Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Price for a new drive belt?  (Read 6819 times)

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
Price for a new drive belt?
« on: November 09, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

I just noticed that I have a gouge in my drive belt. So I was wondering what the price is for a new one. And should I go with a harley belt or aftermarket. And what would be the cost for labor if I took it to a shop. I have no warranty left. So it's all my baby. Thanks for any replies or suggestions. Oh , it's a 2008 serk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Price for a new drive belt?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:27:53 PM »

I just noticed that I have a gouge in my drive belt. So I was wondering what the price is for a new one. And should I go with a harley belt or aftermarket. And what would be the cost for labor if I took it to a shop. I have no warranty left. So it's all my baby. Thanks for any replies or suggestions. Oh , it's a 2008 serk

The belt part number is 40024-07, it's 1" wide and 137 teeth, and MSRP is $221.  You can find them for around $180 from the discount Harley dealers.

A rough estimate for labor at a dealership would be about 4.0 hours at whatever their labor rate is; probably somewhere in the $80 - $100 an hour range in much of the country.  You can always check locally for a good independent shop also.

When you replace the belt, make sure you closely inspect the pulleys for damage and wear.  Installing a new belt on a damaged or worn pulley will shorten the life of that new belt and you might find yourself doing it all over again very soon.

Aftermarket belts seem to be a crap shoot, with many people reporting early failures.  This might be one of those times when it would be wiser to buy the factory part.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 11:11:13 PM »

Thanks for the reply

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 06:50:59 AM »

If you can find a Gates distributor near, they are the folks that makum.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »

Manual says to replace both pulleys with the belt.  Your choice.  Realize that you need to remove the entire primary and swingarm to replace the belt.
Spada84
NoSofa!

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:55:35 AM »

I have had to replace a belt or 2 before and found that if I just remove the bolt and twist the belt slightly I have not had to remove the swingarm.  A HD tech showed me how to do it but he also said that the shop still uses the flat rate price of removing it so they make more money due to the time savings.  I remember using a shim on the tranny and just a slight twist on the belt and it was in.  Unfortunately you do have to remove quite a bit just to get to the belt.  Not hard but it does take time.  Not looking forward to replacing another.  There is no way I would recommend to replace both sprockets every time you replace the belt unless you have high mileage, some damage or excessive wear on them but I would inspect them carefully & replace if needed.  At 69,000 miles I did replace the rear sprocket as it was in pretty rough shape. 

Screamin08

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:50:14 AM »

Thanks everybody.....I'm going to buy a belt from lakeshore harley and have my local Indy do the work. Appreciate the info...very interesting...I didn't know what all was involved in the process.

spada84

• Elite CVO Member
  • Stand for something, or fall for anything.

• CVO1: '10 SEUC "Orange Crush"
    • CVO2: 6 (or 7) other bikes
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 10:59:01 AM »

I have had to replace a belt or 2 before and found that if I just remove the bolt and twist the belt slightly I have not had to remove the swingarm.  A HD tech showed me how to do it but he also said that the shop still uses the flat rate price of removing it so they make more money due to the time savings.  I remember using a shim on the tranny and just a slight twist on the belt and it was in.  Unfortunately you do have to remove quite a bit just to get to the belt.  Not hard but it does take time.  Not looking forward to replacing another.  There is no way I would recommend to replace both sprockets every time you replace the belt unless you have high mileage, some damage or excessive wear on them but I would inspect them carefully & replace if needed.  At 69,000 miles I did replace the rear sprocket as it was in pretty rough shape. 

Chrome is mostly gone on my rear sprocket. That's the test for replacement. 
Spada84
NoSofa!

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.