, than that's ALL that matters. Don't worry about what others ride and question what makes it what it is. Just build your own bike the way you want to and enjoy riding it. Let everything else go.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

dooinit2u

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2015 SESG UltraViolet Blue / Hot Lava ***SOLD***
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 08:48:59 AM »

Ya gotta love them CVO's!

Dont be Hatin' on CVO's. EVERYONE has the same oppurtunity to own one. Some of US see the "Value" in buying one and some don't. We all had the same chance when we walked in the dealership.

I.E. My brother in law bought a regular ultra to "save" money from the CVO price tag. Before he left the dealer, with the 103, stage 4 upgrade, and all extras(grips, floorboards), he has as much ( in 1 year of upgrading) in the "standard ultra that I have in my SEUC, and still dosen't have a CVO.

The decision is ours when we walk in, to buy the best the MOCO has to offer, or settle for a standard ultra with upgrades.

Try comparing a Corvette to a ZR1, No comparison...

Thanks for letting me get MY point across...
Paul

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 09:42:53 AM »

You know the old saying is very appropriate for this thread:

"If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand."

Just sayin....

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2011, 09:46:34 AM »

It's the gold key ;D  No matter how much we've customized our previous bikes no one has gold plated their key  :P :D

wideglidejoe

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 11:08:56 AM »

Trapperdog,

2010 FLHX can get his key gold plated, but his bike still won't be a CVO, and that is what is eating him up!P

Hey there 2010 FLHX, Welcome to the forum! But a word of advice...........it is a CVO forum.  You don't have to own a CVO to hang out here, but don't come on here as a brand new member putting down CVO's or their owners. Some of your posts since you've joined indicate you may have an attitude or a grudge because we chose to purchase a CVO and you chose not to.  If you chose not to purchase a CVO, that's cool too!  We respect your choice, so please respect ours. Just because we were able to buy a CVO doesn't make us RUB's, since you've used that term in a few of your posts.  I've been riding since the early 60's, and I've just recently bought a CVO. Two other Harley's before that, but several other small metric bikes before that because I was raising kids and putting them through college, because I wasn't able to go to college myself and I wanted to make sure they did.  Just because I'm a CVO owner, doesn't make me a RUB. I have humble (poor) beginnings on a small farm, we struggled to get by in the 50's & 60's.  Since then I have always tried to work hard and treat others the way I would want to be treated, and God has blessed me, for which I am very thankful. 

Ride Safe!

2011 FLHTCUSE6 Blue
2005 Wide Glide
1962 Mustang Bronco Scooter
1972 Indian (Italjet 50cc) minibike
1965 AC Cobra replica
1955 Chevy Bel Air

danner55

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 Big Red "Izzy"
    • CVO2: 1989 FLT TOUR GLIDE CLASSIC
    • CVO3: 1997 Heritage Springer Softail
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 12:12:11 PM »

wideglidejoe ,

I could not have said it better! Your story reminds me of my life. Alot of us CVO owners can relate!

A CVO is  a Harley, but a Harley will never be  a CVO!
IBA #63514
If you can't run with the big dogs stay home on the porch!

MadCVORG

• '11 FLTRUSE
  • Senior CVO Member
« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2011, 12:14:21 PM »

I'll second that.  I'm a regular working stiff who just happens to be working in the midddle of Nowhere, Afghanistan. Good pay, allowed me to buy my CVO, but the drawback is the crappy living conditions, bad neighborhood, and the inability to even ride until next fall.  Took the opportunity, though....CVO.

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 12:17:03 PM »

I gotta get me one of those chrome cowbells !!!

Anybody know the part number for the cowbell with CVO emblem ????

:bananarock:
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9  All

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 21 queries.