Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: CompenSaver  (Read 6075 times)

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
CompenSaver
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:07:17 PM »

http://www.compensaver.com/gallery.html

This is a new product that I installed this week.  If you have the tools to change a comp.  You can do this.  Nice kit.  Well thought out and good directions.  Have not seen it mentioned on this forum and thought I would throw it out there.

I have about 400 miles on it and I plan on taking it apart after 5000.  Unless a couple of guys that I know have it and hit 5000 or 10,000 with a report first.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: CompenSaver
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »

A pricey "fix" for the poorly engineered compensator, but replacing a compensator (more than once) isn't cheap either.  Preliminary reports I've heard have all been positive.  I look forward to additional feedback as more miles are accumulated by others...   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:11:40 PM »

x2
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »

A pricey "fix" for the poorly engineered compensator, but replacing a compensator (more than once) isn't cheap either.  Preliminary reports I've heard have all been positive.  I look forward to additional feedback as more miles are accumulated by others...   :2vrolijk_21:

I didn't see a price Scott.  Not on the product's site nor on GMR's.  If the vendor is selling as well as using the part he didn't mention it either.  What's the kit cost?

Is it as much as the down payment on a new Indian Chief :indian_chief: ?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:11:51 PM »

I didn't see a price Scott.  Not on the product's site nor on GMR's.  If the vendor is selling as well as using the part he didn't mention it either.  What's the kit cost?

Is it as much as the down payment on a new Indian Chief :indian_chief: ?

I've seen the price on another site.  If my memory is correct...$499.00.  The product was developed by a couple of members of the (other) site.  I don't know who they are using as distributors, although I believe Steve (GMR-Performance) is a vendor...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:54 PM »

I've seen the price on another site.  If my memory is correct...$499.00.  The product was developed by a couple of members of the (other) site.  I don't know who they are using as distributors, although I believe Steve (GMR-Performance) is a vendor...

Was assuming he was.  He'd mentioned the product here within the last week or so and his site is cited on the product website.  Having him involved would make me more rather than less comfortable with the product.  But that's still a lot of cash for what's basically an anti-oil-slinger.

Hopefully it's a panacea fix for the new compensators.  I'm doubtful though.  That part's problems have seemed more systemic than might be fixed with just better oiling.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:26:39 AM »

Was assuming he was.  He'd mentioned the product here within the last week or so and his site is cited on the product website.  Having him involved would make me more rather than less comfortable with the product.  But that's still a lot of cash for what's basically an anti-oil-slinger.

Hopefully it's a panacea fix for the new compensators.  I'm doubtful though.  That part's problems have seemed more systemic than might be fixed with just better oiling.

I think better oiling is the fix for the fretting of the inner bore.  Testing and long term usage will indicate if this device successfully introduces more lubrication into the bore and fixes this issue.  Based on the testing I've seen to date, I'm optimistic it will.

What I'm more skeptical of is eliminating the wear on the opposing ramps.  If addition lubrication reaches these load areas and significantly reduces or eliminates this wear, then I'm more impressed. 

I understand the product is very low volume, hence expensive to manufacture for a couple of guys with an idea.  It still falls into the "pricey" category.
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 08:57:28 AM »

I remember reading the posts of the guy on the other site when he was cobbling up his first prototype and relaying initial results.  If I remember correctly, he was mainly trying to address the fretting and lack of lubrication at the shaft area.  I didn't see at that time where his fix would prevent the severe and premature wear on the actual wedge surfaces.  If he has managed to also address that issue, then perhaps this would make sense for high mileage folks who might otherwise find themselves replacing the wear parts every season.  It wouldn't take long to blow through $499 replacing parts that often.  I guess time will tell if it really does the job.  The only thing we really know for sure at this point is that Milwaukee doesn't give a chit about fixing it.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »

I remember reading the posts of the guy on the other site when he was cobbling up his first prototype and relaying initial results.  If I remember correctly, he was mainly trying to address the fretting and lack of lubrication at the shaft area.  I didn't see at that time where his fix would prevent the severe and premature wear on the actual wedge surfaces.  If he has managed to also address that issue, then perhaps this would make sense for high mileage folks who might otherwise find themselves replacing the wear parts every season.  It wouldn't take long to blow through $499 replacing parts that often.  I guess time will tell if it really does the job.  The only thing we really know for sure at this point is that Milwaukee doesn't give a chit about fixing it.[/font]
Jerry

We known that for a while!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 09:21:44 AM »

If addition lubrication reaches these load areas and significantly reduces or eliminates this wear, then I'm more impressed. 

That was my concern and where I'm less optimistic.  For the benefit of the riders and the entrepreneur putting out the effort I'm hopeful.  Just not initially optimistic that area of the comp can be helped much.  I'm also glad I've still got the old style compensator....

hrdtail78

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »

It does direct oil to the cogs.  If the bearing surface gets a cushion of oil.  Hopefully it won't beat the cogs so much, or beat them evenly.  Differently a hole in the market in this area.  I know of one other company trying to do something about this.  A direct bolt on sprocket isn't an option with the fine splines of the new cranks.  I have talked to other drive train authorities and they have told me they have nothing in the works.

prs4guitars

• Junior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »

Cost is 399.00 plus shipping. I plan to install one in a few weeks along with a new compensator.

sprinkman

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 04:02:29 PM »

Hoban Brothers & Darkhorse Crankworks have been working on a new compensator with a cushion drive. I think they are almost ready to go on the market. I am waiting to see how they work before I install anything else.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »

Hoban Brothers & Darkhorse Crankworks have been working on a new compensator with a cushion drive. I think they are almost ready to go on the market. I am waiting to see how they work before I install anything else.

Would be interested in seeing that!

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:02 PM »

I think I read somewhere it was to be released in June sometime,
 however there are some issue's ?
I think and the release date has been pushed back to fall or something like that
I myself want to wait and  see all my choice's  before I make a decision on what to do 
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2013, 09:12:43 PM »

There are pics of the unit halfway down on this page from Feb. Looks like they have been working on it for a while

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/twin-cam-engine-mods/219671-new-option-se-comp-darkhorse-crankworks.html

GMR-PERFORMANCE

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 06:45:44 PM »

Here is a great pic of how bad these things can get.

This is a temp site , some of you are aware we lost our entire site and the back up with the virus that shut down banks a few months ago. We have been working hard to get a complete new site built and I was able to view the new site in beta form site today!!!!.

The unit flat out works, with 10's of thousand of real road miles we have seen no issues what so ever.  Install is very straight forward, we have many more pics on the new site.

GMR and CompensaVer are one company, the entire system is made right here in Texas and we have stock ready to ship. We are more than happy to answer any and all questions that you may have . We are just a phone call away.  We have many shops now set up as dealers and more are being added almost every day. :)

www.compensaver.com

2012 SHARK  S&S 124 150/140   www.gmrperformance.com
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.615 seconds with 21 queries.