Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Will they make a Springer again?  (Read 14223 times)

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Will they make a Springer again?
« on: June 04, 2013, 11:00:36 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am under the impression that the FXSTSSE springers will be the last produced by HD. The reason I believe this is that Europe requires ABS brakes and that may come to North America. In anticipation, it does not look like MoCo will make anymore springers. Should keep the value up. There are no springers in the 2014 model line.

Hang on to your Springers! I certainly will do so with mine. I love the ride!

Carl
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Will they make a Springer again?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 06:09:20 PM »

Your springer is nice and is valuable, but just not as nice and valuable as mine. Sorry.  :(
Jesus is Lord

GaLonghair

• Full CVO Member
    • GA

• CVO1: 2018 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2019 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:31:26 AM »

The last Springer was the Cross Bones.
Lead, follow or get out of the way. But, do something!

Jack

• Full CVO Member
  • thank you Denis Van Orman (DVO)

• CVO1: 07 FXSTSSE Amarillo Gold/Candy Tangerine (1/540) thanks Dude
    • CVO2: 98 Lincoln LSC Ivory Pearlescent (34K)
    • CVO3: 87 Porsche 944 Rose Quartz
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »

Your springer is nice and is valuable, but just not as nice and valuable as mine. Sorry.  :(
  :beatdeadhorse: I can play this game too, against you. Sorry.   :P 
FXSTSSE
H-D Tribal Mirrors (92410-09)
H-D medium low detachable (round stock) sissy bar
2006 Bobtail fender rack & trans dip stk w/medallion
Jet Scream (air delivery)
10mm SE plug wires
NGK Iridium IX (DCPR9EIX) 2316
Mercury Marine QUICKSILVER 20-W50
MOTORKOTE (petroleum hydrocarbon) in all 3 areas
RED LINE HEAVY SHOCKPROOF
93 Octane
Lyndall "Z" Racing Brake Pads "Gold"
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 10:25:43 AM »

:beatdeadhorse: I can play this game too, against you. Sorry.   :P 

Jack, If that were true then you would have already managed to sell yours.  The fact is that nobody want the 07 model springer with that skinny front wheel.  Anyway, you should replace that dead horse being beaten with a picture of yourself getting a beating.  I've notice that on several occasions that you have managed to solicit some rather heated responses to your posts.  Thankfully, I'm not that way and recognize your dry wit for what it is, humor.  I'll just chalk it up to you being a yankee.   :)
Jesus is Lord

08CVOSPRNGER

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:35:20 PM »

Just reading the posts. I will say that i wish my 08 had the 21 on the front.  Springers are my favorite bike, had 3.
89 super bowl edition
01 fxsts
08fxstsse2
Had and sold a fatboy, super glide (78 shovelhead) 59 panhead.

Granted I'm only 37, and don't follow the trends. I don't need a dressed out touring bike to show off a bikenight.
Wish they would make a new springer, would buy one in a heart beat.

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 04:18:37 PM »

Jack, If that were true then you would have already managed to sell yours.  The fact is that nobody want the 07 model springer with that skinny front wheel.  Anyway, you should replace that dead horse being beaten with a picture of yourself getting a beating.  I've notice that on several occasions that you have managed to solicit some rather heated responses to your posts.  Thankfully, I'm not that way and recognize your dry wit for what it is, humor.  I'll just chalk it up to you being a yankee.   :)

:beatdeadhorse:
What is outstanding of this Arena is Not continual back slapping each other, but exchanges that draw interest from other readers that may compell them to enter this particular area of exchange.

My concern in this Full Arena is a Counter Culture of WANT-A-BE's.  Those who can't control their fixation on some of the most outstanding road vehicles built by an American Legend celebrating 110 years of survival in the ebb & tide of success.

The benefit of this Forum for many is contributions of experiences learned by the Real Owners who Share.

One simple gesture is the Avatars we use & that which is listed under it, plus our Signature which sometimes lists Personal improvements.  TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT.

You sir have by accounts been involved 5 years and use the generic avatar offered by the Forum.  Your Signature tells Nothing, yet you have a post count heading towards 1000.

You talk, but hardly walk the walk.

Your mislead notion that nobody wants that skinny front wheel, can only be stuck in a deep hole lost someplace west in the Great State of Tenn.

Lastly, there is No reason I can think of to sell one of the greatest creations the Motor Company has ever built.  Especially since the last half of the past Century.

With nearly 42,000 miles under my belt on this ride, I would think I know what I'm talking about !

I can only assume you have exposed a False identity which relates to Carl's statement which started this thread.  "Hang on to your Springers, I certainly will do so with mine."

