Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Rumblins of another Clutch recall  (Read 6694 times)

Opossum

• Blue is Faster
  • Senior CVO Member
  • “Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
    • TX

• CVO1: 2014 CVO Ultra Limited Jupiter Blue and Wicked Sapphire
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus (gone but not forgotten)
Rumblins of another Clutch recall
« on: September 09, 2014, 04:08:58 PM »

Supposed recall issued yesterday Manufacturer #0159,  No NTSA # issued yet.  Plugged my VIN at safecar.gov and it showed up.  VERY sketchy details at this point.  Read about it on another forum, then checked...anybody else got anythin?
"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Rumblins of another Clutch recall
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »

Called my dealer; they were unaware. They verified the recall but were unable to find any additional information. Harley has not sent any details to the dealerships. My dealer promised to get me in as soon as the recall kits are available.

It's strange that Harley would struggle with a hydraulic  clutch?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 08:21:28 PM »

Called my dealer; they were unaware. They verified the recall but were unable to find any additional information. Harley has not sent any details to the dealerships. My dealer promised to get me in as soon as the recall kits are available.

It's strange that Harley would struggle with a hydraulic  clutch?

Not so much, given their track record introducing any new technology on their bikes.  Coolant leaks, lifters, compensators, valves/guides and so on.  I think it would be more strange if they introduced new (to them) technology like the slipper clutch without issue...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »

There have already been many reports of slipping issues on the Harley version of a "slipper" clutch, since day one.  So Scott is right on the money, it's pretty much "normal" when Harley introduces anything "new", even though it's only new to Harley and not the rest of the industry.  They managed to screw up their first attempt at ABS, even though other companies have had it for decades without issues.  Their first attempts at EFI sucked, their versions of a cam chain tensioner sucked big time, their attempt to run an overdrive primary and a direct drive 6th gear has caused nothing but problems even though Baker did it before them without all the problems, they still haven't figured out how to manufacture a reliable crankshaft, they couldn't come out with a super simple liquid cooling system without multiple problems and recalls, etc..  And the best part is they come out with new-to-them stuff and don't test it before unleashing it on the general public.  Wonderfull bunch of incompetent clowns that can't get much right but still make money hand over fist.  I find that last part to be the saddest of all.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 11:29:13 AM »

LOL Jerry - they have few worries with so many riders buying/beta testing their products each new year - like us... Cost them less to react than act I suppose. Thought I'd done adequate research before buying my CVO - discovered this forum afterwards. The first days of reading through the archives were kind of horrifying on potential issues after the money drop.

MDW

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »

Called my dealer.  They have no details but stated parts will be in next week.  A buddy of mine told me the belief on several forums is a seal in the clutch master cylinder.  We shall see...
Mike
2014 CVO Limited

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black - Gone
    • CVO2: 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt-Twilight Blue - Gone
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »

« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 11:55:57 AM by wachuko »
Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 12:02:06 PM »

Supposed recall issued yesterday Manufacturer #0159,  No NTSA # issued yet.  Plugged my VIN at safecar.gov and it showed up.  VERY sketchy details at this point.  Read about it on another forum, then checked...anybody else got anythin?

How were you able to determine that this was clutch related?  There is nothing documented in that recall.  Or was it updated after you saw it?

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S
2014 Road King CVO in Tribal Orange and Galatic Black with Aztec Shadow graphics. Gone!

wachuko

• Dr. Pending Projects
  • Elite CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:43:00 AM »

This is what comes up when I search via the HD site:

Ride Safe!
Wachuko

2016 Softail Slim S

ultrarider123

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:57:18 PM »

Just to rub salt in the wound here.....the MoCo was suppose to have fixed the lifter issues with the '14 110.  Maybe they took the money from the hydraulic clutch budget to pay for the lifters which made them go cheap (again) on parts for the clutch.  Isn't this the second hyda clutch issue?

RUSHMORE....my big ol butt

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 01:16:16 PM »

Just to rub salt in the wound here.....the MoCo was suppose to have fixed the lifter issues with the '14 110.  Maybe they took the money from the hydraulic clutch budget to pay for the lifters which made them go cheap (again) on parts for the clutch.  Isn't this the second hyda clutch issue?

RUSHMORE....my big ol butt

Assuming this latest recall concerns the guts of the master cylinder, yes that was part of the earlier clutch recall along with the incorrect release plates and contaminated actuators.  Read the attached bulletin M1355 which describes that earlier recall.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this turns out to be a repeat issue.  Don't forget, this is a company that doesn't properly test their products before pumping them out to consumers.  Why would we expect them to have fully tested and verified the previous recall and production corrections?

