Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vss bad?  (Read 5567 times)

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
Vss bad?
« on: August 01, 2014, 12:50:20 AM »

I'm on my way back to the states from AK and bikes throughing a P0502. Of course I'm hundreds of miles from a dealer here in the Yukon. Bike runs but no speedo and idles like poop.  Is it OK to run it till I can get to a dealer here in Canada?
Oh...and the starter was JUST changed 2 weeks ago! :( :(
All the bells and whistles. Including 6 speed, GPS and heated grips.
OK, I'm getting old. Get over it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Vss bad?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:01 AM »

Check the electrical connections at the speed sensor.  The fact that the starter was changed two weeks ago might lead one to suspect the connection to the speed sensor may have been damaged or left loose.

The ECM uses VSS data for more than just the speedometer, so it would be best to get this sorted out ASAP.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:57 AM »

I'm on my way back to the states from AK and bikes throughing a P0502. Of course I'm hundreds of miles from a dealer here in the Yukon. Bike runs but no speedo and idles like poop.  Is it OK to run it till I can get to a dealer here in Canada?
Oh...and the starter was JUST changed 2 weeks ago! :( :(

Error code P0502 is "P0502 VSS Sensor High/Open". 

The Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) is powered and monitored by the ECM. The ECM processes the VSS and transmits this signal to the TSM/TSSM/HFSM and speedometer through serial data.

Basically, it's a magnetic pickup that detects teeth on the output shaft of the transmission. The ECM takes that input and uses it in a digital format the speedo understands.

To trouble shoot, the manual suggests the following for either VSS low or VSS high/open:

Remove and clean VSS (located in front of the starter). Clear codes and check again.
Check for continuity between the wiring harness connector's Black/Red wire and ground. (shouldn't be grounded)
Check for continuity between the wiring harness connector's Black/Red wire and the ECM connector (they use a breakout box for this, but you can do it manually, it will be at pin 14 on the ECM connector and a Red/White wire)
Check for continuity between the wiring harness connector's Black wire and ground. Should have continuity.
Check for continuity between the wiring harness connector's Black/Blue wire and the ECM connector (they use a breakout box for this, but you can do it manually, it will be at pin 33 on the ECM connector and a Black/Blue wire)
Check voltage at Pin 33 of ECM. This will need to be done with the ECM plugged in, so might be a tad harder. But, the specs are; 4-6 volts when gear tooth is absent and 0-1 volt when gear tooth is present. (Voltage will fluctuate if bike is moved at all is my understanding between those values)

The short version is:
Clean the VSS.
Check continuity of the wires and make sure there are not loose connections, shorts, or breaks.
If the voltage at the ECM doesn't fluctuate within spec replace the VSS.
Otherwise, replace the ECM.

Your idle is bad because the VSS feeds pulses to the idle control sensor.  I'm not sure, but it may also feed your cruise control.  Is your cruise working?  Lacking other symptoms, if you're unable to correct the problem on the road, I don't believe you will do any damage by continuing to ride to the nearest dealer...

2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

Thanks guys. Don't have the tools to pull the starter. Gonna have to ride it and deal...

lonewolf55

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:36:53 AM »

I believe that's the neutral switch.  :)

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »

I believe that's the neutral switch.  :)

Removed the photos - you're correct, of course...
Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
    • IL

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 12:12:36 PM »

VSS Sensor

Screamin Eagle 120r
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »

Mine seems to be on the trans in front of the neutral switch. Its all so seems to be no connect plug visable. Wires come out the top and run under the starter. Can I just pull the VSS out to clean it? No seal to screw up?
 Also I ran over 570 miles today without a hitch except at idle. We are just left of nowhere in BC now.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 02:47:04 AM »

Mine seems to be on the trans in front of the neutral switch. Its all so seems to be no connect plug visable. Wires come out the top and run under the starter. Can I just pull the VSS out to clean it? No seal to screw up?
 Also I ran over 570 miles today without a hitch except at idle. We are just left of nowhere in BC now.

The image Scott posted was of a bike newer than yours.  Yours was a five speed that had the six speed conversion done.  That sensor's pigtail goes to a plug inside the left side cover.

Yes, you can take the single bolt out the slide something small under the lip of the sensor to pop it out if it won't come up with a gentle tug otherwise.  There will be an o-ring around the body of the sensor that is the only seal.  You can wipe it off and reinstall and hope it solves your problem (sometimes that's all it takes).  That speedo sensor if dirty or failing will cause you to lose the speedo (not the tach, just the speedo) and the cruise control.  It can fail completely and still not bother the idle though.  So you might have more than one issue going on.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:54:49 AM »

Ok got the bike to a dealer in Smithers BC. They checked it and yes it is the VSS that went south. Of course they didn't have one. So we expect to hit the lower 48 tomorrow to find a dealer that stocks one. I'm not counting on it.
 Boy I gotta tell ya... You use the cruise controll more then you might think. No CB,(another story) have to rely on the fuel gauge for fuel stops instead of mileage. Really had to push it today as two of us were getting low and we had to make a decision whether to go back 12 miles or push it 60 in the direction we were headed. We made the 60. :-)
This part of Canada is really nice. Roads are great too! Very under rated area.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 03:26:31 AM »

Ok got the bike to a dealer in Smithers BC. They checked it and yes it is the VSS that went south. Of course they didn't have one. So we expect to hit the lower 48 tomorrow to find a dealer that stocks one. I'm not counting on it.
 Boy I gotta tell ya... You use the cruise controll more then you might think. No CB,(another story) have to rely on the fuel gauge for fuel stops instead of mileage. Really had to push it today as two of us were getting low and we had to make a decision whether to go back 12 miles or push it 60 in the direction we were headed. We made the 60. :-)
This part of Canada is really nice. Roads are great too! Very under rated area.

I've got a couple spare speedo sensors.  If you're stationary long enough for mail to catch up with you let me know.

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »

Thanks  for the offer Twolane, but we won't be in one place more then just over nite till we get home. That the plan anyway. Subject to change...without notice. :nixweiss:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 11:44:49 AM »

Thanks  for the offer Twolane, but we won't be in one place more then just over nite till we get home. That the plan anyway. Subject to change...without notice. :nixweiss:

Good luck getting it sorted.  No cruise control on a long trip sucks (god we're old.....  :huepfenlol2:  ).

05Ultra

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »

Will it never end????
Got to Spokane Washington today. Needed a  back tire bad along with the VSS. Had the tire. No VSS.! Then the mechanic came out and told me my belt has a hole in it. Apparently that happens all the time around here when the state resurfaces the roads. The stones get between the back sprocket and the belt and blow through it. My buddies Can am was worce when we looked at his. Oh well...thats life on the road I guess. But this trip is getting way over my budget..

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 21 queries.