Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?  (Read 16548 times)

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset

I understand the importance of maintaining the new ride but $460+tax for a 1k service...  :o OOCH.  I just wanted to get a feel for what everyone else does and what kind of money they spend on this service. 

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

Re: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 07:00:06 PM »

Damn. Mine was only around $300.00 or so. I've done my 1000 mile's myself in the past. Its mostly just fluid change out anyways.... But they did replace my pitted windshield when they did the service.  That sounds really high for a 1000 mile service.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 07:15:12 PM »

IF the dealer did the new bike prep that both Harley and most customers pay them for, the 1000 mile service is basically a fluid change and belt adjustment.  Even at full retail prices for the filter and fluids, and an hour of labor, it's not close to being worth the $300 to $500 most dealerships charge.  This is basically just another extra dealer profit item, and there is no valid reason other than greed to even have this service requirement.  Did your car have a 1000 mile service requirement?  No it didn't.

If you are a hands-on type with some basic skills, there is no reason you shouldn't do the service yourself.  Keep the receipts for any parts and fluids, and document what you did and when you did it.  If you aren't a hands-on guy, find a good local independent shop and see what they'll charge to do the service.  I'm guessing most will charge less than half what your dealer charges.  And don't fall for the BS that some will try to tell you about having to have the dealer do the service to maintain your warranty.  That is patently false, as detailed in Federal warranty law.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 07:48:15 PM »

I imagine am positive many others will disagree but I disregard the 1,000 mile service except for going over critical fastners, drive belt adjustment, etc.  I don't change the fluids because, well because I simply do not think they are contaminated or worn out at 1,000 miles. 

I faithfully did the 1,000 mile fluid changes up until I had 110 engine failures on both my '07 and then my '12 due to pizz poor moco lifters and inner cam bearings.  When I got the replacement engines I just ran them until the regular 5,000 mile fluid change service interval.

Frankly I just do not think it makes a rat's azz worth of difference what with all the other problems these engines develop all too soon.

And I've had a total of three complete engine replacements due to premature component failure and I have never been asked at all about how I maintained the bike.  It is pretty obvious when they tear the engine down if the oil has been changed regularly or not.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 08:06:10 PM »

While I do change the fluids at the 1000 mile mark, there is no way it is worth what the dealer is quoting you. As said before, if you are mechanically inclined and save your receipts it's not that big of a deal to do it yourself.

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 08:37:33 PM »

Fortunately my dealer threw in the 1K service for free with the purchase of the bike. But that $460 you are being charged is high. Some have downplayed the importance of this service and that is their  opinion. Me, I know they do more than just fluids. So why do you think a 1K service is needed more than a car is? Think about the vibration on a Harley vs a car. Do you have a seat belt and air bags on your bike? Boy I'd hate to skimp on a few bucks and have it come back to bite me in the ass. When I got to 1,000 miles it was the 4th time I changed my oil and filter. I believe the first 500 - 1,000 miles is when you get the most particles in your fluids and filter. But that's just me and I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to keep my 30+K bike running clean and smooth
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

Vstrut

• TX

• CVO1: FLHTKSE - 2020 Ultra Limited
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 09:12:45 PM »

I will be due for my 1k service on my CVO Ultra Limited after this week. I haven't called the dealer to get the price but I will be taking it to them for the service. I can turn a wrench and do a lot of work on my bikes myself, however, I am a big believer in taking them to the dealer for all of their service/maintenance needs. I also have a 2011 Street Glide w/18k miles on it and have taken it in for all scheduled service. I figure it will pay off if I ever have a serious problem and need the dealer to resolve it. I've gotten to know the service guys pretty well and they're nothing like the sales folks. I look at it like insurance. I don't agree with the price but pay it cause I don't want to get screwed if I ever need it. Just my two cents so take it for what it's worth.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 09:39:01 PM »

it isn't necessary for the dealer to do the 1000, or any, service.  but for some strange reason, i always seem to take my bike in and let them do the first one for me.  with the cvo, the dealer threw in the first service for me.  but, what he did was give me a $300 gift card to use towards it.  when i was ready to have it done, they couldn't get me scheduled in time, so i took the first available appt. they had and then changed my own fluids.  when i brought it in for the service, i had them do everything else.  ended up being about $100.  so that left me with $200 to spend in the dealership  :bananarock:
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 02:23:23 AM »

Fortunately my dealer threw in the 1K service for free with the purchase of the bike. But that $460 you are being charged is high. Some have downplayed the importance of this service and that is their  opinion. Me, I know they do more than just fluids. So why do you think a 1K service is needed more than a car is? Think about the vibration on a Harley vs a car. Do you have a seat belt and air bags on your bike? Boy I'd hate to skimp on a few bucks and have it come back to bite me in the ass. When I got to 1,000 miles it was the 4th time I changed my oil and filter. I believe the first 500 - 1,000 miles is when you get the most particles in your fluids and filter. But that's just me and I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to keep my 30+K bike running clean and smooth

Amen doublerunner!

