Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Author Topic: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.  (Read 24560 times)

RedFXR2

Re: Billy Lane hits a rider with his pick-up.
« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »

Update:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 12:31:02 PM by RedFXR2 »

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2006, 12:58:29 PM »

I would have to say the fact that the victim rider was legally drunk may have an effect in a civil case where they divide the responsibilty and guilt for an accident.
Having the victim drunk can help build a defense somewhat if there is other evidence such as the victim swerved into the supect's path etc. If it comes to be that the victim commited no action that contributed to his own death other than a high B.A.C. it should not have much effect on a criminal verdict.
It is a tactic to dirty the victim's rep so the suspect's punishment will be lesser too. A jury will go lighter since its not like he hit a nun on her way to church.
Sad situation.

RedFXR2

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »

I would have to say the fact that the victim rider was legally drunk may have an effect in a civil case where they divide the responsibilty and guilt for an accident.

I'm sure this is Lane's lawyers' plan.  Especially if it goes to a jury.

Something to think about:  If a Park Ranger had been sloppy drunk while passing on a double yellow, driving  on a DUI-suspended drivers' license, and hit a kinda drunk chopper-riding Billy Lane and killed him, would folks think Lane's BAC contributed to the accident?

It's been really interesting watching how divided the riding community has been about this whole Lane thing.  This latest revelation is going to make it even more so.

For example, did you notice the reader comment on the linked article, where the apparently pro-Lane reader implies that Morelock could have been able to swerve to avoid getting hit if he wasn't impaired?  Would that argument ever be made if the roles were reversed?

BK

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2006, 02:34:26 PM »

I'm sure this is Lane's lawyers' plan.

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2006, 04:36:12 PM »

The problem with all this is that NOBODY was in the right....both parties were impaired and BL did pass two cars illegally.....

If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.....

napalm
napalm

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #125 on: November 14, 2006, 09:05:00 PM »

The problem with all this is that NOBODY was in the right....both parties were impaired and BL did pass two cars illegally.....

[highlight]If you can't do the time, then don't do the crime.....[/highlight]
napalm

That phrase just dont work for me anymore, kinda ironical as well  ;D
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2006, 07:02:18 PM »

Been a member for over a year. Met some of you in person and more here on the site. Over 2100 posts and I've never ask anyone to do this before

CAN WE SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN - - - - - - - - - - - PLEASE !!!!!!!!

Big B

Screamin_Beagle

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2006, 07:08:32 PM »

Uh..Oh!!!!

He's Baaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!!
What ever it is that somebody did that you didn't want done.....................I either did it or had something to do with it!!!

RedFXR2

« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2007, 12:54:38 PM »

With apologies to Spiderman, here's the latest update:

http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702080347

Date set for Lane's civil trial in case of slain motorcyclist

BY KEYONNA SUMMERS
FLORIDA TODAY

TITUSVILLE - Celebrity motorcycle builder Billy Lane will face his crash victim's family in a civil case in August, but the trial for a DUI manslaughter charge he faces in the Labor Day wreck that killed Gerald Morelock is still pending.

Morelock's mother sued Lane, 37, and DaimlerChrysler -- which provided Lane with the Dodge pickup truck he was driving -- a month after the fatal crash in which police said Lane crossed a double-yellow line and hit Morelock's mini-Yamaha motorcycle.

Wednesday, Brevard Circuit Judge John Dean Moxley Jr. denied a motion by Lane's attorney to dismiss the case, and set a trial date of Aug. 20.

S. Sammy Cacciatore, the family's attorney, said the family is trying to recoup the loss of earnings of the deceased, medical and funeral expenses, as well as mental pain and suffering.
The family alleges Lane, who police say had a blood-alcohol level of .192 the night of the accident, and DaimlerChrysler, who used Lane's fame to advertise its vehicles despite prior driving citations on Lane's record, are liable for auto negligence.

"They've just gone through the first holiday period without Gerald and it's been difficult," Cacciatore said. "A parent especially never expects that they will be burying their child. It goes against the clock of life."

