Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Auto primary chain adjuster  (Read 6242 times)

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2014 Ultra Limited CVO Maroon / Burgundy
    • CVO2: 2013 Road Glide orange / grey
    • CVO3: 2003 Ultra with sidecar silver/black
Auto primary chain adjuster
« on: May 21, 2014, 12:29:23 AM »

Wondered what all the noise was coming from the primary when idling - dealer tells me it's the auto chain adjuster................is this the norm?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Auto primary chain adjuster
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 08:46:03 AM »

Wondered what all the noise was coming from the primary when idling - dealer tells me it's the auto chain adjuster................is this the norm?

No.  If the chain was loose enough to rattle, or the adjuster itself was rattling, it would be due to a defect and not one of those "normal" items Harley and it's dealers like to throw around to get out of working on anything.  Odds are your dealer is FOS (not unusual for an H-D dealership), and if he is just trying to blow you off you shouldn't accept that answer.  If it really is something related to the primary chain and adjuster, he needs to fix it.  There are other sources of noise when sitting in neutral at idle, like from the gearbox itself.  Does your noise go away or lessen significantly when you pull in the clutch lever?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 11:38:47 AM »

No.  If the chain was loose enough to rattle, or the adjuster itself was rattling, it would be due to a defect and not one of those "normal" items Harley and it's dealers like to throw around to get out of working on anything.  Odds are your dealer is FOS (not unusual for an H-D dealership), and if he is just trying to blow you off you shouldn't accept that answer.  If it really is something related to the primary chain and adjuster, he needs to fix it.  There are other sources of noise when sitting in neutral at idle, like from the gearbox itself.  Does your noise go away or lessen significantly when you pull in the clutch lever?

Jerry
It's when sitting with the clutch pulled in idiling it's noisy in the primary. No vibration or anything when riding everything runs great. Thanks for your help Jerry.

Snuff™

• CVO1: '13 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »

...Does your noise go away or lessen significantly when you pull in the clutch lever?

Jerry

Yes, the noise goes away when pulling in clutch lever.  Primary fluid changed <300 miles ago, and <5800 miles on bike. ('13 FLHTCUSE8)
I've had a compensating sprocket go bad one my shovel years ago, but not sounding the same yet.  Don't mean to hijack this thread.

Snuff

hogdooz

• Full CVO Member
  • LET'S GO RIDING!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 08:21:44 PM »

I had a noise when clutch was pulled, was OK when driving down the road. Dealer said the compensator was loose and so very worn, they had to put a new one in. They also said it was a known problem and there is an updated compensator sprocket that they installed. This is on my 2011 FLTRUSE.
2015 FLTRUSE,, 1978 XLCR,  2003 FXDX, 1942 WLA, 2019 FLHCS, 2022 FXRST EL Diablo

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 02:20:33 AM »

Dropped it off today. Seems to make more noise when in neutral. Hopefully find out something tomorrow.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:35:10 AM »

While you're in there.   You can change out the stock adjuster and put in a Hayden M6.    Much smoother, quieter and all aroind a much better unit.  The auto tensioner had the chain way too tight.   Stuart

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »

Make sure it's not that service bulletin about the neutral rattle
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »

Make sure it's not that service bulletin about the neutral rattle

The supposedly "normal" neutral rattle occurs with the clutch engaged and the trans input shaft spinning.  If I read the posts correctly, he is saying it's making more noise with the clutch disengaged.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HD put out service bulletin M1304 for all 07 and later twin cams which states:

"When a motorcycle is at operating temperature and in neutral, a rattling sound may be heard on the right side coming from the area of the transmission side cover. This sound is normal and is referred to as neutral rattle. To verify the sound is neutral rattle, pull in the clutch lever and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. If the sound stops, it is neutral rattle. Neutral rattle is caused by the necessary backlash within the first gear pair.""
This is The MOCO response to the noise
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 10:00:52 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HD put out service bulletin M1304 for all 07 and later twin cams which states:

"When a motorcycle is at operating temperature and in neutral, a rattling sound may be heard on the right side coming from the area of the transmission side cover. This sound is normal and is referred to as neutral rattle. To verify the sound is neutral rattle, pull in the clutch lever and hold it for 10 to 15 seconds. If the sound stops, it is neutral rattle. Neutral rattle is caused by the necessary backlash within the first gear pair.""
This is The MOCO response to the noise
Guess these are the most important words and the most common response from the MOCO

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »

ScreaminCVO, I wish they would have left the primary chain adjuster as a manual adjuster that you checked when you did a service. The one on my 09 SEUC is not giving me any problems, but I like the fact that on my Heritage I could check it when doing a service and adjust if necessary. Never had to adjust between services. I tried two auto adjusters in the Heritage and the original and upgraded versions broke after about 3k miles, even the second version that had two springs in it. Popular on this site, but didn't perform well for me. I put the stock adjuster back in and no problems. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 10:44:16 AM »

ScreaminCVO, I wish they would have left the primary chain adjuster as a manual adjuster that you checked when you did a service. The one on my 09 SEUC is not giving me any problems, but I like the fact that on my Heritage I could check it when doing a service and adjust if necessary. Never had to adjust between services. I tried two auto adjusters in the Heritage and the original and upgraded versions broke after about 3k miles, even the second version that had two springs in it. Popular on this site, but didn't perform well for me. I put the stock adjuster back in and no problems. CAHDBIKER

What did they use on the heritage? Was it not a self adjusting?

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 08:44:14 PM »

Got the call from the dealer, the auto chain adjuster didn't advance to tighten the chain. Dropped another bomb on them though as I hadn't noticed - the upper fork sliders were installed backwards!!! Wondered why they would put a seam in the front??? :nixweiss:

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 11:40:38 PM »

screaminCVO, I should have mentioned that my Heritage was a 1995. If I remember correctly the shoe looked similar to the newer versions, but there was an inspection plate in the primary cover and when you removed that you could loosen a couple of bolts and slide the adjuster up a notch or two if it needed it. It was pretty easy to do and sometimes at a 5K service it did not even need adjusting. What I miss about that bike is that when you put it into first it never made the "clunking noise" and the center of gravity was lower, but after a couple of long rides, Simi Valley to Gordon, Nebraska and another to Steamboat Springs Colorado we knew it was time for a CVO Ultra. My 95 Heritage now resides in Thermopolis Wyoming with my cousin. We are riding there for a wedding mid June. CAHDBIKER

What did they use on the heritage? Was it not a self adjusting?

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2014, 04:00:21 PM »

screaminCVO, I should have mentioned that my Heritage was a 1995. If I remember correctly the shoe looked similar to the newer versions, but there was an inspection plate in the primary cover and when you removed that you could loosen a couple of bolts and slide the adjuster up a notch or two if it needed it. It was pretty easy to do and sometimes at a 5K service it did not even need adjusting. What I miss about that bike is that when you put it into first it never made the "clunking noise" and the center of gravity was lower, but after a couple of long rides, Simi Valley to Gordon, Nebraska and another to Steamboat Springs Colorado we knew it was time for a CVO Ultra. My 95 Heritage now resides in Thermopolis Wyoming with my cousin. We are riding there for a wedding mid June. CAHDBIKER

Ya - sounds to easy and simple!! They have to complicate everything!!!

screaminCVO

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:06 AM »

Noise came back, had new HD adjuster installed and works fine now. They also had to change upper fork sliders, they were installed backwards with seam in the front!!! Dealer was a little embarrassed as I had to point this out..........how could it get passed quality control?
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 21 queries.