Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Which style of headers to use for best results?  (Read 16530 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Which style of headers to use for best results
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »

Anytime the factory crossover is used you'll have a very hot butt with the rear cylinder temps running considerably higher than the front.
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2006, 07:02:28 PM »

.................................................................................. [highlight]Do people who have only installed slip-ons w/ stock headpipes (with A/C and ECM mods) also have heat issues?[/highlight] If so, TD's seem to make sense. I'd be interested to hear about the heat issue specific to this. With only these 2 things done are TD headpipes really necessary? Great, more questions! Thanks. ;)
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2006, 07:29:39 PM »

Hoist,

First, no matter what exhaust system you use the rear jug will run hotter than the front, due to air flow.

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

DHTDHT

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2006, 09:16:03 PM »

I'm sure there are those who know more about exhaust than I, but it was my impression that the cross-over was simply a means to allow each cylinder to make use of both mufflers, thereby reducing the resistance and improving flow. It allows us to use smallish diameter mufflers instead of one great big one (as in a 2 into 1 system).  When choosing between a 2 into 2 with crossover versus a 2 into 1, I thought it boiled down to personal preference of style more than anything else.  Can someone correct me, if I have the wrong impression on this?

True duals look great because they have no cross-over.  They also do not contaminate one cylinder's discharge with the other's intake from back pressure.  Unfortunately, there is no true dual system (that I know of) that is sold OEM on the bike, since they are too loud, not being able to utilize the cross-over to breathe into two mufflers. When I read the recent post about Harley OEM mufflers not breathing equally, it made no sense to me.  Perhaps someone here can explain if that is indeed the case, and if so, why?

I think Harley has done an incredibly good job of creating an OEM cross-over exhaust system that is of high quality construction, breathes reasonably well, and is not overly quiet.

mavrik

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 12:41:22 AM »

Exhaust pipes... please try this site http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/index.htm
If you want the best performance along with good sound and quality then this is it.
I out on a LSR 2 into 1 prostock 2" c style and gained 10 hp and YES 19 ft lbs of torque..
The 1 3/4" would have produced even more torque...
I think you will be impressed with the site and the info

Mavrik

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2006, 12:53:58 AM »

Exhaust pipes... please try this site http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/index.htm
If you want the best performance along with good sound and quality then this is it.
I out on a LSR 2 into 1 prostock 2" c style and gained 10 hp and YES 19 ft lbs of torque..
The 1 3/4" would have produced even more torque...
I think you will be impressed with the site and the info

Mavrik

Thanks Mav. I've always loved their 2>1. After I burnout my Supretrapp, it's going on my Pro Street. It's nice on the Springer. But I don't want it on my touring bike. I't's too loud for all day trips. I like a dual exhaust on a dresser. Seems like I'm using V&H TD's at that. I also plan on using S&S SPO Slip-ons. Did you do aything else besides pipes? What ECM Mod? Thanks. Hoist!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 12:55:06 AM by Hoist »

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2006, 10:27:57 AM »

Hoist,

First, no matter what exhaust system you use the rear jug will run hotter than the front, due to air flow.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2006, 10:35:07 AM »

A great investment for those concerned about the heat issues is the purchase of an infrared thermometer for about $70.

BLM777

• 1K CVO Member
  • Who says 110's won't run? SofA 777

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3 Black Diamond/Emerald Ice
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2006, 10:38:11 AM »

The really good ones that measure within a 1/2 degree of accuracy down low also can also be a lot of fun pointing at different places on a young lady's........ um......; never mind.

Man....where were you with these ideas when I needed you...... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2006, 10:44:01 AM »

Man....where were you with these ideas when I needed you...... [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]

Brian, sometimes technology truly is a wonderful thing.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2006, 11:35:39 AM »

The really good ones that measure within a 1/2 degree of accuracy down low also can also be a lot of fun pointing at different places on a young lady's........ um......; never mind.

I've always preferred measuring those temps manually...

I've noticed a big difference on my right leg, back of the thigh heat sensor since installing the TD RH's, and not a corresponding increase on the left...I'm sure that there is more heat ON the left side now, but my left leg does not feel any more than when the crossover was there.  Of course, it hasn't been 95 degrees lately either.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2006, 11:43:23 AM »

I've noticed a big difference on my right leg, back of the thigh heat sensor since installing the TD RH's, and not a corresponding increase on the left...I'm sure that there is more heat ON the left side now, but my left leg does not feel any more than when the crossover was there.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2006, 11:47:43 AM »

I've noticed a big difference on my right leg, back of the thigh heat sensor since installing the TD RH's, and not a corresponding increase on the left...I'm sure that there is more heat ON the left side now, but my left leg does not feel any more than when the crossover was there.

ESJ JESTER

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 B/O
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2006, 11:49:53 AM »

Isn't that a new POCO song? from the Big Sky albumn
Do it right the first time, don't leave it for the next guy, as YOU may be the next guy!!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2006, 11:53:51 AM »

Isn't that a new POCO song? from the Big Sky albumn

What's a POCO  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 21 queries.