Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Jim's/HD 120  (Read 3118 times)

SPIDERMAN

Jim's/HD 120
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:51:49 PM »

OK,
      I have a firm price from my dealer for $7,200 for a completely assembled Jim's 120 with a 51mm throttle body and everything I need to swap the motor myself. Still waiting to hear on the 12 month warranty. Is it valid if I install the motor or does the dealer have to do so ? Dealer wants 8 hrs to install.  My plan is to swap out the motor myself and then have my dealer do a baseline map on my SERT and then find John Golden at Biketoberfest for the final dyno tune with 3 or 4k on the motor. Here's my question. Oil cooler or not. The 120 is not set up like our 103's with the fitting on the front of the motor for the oil cooler. so I'd have to use a different set-up.

Dawg   Hubbard   any help ?

Thanks
          Big B

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Jim's/HD 120
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 06:05:40 PM »

Air/Oil Cooled High Performance Motor, and you live in a warm climate. I think an oil cooler would be a good investment. JMHO

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 04:12:53 PM »

I don't run an oil cooler on the 124 here in Florida and I have not had any issues.  Should I put on the bike probably, but havent really seen a need to thus far.

Check the rider down area I left you a message there spidey about this topic.   I believe you can save a little more than a few hundred bucks or for the same price or close to it get head work done.   I havent tried in a while, as I was considering buying the motor at palm bay hd here in florida they had it on sale for 5800 only problem is the motor as i understand it has a 30 day warranty which starts on the day the motor is delivered to the dealership.   I have not heard of anyone getting a 1 year warranty out them unless they are getting an S&S motor and in some cases depending on how you order it you can get a 2 year warranty if memory serves me correctly.

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2006, 04:19:21 PM »

Forgot to ask you, but and not sure where I got the information, but I was under the understanding he didnt do Race Tuners (John Golden I mean).   Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Also if you need a map to at least get you around with the Race Tuner, I have a 124 map that will at least get you safely where ever you want to go.  let me know if you need it.

Thanks,

-harry
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2006, 05:24:58 PM »

Forgot to ask you, but and not sure where I got the information, but I was under the understanding he didnt do Race Tuners (John Golden I mean).

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2006, 06:36:40 PM »

That's my understanding, too, from Twolane.

John Golden is THE MASTER with the Power Commander.

Why use a race tuner when you can have a Power Commander or even better yet a Thunder Max?

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

3hawgs

• Junior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 03:55:11 PM »

John Golden either does not like the SERT or doesn't understand it and will not "tune" your bike unless you have a Power Commander.

JL

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006, 05:23:58 PM »

John Golden either does not like the SERT or doesn't understand it and will not "tune" your bike unless you have a Power Commander.

JL

I am not arguing with anyone here since I don't know much about electronics, HOWEVER I was told by a MoCO tech on the 800 line that the SERT is a lot more programmable than a PC and the reason most tuners do not use the SERT is they do not understand how to make them work their magic. I was a believer in this until you all mentioned that JG does not work with SERTs. I have seen JG tune bikes and have had him tune a couple of mine and I believe him to be the best tuner in the country, so now I am wondering what the deal is between the SERT and the PC  I would greatly appreciate one of you electronic Yoda's giving me a lesson

Thanks
             Big B

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006, 06:13:25 PM »

JL

I am not arguing with anyone here since I don't know much about electronics, HOWEVER I was told by a MoCO tech on the 800 line that the SERT is a lot more programmable than a PC and the reason most tuners do not use the SERT is they do not understand how to make them work their magic. I was a believer in this until you all mentioned that JG does not work with SERTs. I have seen JG tune bikes and have had him tune a couple of mine and I believe him to be the best tuner in the country, so now I am wondering what the deal is between the SERT and the PC
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2006, 06:47:19 PM »

Jerry,

I see a different issue yet the same.   The problem is there is no real way to know on the SERT what is 10,20,30,40,50,80,90,100 percent throttle so you are always guesstimating with the SERT.   Yet you have the ability to not lie to the ECM / be an extra piece of hardware that could go belly up.   You also have some other considerations such as Volumetric efficiencies to tune the bike.  The problem is most tuners really arent EXPERTS with the SERT while the PC allows guys to run a set problem and only have to be slightly intelligent to tune beyond that.
the other issue is time it takes to do such a fine tune as the SERT properly costs the dyno guy to much money / time / energy to be cost effective to the consumer.

Hence they come up with Canned maps in the beginning then slightly adjust them to your bike, but instead of adjusting through volumetrics .. they adjust through A/F so the bike really never runs perfect because the V/E isnt right if it were and you changed the A/F to what you wanted the A/F should change too unfortunately in most cases it does not.    

-harry

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2006, 07:13:28 PM »

So it sounds like you're saying that if I could find someone who really fully understands the SERT and was willing to commit to several hours of dyno time, I could get a better tune with the SERT. In brief the MoCo tech on the 800 line told me the truth. Now all I need to do is find a way to get Elvis to Juneau Ave and have the guy who invented the SERT do my dyno runs and tune.  Hey, nobody said this was easy.  :D

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2006, 07:37:18 PM »

So it sounds like you're saying that if I could find someone who really fully understands the SERT and was willing to commit to several hours of dyno time, I could get a better tune with the SERT. In brief the MoCo tech on the 800 line told me the truth. Now all I need to do is find a way to get Elvis to Juneau Ave and have the guy who invented the SERT do my dyno runs and tune.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2006, 07:37:37 PM by Rjob749 »

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 09:55:21 PM »

I think Neal Taylor spent five, or six hours, tuning Ol' Maudie this past April.  He said something about installing the latest update in my SERT, and then re-mapping the current MAP, or some chit.  As has been said, Neal explained to me the SERT had so many different combinations, as opposed to the PC, if one had really mastered the SERT, one could attain better performance with the SERT.  There endeth the lesson.  Later--HUBBARD        
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 10:06:03 PM »

Thanks Rob , Hubbard    

Patience in all things is a the key  

Now all I need is to verify what the warranty situation is on this motor  

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 06:54:46 PM »

Everyone.

Just got back from Sturgis last night. Left Cody, Wyoming @ 8:30 am got in to Calgary @ Midnight, had a two hour delay, had to wait for a flat bed to take bike 30 kms (18 miles) to my house, dead battery.

Since I had Lee Uhrich (Jarz Performance) remap a custom MAP for the bike I have put on 3,500 mile on it, bike runs great and I
« Last Edit: August 11, 2006, 06:55:39 PM by geezerglide »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 21 queries.