Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who here has had a low mileage bent valve?  (Read 996 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Who here has had a low mileage bent valve?
« on: July 22, 2006, 08:16:17 PM »

Looking to see if this is a common problem, my bike just bent an exhaust valve at 11k, 16 months old.

This was the only thread I could find, and it sounds strangely similar to my problem

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1126781359/7#7

About three weeks ago we went through a very similar problem with my dad's bike, Ultra with a 1550 and 203 cams in it..  He road it all day (350 miles) and when he went to start it the next morning it wouldn't fire.  After several hours of diagnostics we determine that the valves hit.  The exhaust valve was bent and the valve guide was cracked.  The tip for us was the compression was basically zero.  I hope it isn't this and if it is you are still under warranty.

:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
Re: Who here has had a low mileage bent valve?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 09:57:04 PM »

Haven't heard of it being a common problem on a stock motor.  Have heard of a few bikes with adjustable push rod backing off and bending valves.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Who here has had a low mileage bent valve?
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 02:24:16 AM »

Looking to see if this is a common problem, my bike just bent an exhaust valve at 11k, 16 months old.

This was the only thread I could find, and it sounds strangely similar to my problem

http://flhrsei.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1126781359/7#7

Must be something in the water Duane.  Just read a PM with someone asking what would cause someone to bend a valve in both holes?  So someone is even worse off than you are man.  I remember a thread of yours a couple days ago saying your bike broke.  Is this what happened?  A bent valve?

Since you're asking about commonality I've got to assume the dealership is giving you the run around.  Asswipes.  Got to admit I've not heard of any rushing chorus of bent valves to help you out here man.  Can't imagine what the dealership is hanging their hat on though?  These are direct linked mechanical systems after all.  With the rev limiters you really can't float one unless you just really screw up.  And you didn't do that.  Furthermore, even if you did how they gonna prove it?  To deny a warranty claim they've got to be able to (eventually) prove abuse after all.

Are they blaming you after only looking far enough to find the valve?  Or have they also opened up the cam cover to make sure nothing slipped, broke or otherwise helped it molest itself?

If they're giving you the run around then do an end run on them.  Go the bad paint thread in the Ultra section.  There were actual names and numbers of real people who actually aren't the intern on the phone we're all stuck with when you call Harley and who will never send you to anyone who might actually help.  Start calling the names and numbers we've got.  Someone will pass you on to someone in the right shop just to get to stop listening to you if you're persistent enough.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 21 queries.