Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?  (Read 16545 times)

ole bill

• Fullsac baffles, 7" Freedom windshield

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO
Re: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »

Ok, my 2 cents
Going for my 1000 mile service, dealer told me about $250 for the works, I told them I will do all the fluids myself and I wanted to know how much for the rest of the 1000 mile service. They told me about $102 would do it. I said I like it. Not a bad deal!!
IBA #58709
HOG Senior Road Captain

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »

Ok, my 2 cents
Going for my 1000 mile service, dealer told me about $250 for the works, I told them I will do all the fluids myself and I wanted to know how much for the rest of the 1000 mile service. They told me about $102 would do it. I said I like it. Not a bad deal!!

What services does $102 buy you?  :nixweiss:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

DesertHOG

• Visiting America One Road Trip at a Time
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • Vivid Black Special
    • NM

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO2: 2015 FLTRUSE - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXS - Vivid Black
    • Join me on Facebook
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2014, 08:59:03 AM »

Damn. Mine was only around $300.00 or so. I've done my 1000 mile's myself in the past. Its mostly just fluid change out anyways.... But they did replace my pitted windshield when they did the service.  That sounds really high for a 1000 mile service.

In my mind, the cost of maintenance goes with buying the bike. You either learn to wrench and service yourself or pay the piper. I purchased a prepaid service plan for around $2k. Over 45k miles later I am way ahead of that investment. Just signed up for my next 3 year prepaid service plan. Watch out 100k mi, I am on my way.

DH

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:27 PM »

What services does $102 buy you?  :nixweiss:

That's what the dealer charges you to park your bike inside and do nothing except call you later that day or the next day and tell you it's done.
Jesus is Lord

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »

That's what the dealer charges you to park your bike inside and do nothing except call you later that day or the next day and tell you it's done.

:zroflmao::zroflmao::zroflmao::zroflmao::zroflmao:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:08 PM »

Harley's service time standards call for approximately 2.2 hours labor to do the 1k service on a Touring model.  That of course includes changing all the fluids, adjusting the belt, supposedly checking the torque on all the critical fasteners, and then all the BS items like checking to make sure all the lights and controls still work a week after they sold you the bike.  IMHO, since they can do all the other items while waiting for the fluids to drain, it would be more realistic to say about 1.5 hours IF they actually do everything.  And IF they really did everything and did it properly, I wouldn't begrudge them even the full 2 hours at whatever their labor rate is, even though the entire 1k service is not necessary and only exists as an extra profit item and CYA for Harley.  If Harley built it right, and the dealer did the prep he is required to do by Harley before the sale, you shouldn't need to have a customer pay for them to recheck the same stuff a week or two later.

Anyhow, $250 to do the full service isn't something I'd call excessive (just unnecessary).  But the crooks charging $400 to $500 are just that, crooks.  It's real easy to figure out what it should cost if you take the time to calculate the retail price of the parts required (basically six quarts of oil, one oil filter, and a couple O-rings for the drain plugs), then 2 hours times the dealers listed hourly labor rate.

6 quarts SYN-3        $12.95 MSRP X 6 = $77.70
1 Superpremium Oil Filter                      $14.95
3 O-rings                 $0.98 MSRP X 3 =  $ 2.94
TOTAL                                                         $95.59

2 hours labor @ $80/hour                     $160.00

Grand total less any tax                         $255.59

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »

Come on - they wash the bike as well.

garretn

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Ultra Limited, Stardust Silver, Autumn Sunset
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 11:15:11 AM »

Harley's service time standards call for approximately 2.2 hours labor to do the 1k service on a Touring model.  That of course includes changing all the fluids, adjusting the belt, supposedly checking the torque on all the critical fasteners, and then all the BS items like checking to make sure all the lights and controls still work a week after they sold you the bike.  IMHO, since they can do all the other items while waiting for the fluids to drain, it would be more realistic to say about 1.5 hours IF they actually do everything.  And IF they really did everything and did it properly, I wouldn't begrudge them even the full 2 hours at whatever their labor rate is, even though the entire 1k service is not necessary and only exists as an extra profit item and CYA for Harley.  If Harley built it right, and the dealer did the prep he is required to do by Harley before the sale, you shouldn't need to have a customer pay for them to recheck the same stuff a week or two later.

