Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Which style of headers to use for best results?  (Read 16534 times)

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Which style of headers to use for best results?
« on: December 05, 2006, 12:18:19 AM »

This poll is to go along with the one by Hoist about muffler choices.
I know there may not be a simple answer to this question but there is so much info posted all around it can be hard to try and choose a setup.
I am using this premise as a baseline:
Looking at a 103" engine with no internal mods such as cams. on an touring bike.Along with the final choice of head pipes there would be a tuner (PC or SERT),free flowing air cleaner setup such as K&N w/SE (Or other back plate.) As well as a more open exhaust compaired to stock.
From postings I have read, some of the pros and cons of each type :

1.Stock pipes save money and are a good compromise for torque and horsepower settings at low and mid ranges. Negative is they are bad for the heat issues to the rider and rear cylinder.

2. A Two into One setup gives the best low and midrange torque but can have a power dip in midrange. (Thunderheader) Not sure about D&D or others? Also not sure how they compare to stock at heat disipation for rider and rear cylinder.I am sure the left side would be cooler.

3. True Dual head pipes are best for maximum horsepower at higher rpms but can loose some torque in lower ranges but the torque comes on strong at higher rpms. I also have read where true duals disipate heat the best and they make it easier to tune the cylinders individually.

Please feel free to fill in my blanks and correct any misconceptions I have posted.
Thanks for your input.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Which style of headers to use for best results
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 12:44:32 AM »

My choice has always been for true duals; but for reasons that would really be none of the above.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 03:22:29 AM by twolanerider »

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2006, 01:41:25 AM »

Got to agree with Don on this, true duals belong on the baggers! The opened up right side and balance from the back of the bike win hands down in the looks dept. For what its worth Erniezap and I have almost exact setups except he has the thunder header. Are numbers are almost identical. Both of our dyno sheets can be seen here:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 01:42:27 AM by hd-dude »

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2006, 01:53:56 AM »

My vote is for 2:1. Currently running V&H Pro Pipe on my JIMs 120.. Previous on my SE 103 had the True Dual Freedom Cycle Rhineharts Setup (still for sale).

I am contemplating on trying the 2:1 Supertrapp Super Meg.

I don't mind the look of 2:1 on a bagger.

geezerglide

speedfreek

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2006, 08:25:07 AM »

A 2-1 pipe will offer the best all round performance, particularly on a bagger.  It's a heavy bike and the average rider will cruise in the 2200-3000 rpm range, so low end IS important.  If you like the dual look, most offer a false pipe for the left side.

skyglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE (concord)
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2006, 12:45:34 PM »

I like the 2:1 setup from my D&D Fatcats on the 110". Great fit and finish.Sound and performance second to none. Putting on ghost pipe today. Could not get used to only right side pipe look.[smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

JDOFLHRIDER

• Vendor
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2010 FLHTCUSE5 BURNT AMBER -HOT CITRUS
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 05:12:18 PM »

They didn't make pipes to fit my seuc when i picked it up so i put kerker slip-on's and it sounded great and run good,had nice dyno numbers.I just didn't like the lil noises the heat shields made.so i went to the D&D fatcats.this time dyno numbers better yet and rideability alot better.Fit and finish is great and I like the 2:1 setup from my D&D Fatcats on the 110". Great fit and finish.Sound and performance second to none. Put on ghost pipe couple days ago. Could not get used to only right side pipe look.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 12:54:21 AM »

Gee not too many opinions or interest in headers so far? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I guess mufflers, A/C,tuners and cams more important? ;D

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 09:43:02 AM »

Gee not too many opinions or interest in headers so far? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

I guess mufflers, A/C,tuners and cams more important? ;D

I have the V&H  duals on my B&O  [smiley=jester.gif] and really like them.  I also put the V&H oval mufflers on.  I really like the performance and sound of this setup (see my signature for the rest of the setup).  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]  I haven't had it dyno'd yet, but I don't notice any low-end problems as far as torque and run-on power, but then again the 110 is lightyears more powerful than the 88 I had.  This motor has "stump-pulling" torque.  I was cruising at about 2000 rpm in 6th and decided to open it up and see what kind of torque it had and WOW, it pulled like there was no tomorrow, and supposedly, low-end rpm in sixth gear is the worse combination.  It impressed me, that's all I can say.  But then again, maybe I impress easily.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
Red

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 10:29:10 AM »

Seeing as how this thread is asking for opinions I'll offer mine. I always tell folks who don't want to do anything more than a basic Stage I upgrade to stick with their stock head pipes and buy a set of slip-ons. Lots of different ones out there. If you're doing a stage II upgrade then a set of true duals is the best bet although again using the stock head pipes and a set of slip ons works fine if you're not looking to get the most out of what you do. Lastly, if you're into a full blown I wanna be the big dog on my street Stage III build, then the best bet is a 2 into 1 system. A handful of companies have recognized that bagger folks like the dual exhaust look and offer dummy left side pipes.