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 07:16:29 AM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I had all the services done by the dealer on my last Harley but not at those kind of prices.  I called around to a couple of other local dealers and got prices between $300-350 and talking to them they all claim to be doing the same things. I think I will stop by the dealer and ask them face to face the price of the service maybe they quoted it wrong over the phone.  I have no problem paying a reasonable (for Harley) amount for work but when it would cost me around $100 in parts and a couple of hours of my time for what they are charging close to $500 after taxes I don't see that being reasonable.  I am assuming the tech actually goes over the bike really well and isn't having a bad day.

Thanks again.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:19:24 AM »

I am assuming the tech actually goes over the bike really well and isn't having a bad day.

Thanks again.
[/quote]

Remember what they say about "assuming" anything.  Who is going to pay more attention to your bike, you or the least experienced service tech in the dealer's service department?  I say the "least experienced" because they are the ones that usually get assigned these basic "services", oil changes, tire changes, etc.  The more you personally take an interest in maintaining your bike, to the level you are confident and capable of, the better you and your bike will be.  As said earlier, get a cheap ledger and document your maintenance. Be specific about what you did and even reference the service manual chapter and page.  Put down your odometer reading and date and keep all your receipts together and organized.  You do these things to provide an assurance of maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions so that warranty issues cannot be disputed.  The bike must be maintained according to H-D's guidelines but nobody says that "they" have to do the servicing or maintenance. 
Jesus is Lord

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:50 PM »

I am assuming the tech actually goes over the bike really well and isn't having a bad day.

Thanks again.

Remember what they say about "assuming" anything.  Who is going to pay more attention to your bike, you or the least experienced service tech in the dealer's service department?  I say the "least experienced" because they are the ones that usually get assigned these basic "services", oil changes, tire changes, etc.  The more you personally take an interest in maintaining your bike, to the level you are confident and capable of, the better you and your bike will be.  As said earlier, get a cheap ledger and document your maintenance. Be specific about what you did and even reference the service manual chapter and page.  Put down your odometer reading and date and keep all your receipts together and organized.  You do these things to provide an assurance of maintenance in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions so that warranty issues cannot be disputed.  The bike must be maintained according to H-D's guidelines but nobody says that "they" have to do the servicing or maintenance.

That's correct.  There is no requirement nor can they deny you warranty coverage unless they do the service and use their products (oil etc)  As mentioned, keep a record in the back of your owner's manual plus some notes etc.  I agree, no one will maintain your motorcycle better than you.  Take some time and with the money you save doing it yourself buy the correct tools (ie belt tension gauge) do the basic scheduled maintenance your self.  Buy the maintenance and parts manuals.  They have step by step instructions on how to do it.  Ask other riders who do it them selves.  When cleaning the motorcycle check for loose fasteners, lightly oil pivot points, look for wires that might be rubbing or getting pinched, take the seat off and look around, take the saddle bags off and do the same.  Personally, when tires need replaced I take the wheels off and take them to the dealer for new tires and re install them. But, don't recommend that if you're not comfortable.  Don't get in over your head.  Little by little you will build confidence.  I come from a generation that had a personal relationship with our motorcycles and did most if not all maintenance ourselves.  I recognize that we are dealing with different machines and riders today and accept that. 
Do it now!

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:17:56 PM »

That's correct.  There is no requirement nor can they deny you warranty coverage unless they do the service and use their products (oil etc)  As mentioned, keep a record in the back of your owner's manual plus some notes etc.  I agree, no one will maintain your motorcycle better than you.  Take some time and with the money you save doing it yourself buy the correct tools (ie belt tension gauge) do the basic scheduled maintenance your self.  Buy the maintenance and parts manuals.  They have step by step instructions on how to do it.  Ask other riders who do it them selves.  When cleaning the motorcycle check for loose fasteners, lightly oil pivot points, look for wires that might be rubbing or getting pinched, take the seat off and look around, take the saddle bags off and do the same.  Personally, when tires need replaced I take the wheels off and take them to the dealer for new tires and re install them. But, don't recommend that if you're not comfortable.  Don't get in over your head.  Little by little you will build confidence.  I come from a generation that had a personal relationship with our motorcycles and did most if not all maintenance ourselves.  I recognize that we are dealing with different machines and riders today and accept that.

On my '03 Ultra - dealer doing the critical fastener check didn't check the allan screw for the tab going into the tranny. It had loosened off on a long ride and slipped a few teeth on the spline. Going down a hill into a switch back geared down and it didn't slow down had to rely on the brakes only!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was a $1500 cost as it is the first piece to go in the tranny. When I questioned them on it, they said it's not considered critical. It was damn near critical for me!!! Kinda lose faith in them..........

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

I just hate when I do show up for some sort of real service the service dept is clogged up with people just there for an oil change. :confused5:

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 06:26:10 PM »

I understand the importance of maintaining the new ride but $460+tax for a 1k service...  :o OOCH.  I just wanted to get a feel for what everyone else does and what kind of money they spend on this service.
Being the first year of the Water Head, I would definitely pay the Dealer to do the 1k service, after that if you want to do the work yourself, or save a couple of bucks to have an Indy do it, just make sure that you keep a detailed log and receipts.
Keep in mind while you are saving a few bucks on servicing your new $40k CVO, How many Indys are up to date on the twin cooled bikes? :nixweiss:
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 21 queries.