Anyhow, $250 to do the full service isn't something I'd call excessive (just unnecessary).  But the crooks charging $400 to $500 are just that, crooks.  It's real easy to figure out what it should cost if you take the time to calculate the retail price of the parts required (basically six quarts of oil, one oil filter, and a couple O-rings for the drain plugs), then 2 hours times the dealers listed hourly labor rate.

6 quarts SYN-3        $12.95 MSRP X 6 = $77.70
1 Superpremium Oil Filter                      $14.95
3 O-rings                 $0.98 MSRP X 3 =  $ 2.94
TOTAL                                                         $95.59

2 hours labor @ $80/hour                     $160.00

Grand total less any tax                         $255.59

Jerry

Jerry your numbers make since.  $300 I agree with but $450-500 has me doing my own services. All the other stuff they claim to do sounded like a way to justify the extra money. The service isn't hard but I would rather not do it.

Chief2505

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 Ultra Tribal Orange
    • CVO2: 2016 CVO Limited two tone silver
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »

My dealer has always thrown the 1K service into the deal. I have never paid for one yet. That being said though I am going back to servicing my own bikes. Initially I did a lot of my own work, then I got spoiled and started taking it to the dealer for everything, thinking it would help me down the road someday. When my 12 had so many problems and they refused to admit to the problems being problems I started doing my own service work.

This winter I installed boom audio amp and speakers, IPOD interface, tons of chrome, changed wheels and replaced all of the gauges on my buddies 2010 Ultra.

I also installed the Fullsac kit on my 13 CVO and I have a great feeling of accomplishment. Kind of scary at first but like someone else said, confidence will come!

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »

Come on - they scratch wash the bike as well.

fixed it for you  :huepfenjump3:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:02:53 AM by ekim60 »
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »

Just had 1000 mile done , was told it was free but had to pay for syn. Oil  , filter and new gasket for derby cover , bought new cover no charge to install since old one was already off. But how do you not include the o-rings and filter in withe the free Svc, I understood paying the diff in price of oil . Total was $126.00

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 11:18:33 AM »

Just had 1000 mile done , was told it was free but had to pay for syn. Oil  , filter and new gasket for derby cover , bought new cover no charge to install since old one was already off. But how do you not include the o-rings and filter in withe the free Svc, I understood paying the diff in price of oil . Total was $126.00

I hate to tell you but you didn't get a free service.  If you look at the example I posted earlier you would see that the full retail price for the SYN3 and filter plus 3 O-rings is only $95 plus tax.  And btw, you didn't need a new derby cover gasket, the original is reuseable unless the person changing it was ham fisted and damaged it.  I think I'd have a chat with the person who originally told you the first service was free.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 12:46:37 PM »

It's free. (just pay separate shipping, handling and processing)  :drink:
Jesus is Lord

grtguy657

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 10:42:39 PM »

Don't do any good to talk they always got an excuse, I'll let my money talk on next bike purchase. Oldest son wants a SG Special , I'll get his perks in writing

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited, FLHTKSE
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2014, 09:17:12 AM »

I purchased all the maintenance manuals, oil, filters, o-rings, etc. for significantly less than the cost for the 1000 mile service. I spent a couple of quality hours in my garage with the manuals and my tools, and completed the 1000 mile service. The fluids from the engine and transmission came out pretty clean but the primary chain case fluid was dark and there was a lot of small debris around the plug. I'm taking it in to the dealer next week for some warranty service (the heated hand grips don't work) so I will talk with one of the techs to see if this is typical. Everything else checked out. I'm glad I did the service myself because now I am much more familiar with the various components of my ride, and have a better idea of which tools to take with me when I go for an extended road trip.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 21 queries.