Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need to lower 2013 SERK 1 inch. Anyone change rear shocks and fork springs yet?  (Read 825 times)

taz327

Hey guys, just need some insight on lowering my bike 1 inch. I need to be flat footed, but don't want to get thicker soles or a different seat. Anyone done this or know if Harley has 1 inch drop spring shocks for rear? I know the progressive springs for the front forks are drop in and that will work, but just not sure about rear with the adjuster. Thanks in advance.

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4

Unless I'm mistaken you only have 1.9" of rear wheel travel or close to it, and installing a shock that is 1" shorter will only lower your bike 5/8" plus you will loose 1" of travel.  I think it is a real bad idea to lower the bike.  I would still look into having your seat modified, wear boots with bigger heals do what ever will help you without affecting the ride of the bike.  The quality of the ride is rated as poor as it is and now you will make it even worse.  It's your bike & your decision but you need to enjoy your ride as well.  Try to contact Mark who teaches the Ride Like a Pro course in the Western states.  I don't have his info but he is one of the guys I would trust with your challenges.  By the way I'm 5 - 6 1/2 bare foot and wear some boots that let me add one inch to my stock shocks which again raised the bike 5/8".   Well worth the risk of dropping it for the ride.  Why do you have to be flat footed, many ride big bikes using one foot when they stop, I believe that is the way it is taught in some courses.  Sorry if I seem to come on to strong, I just have seen to many people do the wrong thing when more practical solutions are available

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2

I agree with Ray, lowering the bike even further from the already lowered stock configuration is a bad idea.  Not only will it negatively affect comfort, it will further reduce ground clearance and cornering clearance, which translates to a possible safety concern.  If it were mine I'd forget the ego thing and just get a good pair of riding boots with a thick sole and heel, and if that wasn't enough I'd look for a better seat with a lower and narrower front section.

Harley does not offer a lower shock option than what comes stock on your SERK, which is already the Low Profile shock from the catalog.  I'm sure you could find aftermarket shocks to do what you want to do, but I expect you would find what many others who went down this road found.  It's a waste of money that results in a lousy ride and other problems.  If you are determined to lower the bike anyway, check out one of the air suspension kits on the market with an onboard air compressor.  Those will allow you to drop the rear of the bike for parking lot maneuvering and then pump it back up for proper handling and clearance while riding.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

taz327

Okay, thanks for the information from both of you and  I'll look into a seat and some boots.

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 24 queries.