In the meantime, Lane also faces 15 years in prison if convicted of a charge of DUI manslaughter, a second-degree felony.

Gregory Eisenmenger, Lane's attorney in the criminal case, said that trial might be set during a docket sounding on March 23.

Lane remains out on bond.  "He's trying to have as normal a life as possible, considering he has a serious criminal charge," Eisenmenger said.

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2007, 04:03:12 PM »

It's ok Red. It's all a part of life and I can't stick my head in the sand and ignore it. Billy's like the kid brother that never stops getting in trouble. His life is like a train wreck. You can't watch and you can't not watch. He should have hooked up with Anna Nicole Smith before she died. A reality show based on the two of them would have been the perfect metaphor for pop culture America in 2007.

Tros

« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2007, 09:30:32 PM »

It's ok Red. It's all a part of life and I can't stick my head in the sand and ignore it. Billy's like the kid brother that never stops getting in trouble. His life is like a train wreck. You can't watch and you can't not watch. He should have hooked up with Anna Nicole Smith before she died. A reality show based on the two of them would have been the perfect metaphor for pop culture America in 2007.

+1

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »

YEA WHAT HE SAID!!!!!

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

mr_magoo

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG Orange & Black All Attitude
    • CVO2: 08 CUSE Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver the Cruiser
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2007, 09:39:13 AM »

It's sad for all involved.
2008FLHTCUSE3 Copper Canyon & Stardust Silver
Freedom Gear drive cams, Elite D Exhaust.

2004 SEEG Pumpkin
freedom exhaust
power commander
W/ American legend trailer<br

CVOwner

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2007, 02:55:29 PM »

To add a personal note to this. Up until my recent surgery I was always of a mind that anyone with a substance abuse or alcohol problem was weak minded. In my view, everyone is responsible for their own actions. This is probably because I am the son of an abusive alcoholic. While I was recovering from my knee replacement I was on Percocet for about two weeks. I woke up one day and decided I was not going to take it anymore and get by on extra strength Tylenol. Everything was fine til about 24 hrs since the last Percocet. I found myself doubled over with cramps, shaking and cold sweats. Never having experienced the " jones" but having known enough folks who had I called a buddy of mine who dovotes a lot of time to AA. He suggested I call my Dr. and get a lesser pain killer like Vicodin and then ease down to Tylenol. I did that and am fine, but have come away with an understanding of the physical mechanics of addiction. As such, I feel badly for having dissed off anyone with these issues as weak minded individuals. In the future I will try to pay attention to anyone in my circle of friends and family with problems of this nature and work with them if I can.

I always thought the same thing, until my brother who had been dry for 12 years with AA gave in and started again, he was dead in 3 months. NOt even 40 years old and dead from booze, I always told him to "just dont drink" and everything will be fine, Well, its not that easy. Its a disease like cancer. Now I know, but its too late for us.  AA is a great organization. Many people were trying to help him, all his brother did was say "dont drink" Its tough.
2004 SEEG Orange/Black
When all is said and done, there'll be more said, then done!

Bulldog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Love my Candy Cherry Baby!!!
« Reply #134 on: March 13, 2007, 10:11:23 AM »

I saw Billy Lane in his booth at Destination Daytona and barely recognized him his hair was cut short dressed normal and had a big banner up promoting a charity organization that he is involved with. No kidding he was smiling shaking hands, definitely trying to change his image, I think the boy knows he is in serious trouble this time.

But you know how this celebrity stuff works in California and Florida IE. "the Judge that handled Anna Nicole's deal" who knows what the hell is gonna happen. Would not suprise me if he walks with a suspended sentence and community service on the criminal charge,  and he will have to compensate the family financially on the civil case.
05 SEEG 2- Tone Candy Cherry
V&H True Duals with V&H Slip ons
Power commander III
S.E. Air Cleaner
HD Flame Windshield
Chrome-Inner primary cover, Cylinder base cover,HD Chrome windshield trim, chrome starter and more.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10  All

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 22 queries.