And I Thank You for your comments.......Jack
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:37:21 PM »

Jack, I read and reread your post several times and can only come to one conclusion, you have obviously missed your Alzheimer's medications for today.   :nixweiss:
Jesus is Lord

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:05:38 AM »

Jack, I read and reread your post several times and can only come to one conclusion, you have obviously missed your Alzheimer's medications for today.   :nixweiss:

I once made that same statement, except for the last part, in another Forum sometime ago !

Thank You for Your comment......Jack
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

TheDangleShow

• CVO2: '97 Saturn (220k)
    • CVO3: '85 Mustang (Silver)
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »

You sir have by accounts been involved 5 years and use the generic avatar offered by the Forum.  Your Signature tells Nothing, yet you have a post count heading towards 1000.

You talk, but hardly walk the walk.

Just for you Jack-OFF I'm making a signature with the type of gas I run cause I know how everyone GAF!!!
91 BP (SILVER)
Chrome license plate FRAME
Dip stick reads FULL (all 3 areas)

Jack

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:31 AM »

Obviously you do Dangle !

As well as listing the costly custom changes made.

...Also, I would recommend the owner acquiring a black paint pencil from a craft store
and filling in that Primary cover where it's missing.  It is much easier to do when it's
off the bike.  A narrow tip works best.......J
FXSTSSE
10mm SE plug wires
93 Octane
(7059-G) ft
(7196-G) rr
H-D Crash Bar

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

Jack, it's only been a day and you have managed to piss off another member here.  Tell me, is that how you "compel them to enter this particular area of exchange" ?  I'm sure that if you check at the local book store you could find some excellent material on how to make friends or be sociable. Maybe if you could work on your low self esteem and not worry so much about how you look to others would help.  Whichever, I will try to be your friend and help you.  If it would make you feel better about yourself, I will send you pictures of my bike and a detailed list of all the things I have done to it.  I didn't feel the need to list it all here as I do not suffer from low self esteem.  I can assure you that I do own my bike and the thought that someone that doesn't own one and still participates on this forum is just ridiculous and just proves that you need some friends.  I will be your friend Jack, from a distance.
Jesus is Lord

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »

Looks like someone is off his meds.  Or perhaps he has been partaking of too many meds of the somewhat illegal variety. :nixweiss:

Jerry ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:14 AM »

Hi There,

not sure why the post about an opinion on Springers went off kilter. I just read some follow ups. Guys, I find Jack to be an interesting and knowledgeable person to interact with. Jack, I support you. I support all my CVO brothers and sisters. This forum is really helpful!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and safe rides!

Hang on to your Springers! We will soon be the most visited bikes in any bike rally!

Carl

PS: Please find attached a picture of my Springer which I took two weeks ago using my superior Samsung mobile phone. I had a wonderful ride! The only wildlife on the road was a very large Snapping Turtle whose head was way up listening to my bike approaching. Not much worry about which way he was going or if he was to change direction :) Note the detachable windshield, detachable backrest I have on the bike. Both snap on and snap off in under a few minutes. Lunch was good too!
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

harlee79

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 12:07:29 AM »

Hope they don't make more, just end up costing me more garage space.

2009 FXSTSSE3 -Screaming Eagle Springer
2003 FLSTSI - Heritage Springer

XBUNCEX

• CVO1: FXSTSSE2
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2014, 12:18:00 AM »

Hi There,

not sure why the post about an opinion on Springers went off kilter. I just read some follow ups. Guys, I find Jack to be an interesting and knowledgeable person to interact with. Jack, I support you. I support all my CVO brothers and sisters. This forum is really helpful!

Hope everyone has a wonderful day and safe rides!

Hang on to your Springers! We will soon be the most visited bikes in any bike rally!

Carl

PS: Please find attached a picture of my Springer which I took two weeks ago using my superior Samsung mobile phone. I had a wonderful ride! The only wildlife on the road was a very large Snapping Turtle whose head was way up listening to my bike approaching. Not much worry about which way he was going or if he was to change direction :) Note the detachable windshield, detachable backrest I have on the bike. Both snap on and snap off in under a few minutes. Lunch was good too!

Carl I'm looking for a windshield for my 08 FXSTSSE2 and i like that one on your bike. Do you happen to have the part #?

King2013

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »

Sorry for my stupidity in advance or maybe it's just too early for me but, I for the life of me can't seem to find where Jack posted the first blow here. I have read and reread this whole thread and I can't see where Jack provoked anyone into this type of "exchange".
I like this forum and everyone here, I've been involved with a lot of forums, creating them wrote some code for them and usually don't post in altercation threads. But after reading this one I have to say I felt the need to post up, I got your back Jack. No need to continue a thread that is off topic for no reason.

I believe the moco could bring back the springer at some point because there are too many bikes that could be done as a retro that were springers to draw a surge of new sales if the market becomes stagnant. However, I would hang onto any springer because you never know which ones going to turn gold.

