Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?  (Read 16680 times)

casbar

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 RK
Re: 1000 Mile Service - Pay the dealer or not to do this service?
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 09:23:29 AM »

In the UK the service isn't free. You have to get the dealer to do it, to maintain the warranty.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2014, 09:26:58 AM »

I am planning on letting HD do the 1K service. My thinking is that this one is most critical for the warrenty and insuring HD can't say I didnt do something right later down the road. This is the first year for this technology and I a little worried something odd will happen since it is not proven yet. I am also going to have them fix the speed-o at the same time (off by 4 mph - yes this is odd already). 

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2014, 09:49:03 AM »

I am also going to have them fix the speed-o at the same time (off by 4 mph - yes this is odd already).

at what speed is it off?  4 mph at an indicated 70mph is about normal.  4 mph at indicated 20mph is not.  i can save you some trouble, when you bring that up to the dealer, he's going to say, come on, say it with me, 'that's normal, they all do that'......
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

mnrider

• Full CVO Member
    • CO

• CVO1: 2014 CVO limited stardust silver and autumn sunset. Rinehart Slimline headers and slipons, SE extreme ventilator intake.
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2014, 01:59:42 PM »

I purchased all the maintenance manuals, oil, filters, o-rings, etc. for significantly less than the cost for the 1000 mile service. I spent a couple of quality hours in my garage with the manuals and my tools, and completed the 1000 mile service. The fluids from the engine and transmission came out pretty clean but the primary chain case fluid was dark and there was a lot of small debris around the plug. I'm taking it in to the dealer next week for some warranty service (the heated hand grips don't work) so I will talk with one of the techs to see if this is typical. Everything else checked out. I'm glad I did the service myself because now I am much more familiar with the various components of my ride, and have a better idea of which tools to take with me when I go for an extended road trip.

Let us know what you find out in regards to the primary.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 08:12:16 AM »

The speedometer atcually sits at 4 MPH when the bike is not moving. Then as the speed increases it is always about 4 mph off.  I think if the speedometer was at 0 to begin with it would be OK. I have already told the dealer about the problem. I think since it is clearly off even when not moving HD won' be able to say "they all do this".   

King2013

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

The speedometer atcually sits at 4 MPH when the bike is not moving. Then as the speed increases it is always about 4 mph off.  I think if the speedometer was at 0 to begin with it would be OK. I have already told the dealer about the problem. I think since it is clearly off even when not moving HD won' be able to say "they all do this".

No instead they'll tell you it's within spec.
Lol

hdaliaconis

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2017 CVO Ultra Limited - 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (Traded)

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

I purchased all the maintenance manuals, oil, filters, o-rings, etc. for significantly less than the cost for the 1000 mile service. I spent a couple of quality hours in my garage with the manuals and my tools, and completed the 1000 mile service. The fluids from the engine and transmission came out pretty clean but the primary chain case fluid was dark and there was a lot of small debris around the plug. I'm taking it in to the dealer next week for some warranty service (the heated hand grips don't work) so I will talk with one of the techs to see if this is typical. Everything else checked out. I'm glad I did the service myself because now I am much more familiar with the various components of my ride, and have a better idea of which tools to take with me when I go for an extended road trip.
Do it now!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 07:53:25 AM »

I may get the "it's in spec".  I have always done my own work on the bike (cars and boats) and I am waiting on the service manual to arrive with the extra section for my bike. I get satisfaction of knowing it was done according to "my" requirements. I will let you know what the dealer says about the speedometer.

ole bill

• Fullsac baffles, 7" Freedom windshield

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2014, 06:31:36 PM »

Just got a 1000 service done, I told them I did the fluids a couple of days ago, they did the filler neck recall notice (#0916) did a couple other items, fixed my heated grips, they were unplugged under the fairing, from the factory. And the total for the 1000 service was under $89.00. Not bad.
IBA #58709
HOG Senior Road Captain

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »

The dealer said the Speedo was bad.  A new one is on order and should be here in 7 to 10 days. We will see. I am glad this isn't something that stops me from riding!

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2014, 11:59:37 AM »

Just got a 1000 service done, I told them I did the fluids a couple of days ago, they did the filler neck recall notice (#0916) did a couple other items, fixed my heated grips, they were unplugged under the fairing, from the factory. And the total for the 1000 service was under $89.00. Not bad.

So the dealer doing the PDI.      Apparently did not do their job very well.    Kinda scary ain't it !!!!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2014, 07:46:52 AM »

Actually it is worse than just that part. The bike had the wrong windshield and back rest installed. The tech had got parts from the wrong bike (a non-CVO)!  The dealer corrected all that very quickly. I think the guy doing it must have been new. I sat on the bike before it was put togrther and we had to move pieces (all together). How he messed that up I am not sure. But, the good news is that was the only time I have ever had an issure so I put it up as a new tech and nobody is perfect.     

Trans am

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: Burgundy blaze and typhoon maroon. Limited Scoot is its name.
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2014, 12:01:50 PM »

Good to know,    Makes my  eyes open when mine arrives...

robinswl

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Limited, FLHTKSE
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2014, 10:02:00 PM »

Let us know what you find out in regards to the primary.
Talked with the tech today regarding what I found in the primary chain case. He said as long as the debris around the plug was composed of very small particles, that was normal. He said if there are "hairs" in the oil then that's an indication that something is very wrong. Given how dark the oil was, I can see why they recommend changing it at 1000 miles. He also said to keep my 0-ring receipt as supporting evidence that the service was performed in case I ever need to use the warranty.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #59 on: May 06, 2014, 12:35:10 PM »

I would (and do) keep all the receipts reflecting the oil, filter, etc. It helps show the whole job was done and with what types of products. I have also found value in having a log of all the work done. I keep the date, miles and a drescirption. This log hand in hand with the receipts tells a pretty good story. This is also handy when you go to sell the bike.   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 21 queries.