Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2014 CVO Limited - Static discharge on radio - Popping noise will riding.  (Read 10680 times)

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset

Anybody having issues with popping sound like static discharge on the radio? It doesn't seem to make any difference on the station including XM radio.  I haven't put many miles on the bike so I was thinking at first this was something hitting my helmet until today.  Boy this should be fun getting them to fix this.  Beginning to think the Harley tech will soon have as many miles on my bike as I have at the rate things are going. Really is disappointing that a big selling point on the new bike is this high dollar stereo that is filled with issues.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!

Just a wild guess but it could be the VOX setting is causing the radio to break up. I usually just turn mine all the way down  and use the PTT. Harleys just make too much noise for VOX.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

wgmnoitah

Mine has done that from day one.  Radio has been reflashed 3 times for other problems, and it is better but still sounds like bugs or sand hitting helmet.Front speakers are still intermitten, till the fader slightly moved to right. They Don't have a fix for that or front speakers yet.  :coolblue: :coolblue:

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE

I only put 55 miles on before having to put the new bike away for the winter  >:( but I also heard this.  I think I remember a similar issue on the 2008.  On that bike it was the WB trying to cut in.  i do wonder if it is the CB trying to cut in.  I did not have the headset hooked up so no VOX issue.

Garage testing yields nothing.

/Bill
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

garretn

• Full CVO Member

The headsets are still in the box so VOX shouldn't be the issue, CB is turned off. I am running it to the shop this morning to have the radio defaulted and the latest flash loaded again.  I will be documenting with Harley this issue along with the front speakers not working all the time. 

I will update post after visit to dealer.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited

The headsets are still in the box so VOX shouldn't be the issue, CB is turned off. I am running it to the shop this morning to have the radio defaulted and the latest flash loaded again.  I will be documenting with Harley this issue along with the front speakers not working all the time. 

I will update post after visit to dealer.

Please do update us.  I've been waiting four months for an answer. :)

Untitled by oneboltzfan, on Flickr
2014 FLHTKSE Jupiter Blue/Wicked Sapphire

shovelhead FXEF

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited

I have the same issues on mine.  Intermittent front speakers not working.  Have to bump fader adjustment and they come on.  Also there is an intermittent crack or pop sound coming through the speakers when the radio is on.  I haven't tried any other functions.  Got the bike and only got 300 miles on it before the weather went to crap

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

I have the same issues on mine.  Intermittent front speakers not working.  Have to bump fader adjustment and they come on.  Also there is an intermittent crack or pop sound coming through the speakers when the radio is on.  I haven't tried any other functions.  Got the bike and only got 300 miles on it before the weather went to crap
Welcome to the club.  Hang in there. Hopefully MoCo figures this crap out someday. :)

goauto

I have the same  issue thought it was my hearing .   I also put the bike away after four trips to the dealer and four different problems in 300 miles. Anyone had the sticking throttle when the heated grips are on ? That was the last one before  I  said screw it and covered it up for the winter . >:(   

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

I have the same  issue thought it was my hearing .   I also put the bike away after four trips to the dealer and four different problems in 300 miles. Anyone had the sticking throttle when the heated grips are on ? That was the last one before  I  said screw it and covered it up for the winter . >:(   
The "sticking throttle" is something I've never heard of, and I've used my heated grips many times.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

Re: 2014 CVO Limited - Static discharge on radio - Popping noise will riding.
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 10:25:28 PM »

I think you should start another post on the throttle sticking issue to see if anyone else has this issue. I have had no sticking throttle issues and have used the heated grips almost every time I have ridden.  Of course I only have 260 miles on mine most of which have been between the dealer and the house. 

My visit today to address the fader and popping noise was a waste of time.  They wrote the popping noise complaint down but I really think they hoped the new flash would fix it.

Does anyone know if these radio issues are only on the CVO's since they have a amp or does this issue exist on the Limited/Ultra/Streetglide with 6.5" radio?

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 10:32:54 PM »

I think you should start another post on the throttle sticking issue to see if anyone else has this issue. I have had no sticking throttle issues and have used the heated grips almost every time I have ridden.  Of course I only have 260 miles on mine most of which have been between the dealer and the house. 

My visit today to address the fader and popping noise was a waste of time.  They wrote the popping noise complaint down but I really think they hoped the new flash would fix it.

Does anyone know if these radio issues are only on the CVO's since they have a amp or does this issue exist on the Limited/Ultra/Streetglide with 6.5" radio?

No, it's happening to the Limiteds too not just the CVO's.  The only thing I've heard that can minimize the popping is to turn off VOX, CB, etc.  I turned mine off and it helped, but didn't stop it altogether.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 11:14:54 PM »

What I am afraid of is Harley has so many other issues that they will not take these radio issues seriously.  I don't know about everyone else but I don't see me settling for anything less than fixed. We all paid a premium for these hand built custom bikes so we should only expect nothing but the best. Moving the fader to get the front speakers working, turning off all the features to help coverup the issue is unacceptable. I considered buying a limited and spending the money to modify it but I decided against it because of resale and the fact that once I started modifying the bike and problems exist I wouldn't know if I created the issue or it is a Harley problem.  My plan is to document the issues and the number of visits to get the corrected and if the issue is not corrected look into the lemon law to put pressure on Harley to address the issue. My hope is it never comes to this because I really am looking forward to many fun filled comfortable miles to come.