On another note,  ride safe and have a blast this season!
I should be out there soon looking for long adventures with yas.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 07:42:45 AM by King2013 »

King2013

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 07:47:17 AM »

Great, I knew it was to easily for me ( posted at 7:20am on my meds) ! I didn't look at the post dates.
I just brought back a dead fight from a year ago and took sides. Duh. Lmao
Going back to bed.
Forgive my ignorance.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 12:03:32 AM »

Thats OK King2013, when I went to post it said "while you were typing another post was made. I went an looked.....and it was yours! Thanks for keeping me from looking stupider
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:49 AM »

Thats OK King2013, when I went to post it said "while you were typing another post was made. I went an looked.....and it was yours! Thanks for keeping me from looking stupider

I know what started it all.  Donald Sterling said something about the Springer.  Then that Bundy guy in Nevada was seen chasing his cows on a Springer.  After that it all went to hell fast....  ???

bensonjv

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2007 FXSTSSE
    • CVO2: 2016 FLHTKSE
    • CVO3: 2018 FLHTKSE
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »

Sort of resurrecting an old thread but wanted to chime in; specifically to respond to the OP's thoughts on why Springers were on their way out.  I doubt ABS requirements or the threat of them have anything to do with the decision to chop the Springer.  An ABS option can be fit to the Springer front end the same as any other front end.  Besides, as most are aware, on regular road surfaces and OEM parts, its difficult (but not impossible) to lock up the front wheel on a Springer.  Certainly there are aftermarket multi-piston calipers as well as aftermarket pads and rotor combinations that will increase grab.  But stock parts just don't do that for most riders.

It's not a handling performance issue either.  Certainly there are differences in how these and standard telescoping forks operate and that plays a role.  But realized performance is far more about the skill of the rider than it is about the equipment being ridden.  There must be at least one rider in this forum who has a story about riding a Harley with a sport bike guy and eating the sport bike rider's lunch in the twisties.

I think the explanation for taking Springers out of production simply comes down to changes in demand.  I think sales dipped a bit after 2008-9.  I think the SE Springers were a great addition but the Crossbones just never really gained traction.  I believe that was part economy and part poor design.  While it had the Springer front end, overall the Crossbones didn't seem to flow well.  The combination of elements seemed 'forced.'  Granted I am basing that primarily on my personal style preferences and I acknowledge the target market for the bones was about 15-25 years younger than me.  But there is likely some validity in my assessment or there would still be an F*STS in any configuration still available.

Harley has excellent marketing sense.  They bring models in and out of production based on demand.  If sales dip, pull it out of the line-up for a few years until it builds up again.  Based on this trend with Springers, I'd expect to see an F*STS model in the 2016 or 17 lineup.  My money says Harley will save their (re)debut for when chrome becomes the new chrome again.  The economy will (hopefully) improve and the Willie G black on black on black thing will run its course and the masses will call for bling again.  When they do reveal the next one, I'll be one of the first in line to see it.

Hello everyone,

I am under the impression that the FXSTSSE springers will be the last produced by HD. The reason I believe this is that Europe requires ABS brakes and that may come to North America. In anticipation, it does not look like MoCo will make anymore springers. Should keep the value up. There are no springers in the 2014 model line.

Hang on to your Springers! I certainly will do so with mine. I love the ride!

Carl

FlatsFlite

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2014, 06:34:17 AM »

" There must be at least one rider in this forum who has a story about riding a Harley with a sport bike guy and eating the sport bike rider's lunch in the twisties."

If they do, it's pure fiction or the sport bike rider didn't know it was a race.

redbeard719

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE converted to FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTSCI
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2014, 10:34:16 AM »

Bensonjv, I agree that you have some very valid points.  I do believe you're also right about demand dropping in the later years of the springer offerings.

Where I disagree though, is that there was still a want for the springers, but the offerings from MOCO weren't what people wanted.

The Crossbones, thought an FL springer, was somewhat if a hybrid between an FX rear end and an FL springer front end.  It was confused looking, IMHO.

The FXSTSSE3 is another example of that.  It's a beautiful bike, and I had one for a few months.  But, again, it's confused.  The FX springer front end with a fat front tire and left side brake?  Not the norm.  Also, the 240 rear end was bigger and badder, and attempted to cash in on the fat rear end look that they were late to the party for.

Now, I think if MOCO offered an FXSTS with a 21" skinny tire and a 200 rear, or a FLSTS variant with a fat front and 150 rear, they would sell like mad.

When you come across springer threads, those are the two that always seem to remain true to factory form, the Bad Boy and the Heritage Springer/Springer Classic.  Crossbones usually seem to be bobber'd out OR turned into an FLSTS look-alike.

I believe the MOCO lost its way with the springers.  Black or chrome forks, it doesn't matter, but mixing up the fronts and rears just never really seemed to fully mesh....
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:36:59 AM by redbeard719 »
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 21 queries.