Jerry

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

LC110

• Elite CVO Member
    • WI

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Stardust Silver / Titanium Dust 1of 1344
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:08 AM »

Just received the latest HOG Enthusiast. (see page 16) Name of article "Recall Basics"
It starts out. "While it is true that nobody looks forward to a product recall, it's important to understand that recalls serve a necessary and important purpose: to maximize safety and ensure a worry-free H-D ownership experience."
The later informs you how/were to check your VIN for recall information.

Sounds like they are preparing owners for this.  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:34:13 AM by LC110 »
Spending time learning the science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion
Razorback Performance Built & Tuned 113@ 122.59 HP/139.30 TQ

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 11:42:10 AM »

Just received the latest HOG Enthusiast. (see page 16) Name of article "Recall Basics"
It starts out. "While it is true that nobody looks forward to a product recall, it's important to understand that recalls serve a necessary and important purpose: to maximize safety and ensure a worry-free H-D ownership experience."
The later informs you how/were to check your VIN for recall information.

Sounds like they are preparing owners for this.  :nixweiss:

What I find funny is how they did everything possible to avoid issuing recalls or even admit to any problems at all in the past.  The exact same issues they've been forced to recall in recent years also occurred in previous years, but back then they just blew anyone off who complained.  Fuel gauges that showed a quarter tank remaining when the tank was in fact empty was a big one, but they only recently started acknowledging the fact that running out of gas on the highway is in fact a safety related defect.  The same is true of stalling for other reasons, the hydraulic clutch issues suffered by a large percentage of the earlier CVO owners, and many more.  They got a free ride for decades on this stuff, and I'm happy they have finally been forced to own up to at least some of the many issues.

Jerry

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:12:59 PM by grc »

rayz1951

• Full CVO Member
    • MI

Recall No. 0159
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 07:59:54 AM »

I just got a notice of a hydraulic clutch system problem. It says a tear may develop in the primary cup (seal) in the master cylinder piston. "What next"! Has anyone gone through this fix? It says if this condition remains undetected it could allow the bike to "creep" forward from a stop.  :worthless: :'( :oops:
Ray Z
RayZ

FLHTCUSE7

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 08:40:16 AM »

Got mine fixed last week. Same issue as last time. The seal they made for the last recall was not ideal to say the least so they redesigned it again.

Quick in and out, just like last time.

Looking forward to see what the next recall is.  :2vrolijk_21:

Tractor Bubba

• Full CVO Member
  • Life's Short - Eat your dessert first!
    • GA

• CVO1: '19 FLHTK Ultra Limited - Silver Flux/Black Fuse
    • CVO2: '14 FLHRSE Road King - Tribal Orange/Galactic Black
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014, 09:52:22 AM »

Had mine updated a couple weeks ago.  I first read about the recall here in the Forum...
...went to the H.D. Website and searched my VIN, and sure enough, my scoot was affected.
I (still) have not received a notice from the Motor Company (yet).

My bike's back in the shop now awaiting her 1k mile service.
I've always done my own maintenance on my previous scoots, but after reading all
the stories on the Forum about "issues" with 110's and CVO's in general, I thought
that maybe it wouldn't hurt to have the initial service and check performed by a dealer!

Ride safe.
Tractor Bubba
2019 FLFRTK
2014 FLHRSE6

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014, 10:52:55 AM »

Had mine updated a couple weeks ago.  I first read about the recall here in the Forum...
...went to the H.D. Website and searched my VIN, and sure enough, my scoot was affected.
I (still) have not received a notice from the Motor Company (yet).

My bike's back in the shop now awaiting her 1k mile service.
I've always done my own maintenance on my previous scoots, but after reading all
the stories on the Forum about "issues" with 110's and CVO's in general, I thought
that maybe it wouldn't hurt to have the initial service and check performed by a dealer
!

Ride safe.
Tractor Bubba

You can always hope Bubba, but I'd recommend you don't get your hopes up to high.  While there may be a few places that really do a detailed inspection of the bike, I think you'll find that in most places a 1000 mile service is in fact nothing more than a quick fluid and filter change, and perhaps resetting the rear belt tension.  Some throw in a wash.  Then they charge $300 to $500 for what amounts to an oil change.

Jerry

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014, 08:27:14 PM »

My recall came in the mail Friday and I got it done yesterday. Pulled in at 4:00, they took my bike in at ten after and it was back outside about 4:30 ... painless fix and free. I mentioned to the mechanic since my bike wasn't bought early in the year I thought I already had the updated seal. He said I did, but that one was also recalled as well. When I asked what the difference was between this latest and greatest version compared to the last one, he said this time they used urethane seals instead of rubber.

2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.