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:56 AM »

What I am afraid of is Harley has so many other issues that they will not take these radio issues seriously.  I don't know about everyone else but I don't see me settling for anything less than fixed. We all paid a premium for these hand built custom bikes so we should only expect nothing but the best. Moving the fader to get the front speakers working, turning off all the features to help coverup the issue is unacceptable. I considered buying a limited and spending the money to modify it but I decided against it because of resale and the fact that once I started modifying the bike and problems exist I wouldn't know if I created the issue or it is a Harley problem.  My plan is to document the issues and the number of visits to get the corrected and if the issue is not corrected look into the lemon law to put pressure on Harley to address the issue. My hope is it never comes to this because I really am looking forward to many fun filled comfortable miles to come.

I agree which is why I took mine to the dealer.  I will do it again soon (weather permitting), to have them replace both the filler neck and the now leaking thermostat.  At that time I'll have them document the radio issues I've been having for 4 months now for the 4th time.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
Re: 2014 CVO Limited - Voice control- Popping noise will riding.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 03:34:52 PM »

I'm having a problem getting my voice command to work, its dosen't do anything when I push the button, anyone else having problems  CVO 2014

CVO Aqua-Glider

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2014 FLHTKSE

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »

I'm having a problem getting my voice command to work, its dosen't do anything when I push the button, anyone else having problems  CVO 2014

I seem to remember trying that button once and it worked fine on mine. I have not heard of it not working on anybody elses bike either, and I'm subcribed to probably 10 threads like this one on multiple forums.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 04:01:15 PM »

Just to be clear you push the button and the display doesn't change or the voice doesn't ask for commands?  I think you have to use your headset and mic to get it recognize any commands but at least it should display a list of commands.

anzac

• Full CVO Member
Re: 2014 CVO Limited - voice command on radio - Popping noise will riding.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 11:33:14 AM »

yes, I have the headset on, I can hear the radio but nothing happens when i push voice command, I guess when I go in for my 1000 mile check up they can look at it

King Glide

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's still Good To Be King !
    • LA

• CVO1: 2016 Roadglide Ultra
    • CVO2: 2014 Ultra Limited
    • CVO3: 2011 Roadglide Ultra
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »

Are you waiting for the beep sound before saying a command? And the commands you say have to be exact, wait for beep and say, for example, " media commands"  if the girl's voice doesn't  say it back and list them on the screen you have a problem.
Got another shark and there's blood in the wind.
Back to the dark side !
  Personalized Plate
         GD2BKG

anzac

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »

it starting working all of a sudden, thanks for your advice
all the best

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2014, 09:58:01 AM »

Riding to the chapter meeting at Harley yesterday not only did the front speakers not work when I started the bike, the popping noise was pretty bad as well but while attempting to troubleshoot the popping noise I decided I would make sure the popping was as bad on all the different radio stations and when I hit seek it would not stop at any station. all the presets worked and sounded about the same. Maybe we have a coax issue on our bikes??? We have added that to the list of radio issues and my advisor said he will be back on the phone with MOCO support Monday to see what the next step will be.

I also found out that even though my advisor is acting like he has never heard of the popping noise in the radio one of the other advisors has the same issue with his 2014 Limited.

coopsdad

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »

No, it's happening to the Limiteds too not just the CVO's.  The only thing I've heard that can minimize the popping is to turn off VOX, CB, etc.  I turned mine off and it helped, but didn't stop it altogether.

I have the same problem with my Limited, but only when on a phone call and usually only the first one. Sounds like someone crunching up a bag of chips, but almost painfully loud when the other person is talking. Guess I should keep the bluetooth on the phone off and stick to my old philosophy of 'If I can hear the phone ring, I need louder pipes'javascript:void(0);

garretn

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 08:22:46 AM »

Interesting,  I had not thought of turning off the Bluetooth to see if the phone is interfering with the radio in someway.  Another excuse to ride this weekend  :2vrolijk_21:

Blueprint

• Full CVO Member
  • 2B1ASK1
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 Limited 12/26/1013 - 5/1/2020
    • CVO2: 2020 Tri Glide 5/1/2020
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 07:09:46 AM »

"What good is a phone interface if all one can hear is endless popping and cracking when the person you are trying to  talk too is speaking."  And the response from the SM :nixweiss:   

Hopefully one day MoCo will figure out a fix for the infotainment system.
SAA Sons Of Boaz
Widows Sons of Texas
2B1ASK1

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited

Have you tried a software upgrade to your stereo? You can do it yourself. I read instructions in the owners manual. In a nutshell, you go to the boom audio website: http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/Owners/infotainment.html?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US   Download the newest release to a USB stick and then go to the bike, (need key in your pocket and bike off) plug the stick into the USB port on the stereo, hold down the tripometer lever (above left handgrip controls) and this will put the bike in accessories mode. The bike will notice the upgrade on the usb stick and prompt you through the upgrade.

This fixed my fad problem as well as popping I was experiencing when the stereo was on. Not sure if it will fix the bluetooth problems but seems logical that it would.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.