Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Handle bars have to GO!!!  Help!  (Read 11514 times)

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Handle bars have to GO!!!  Help!
« on: July 09, 2006, 01:40:46 PM »

I rode my new bike home and after 150 miles, the area between my shoulder blades were killing me.  It hurt so bad at lunch that I had a numb feeling.

I am looking at maybe going 9 or 10" bars (Chubbies? or any suggestions).  I have no clue how to get around the tach problem.  What have someo of us done and and you willing to share/post pictures please.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Handle bars have to GO!!!  Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 03:21:37 PM »

Personally I like the CVO FB bars.  How tall are you and what's the length of your arms.  Your dealer may be able to help adjust the bars a bit.  That said, if you are looking for a straighter bar, try the Bombay bars from HD, they are fat and will hold the internal wiring, they are also taller.  If you do pull your old bars off and don't want them anymore, let me know.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448766874&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302289407&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302289407&bmUID=1152472815956&bmLocale=en_US

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 03:24:52 PM »

Welcome to the site NE-Tacoma,

Check out the link below you will find what I done. Also tunedse2 just had a set made in the same shop here down under I expect he will be posting new installed pics very soon

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1130355658

Cheers
Aussie
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 03:28:44 PM by AUSSIE_FLSTFSE »
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 03:37:27 PM »

damn, I am drooling.  Exactly what I need but I have no clue how I'd do all that.  Bars would wind up being mounted backwards if I did it.

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 03:45:30 PM »

Oh,  I am 5'7 and about 175 lbs.

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 03:59:33 PM »

The Bombay bars are similar to what Aussie and Tuned have done custom and will relocate your tach hire up on the bar.

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 10:29:01 PM »

went to HD dealership and the Part guy looked me like I was on drugs.  In the end, he went into the HD website and found it.  Said it may be 3 weeks before they get any but that it may be a custom order.  Like he knew what he was talking about...geez!

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 10:38:09 PM »

went to HD dealership and the Part guy looked me like I was on drugs.  In the end, he went into the HD website and found it.  Said it may be 3 weeks before they get any but that it may be a custom order.  Like he knew what he was talking about...geez!

Tacoma,

Hope you didn't order them they won't fit! they are not set up for the hydraulic clutch.

Also if you are interested in my opinion: They are crap in comparison with the T-Bars + your tacho will be sitting up there and you will have athe wiring loom exposed which will also look crap.    (Just my 2 cents worth)

Cheers
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 11:22:58 PM »

I will most likely not sweat the tach.   Will change out to a bar that I like (Chubbies or Carlini or something like that), then either not have a tach, run the HD tach with different housing or get a nice after market deal.

I rode the bike again and covered maybe 70 miles.  The area between my shoulder blades are once again hurting....

One thing I learned with my 03 (esp since I rode it to Sturgis and back from Seattle) is that you just have to set up the bike for max comfort.  Had a Mustang seat, then worked on getting the handle bars to my comfort.   Windshield.   Once that is done, you can easily run 500 miles a day and not feel pain.   I have no clue how the old school guys used to do it.   But you can bet your bottom dollar they all have serious back problems.

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2006 SE FatBoy Autumn Haze
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2006, 10:17:11 AM »

Mine is going in wednesday, pics to follow. I set them in the clamp just to take a look and I am really happy with them. Should have pics by weekend.

NE-Tacoma06Fatboy

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 03:40:47 PM »

good, I will be waiting to see them..  what will the custom bars cost?

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2006, 04:58:56 PM »

$380.00 including shipping and insurance. I just got bumped to monday, so the pics will be delayed to the middle of the week. I will post the day I get it back. I'm also getting the pop up fuel cap and gauge installed while its there.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• Aussie's home page
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »

$380.00 including shipping and insurance. I just got bumped to monday, so the pics will be delayed to the middle of the week. I will post the day I get it back. I'm also getting the pop up fuel cap and gauge installed while its there.

Can't wait to see them Jim, are they the same as mine or did you change a bit??
As with any bars that have welded joints you should keep the chrome polish up to them. if neglected they can start to rust in the joints. I have seen this happen, but mine nearly 12 months old still look like new. Got to keep polishing those bugs off!

Cheers [smiley=drink.gif]
Aussie
FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

tunedse2

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 05:00:53 PM »

Can't wait to see them Jim, are they the same as mine or did you change a bit??
As with any bars that have welded joints you should keep the chrome polish up to them. if neglected they can start to rust in the joints. I have seen this happen, but mine nearly 12 months old still look like new. Got to keep polishing those bugs off!

Cheers [smiley=drink.gif]
Aussie

Mike, They are very similar to yours, I think they are taller. The bar from Center of the top to center of the piece that goes through the clamp is 10 3/4. Outstanding quality, they do have some welds but very little, they polished most of them completely away. I took the clamp off, removed the old and set them in and tightened them just to eye it up, I have good vision of the tach from 1500 to 6500... I am really excited thanks for the connection... Pics to follow.. I have my Corbin Hollywood solo on also so It will be a multiple change post..

fatboyse2

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 05:28:56 PM »

I rode the bike again and covered maybe 70 miles.  The area between my shoulder blades are once again hurting.....

Part of it may be that the FB is made for the FB ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 20 queries.