Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traffic ticket in Utah? How to keep it from affecting your insurance....  (Read 6765 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Another member suggested I post this.....as he's speeding across the Nev. Utah desert. ;D

Terrie and I both got a speeding ticket just outside of the park boundry of Bryce Canyon National Park.  Radar, as he was coming from the opposite direction. 

Technically, a radar unit should only be able to tag one vehicle.....especially when they're 100 yds. apart.  But I couldn't find a local attorney to fight this for us and my concern was two speeding tickets hitting our insurance at the same time (we're both on the same policy).  The closest was an hour away and of course he'd have to make several trips back and forth and I'd be paying for that.

Then I called the court directly and as Betty related to me....two weeks later, Billy hadn't turned in his tickets for that week yet (yep, they were all on first name basis).  But she did tell me about a plea that's called "plea and obeience".  In short, you plead guilty and pay the fine.  Ninety days after they receive that you go to your local DMV office and get a copy of your driving record and send to them.  If you haven't had any other violations show up on that DMV print out, your case will be dismissed.  The insurance company isn't any the wiser and neither is your home state DMV. :2vrolijk_21:

Terrie and I received our case dismissals in the mail last Sat. :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Re: Traffic ticket in Utah? How to keep it from affecting your insurance....
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »

Damn JC, that's impressive! How much were the fines?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Great work JC!    :2vrolijk_21:

Just to clarify :  Utah Code -- Title 77 -- Chapter 02a -- Pleas in Abeyance

If your plea is held in abeyance in a Utah criminal case, and if you comply with the terms and conditions of the plea in abeyance agreement, your case will be dismissed. Even if you were required to enter a guilty plea as a condition of the plea in abeyance agreement, it will not show on your criminal record as a conviction.

However, both while your case is pending and even after it is dismissed, the charges may still show up in a criminal background check. To fully clear the charges from your criminal record, you will need to apply for an expungement.

Under Utah law, the waiting periods to have a conviction expunged can be as long as ten years. But if your case has been dismissed, the waiting period is only 30 days.

If you have had your case dismissed pursuant to a plea in abeyance agreement, you may be eligible to have the entire matter expunged from your record.

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

fresh oil and pipes

• Enjoying Life More Than Ever!!!!!
  • 1K CVO Member
  • RedNecks, White Socks & Blue Ribbon Beer

• CVO1: One of the Fast Green Ones
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »

Also commonly referred to as a deferment but very difficult for a CDL holder to get. Should the court get "noticed" giving those to CDL holders it can affect matching funds for roads, bridges, etc. Congrats on your success.
"Let's Roll" Life is Short, Choose your Battles Wisely "Let's Roll"

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 02:27:23 PM »

Here lots of the small towns will let you off for the "court costs", which typically total more than the ticket, but those they do not have to give 50% to the state.  On local traffic tickets they are required to give the state 50% of the traffic fine (but none of the court costs) so they have an incentive.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:52:47 PM »

Great work JC!    :2vrolijk_21:

Just to clarify :  Utah Code -- Title 77 -- Chapter 02a -- Pleas in Abeyance

If your plea is held in abeyance in a Utah criminal case, and if you comply with the terms and conditions of the plea in abeyance agreement, your case will be dismissed. Even if you were required to enter a guilty plea as a condition of the plea in abeyance agreement, it will not show on your criminal record as a conviction.

However, both while your case is pending and even after it is dismissed, the charges may still show up in a criminal background check. To fully clear the charges from your criminal record, you will need to apply for an expungement.

Under Utah law, the waiting periods to have a conviction expunged can be as long as ten years. But if your case has been dismissed, the waiting period is only 30 days.

If you have had your case dismissed pursuant to a plea in abeyance agreement, you may be eligible to have the entire matter expunged from your record.

Criminal case? :o   Does that mean I could rob a bank.....not get in any trouble for 90 days and have it wiped off my record?  Damn Greg....I should have just hired you! :2vrolijk_21:
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 21 queries.