Here's a few things I've heard along the way that may or may not be true. If you want to debate these go ahead, but I did not claim these to be true, I'm only passing on things I've heard.

Screamin Eagle stage combinations work better if you use Screamin Eagle slip-ons. Thunderheader slip-ons with stock head pipes are actually better on baggers with torque builds than some true duals. The best head pipes to use are Bassani, so even if you want to use another brand of muffler, go with the Bassani head pipes. Basanni makes the best 2 into 1 system for a really Hi-Po motor. (Dave Mackie recommends Bassani) I personally debate the last one where V-Rods are concerned. IMO the ONLY 2 into 1 for a V-Rod is a Thunderheader.

Big B
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 10:33:32 AM by SPIDERMAN »

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:18:05 PM »

I prefer the 2 into 1 and currently use the Thunderheader.  The heat generated is a problem that I solved with heat wrap.  I agree that the bike loses a bit in the mid and upper range but that is not a priority for me.  Factor in riding style before making your final decision.  
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 09:47:04 AM »

I got some interesting feedback from Vance and Hines tech support and also S&S tech support about pipes.I asked whether to stay with stock or go with true duals,also about air cleaner and tuner.I told them I wanted to decrease heat but try to have good low and mid range torque.
Using an internally stock 2006 CVO Ultra as a starting point this is what they suggested.

Vance and Hines tech support person Mr.Oscar Burgarin stated " I would keep your stock head pipes and put ovals on. You'll get about 5 to 6 horsepower out of it and about 3 to 4 ft.lbs of torque.As for ground clearance you should have no problem at all. I would recommend the power commander for the type of set up you have they have been around for a long time.Great product."

When asked the same questions S&S tech instructor Tom Hampton stated "It is recommended to upgrade to a hi-flow air cleaner kit at the same time.You will need to adjust you fuel ratio slightly and could most likely get by with a stage 1 download. The mufflers will not decrease your cornering ability."In a follow up reply Mr. Hampton stated "Stay with the stock header. People like the look of the true duals but they really do not perform better, although they are less susceptible to deceleration popping out the pipes."

So it seems that both Vance and Hines as well as S&S tech support prefer a stock header setup on an internally stock 103"?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2006, 09:49:29 AM by VaEagle »

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 09:56:01 AM »

I got some interesting feedback from Vance and Hines tech support and also S&S tech support about pipes.I asked whether to stay with stock or go with true duals,also about air cleaner and tuner.I told them I wanted to decrease heat but try to have good low and mid range torque.
Using an internally stock 2006 CVO Ultra as a starting point this is what they suggested.

Vance and Hines tech support person Mr.Oscar Burgarin stated " I would keep your stock head pipes and put ovals on. You'll get about 5 to 6 horsepower out of it and about 3 to 4 ft.lbs of torque.As for ground clearance you should have no problem at all. I would recommend the power commander for the type of set up you have they have been around for a long time.Great product."

When asked the same questions S&S tech instructor Tom Hampton stated "It is recommended to upgrade to a hi-flow air cleaner kit at the same time.You will need to adjust you fuel ratio slightly and could most likely get by with a stage 1 download. The mufflers will not decrease your cornering ability."In a follow up reply Mr. Hampton stated "Stay with the stock header. People like the look of the true duals but they really do not perform better, although they are less susceptible to deceleration popping out the pipes."

So it seems that both Vance and Hines as well as S&S tech support prefer a stock header setup on an internally stock 103"?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 04:24:27 PM »

"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 04:37:39 PM »

S&S has been touting the benefits of factory crossover from a performance standpoint for years. I don't believe that they address the heat issue. To me, eliminating the extra hot piping under your butt has to reject this heat elsewhere, and not evenly for each cylinder. You're not necessarily running a cooler exhaust temp from the engine. You are directing it rearward instead, away from your butt. You also evenly distribute the exhaust from each cylinder directly. Do people who have only installed slip-ons w/ stock headpipes (with A/C and ECM mods) also have heat issues? If so, TD's seem to make sense. I'd be interested to hear about the heat issue specific to this. With only these 2 things done are TD headpipes really necessary? Great, more questions! Thanks. ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 21 queries.