Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Author Topic: Down and the future is uncertain, now more predictable  (Read 26932 times)

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member
  • Be responsible of yourself.

• CVO1: "2007"FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: "2004" 3500 Dodge Diesel Long bed DRW 4X4 HD "Laramie'
Down and the future is uncertain, now more predictable
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:20:37 PM »

Well to make a long story short, The "Jetsons" haven't been riding since 2011. Many situations had come into the mix of life. Now the latest situation has put a real crimp on the future of riding.  The George and Judy riding team will have to put riding on hold again. George, a 72 year old, was hit with a "pinched nerve" in the lower back region that sent him to the emergency room at the hospital. This was approximately mid June. After loosing control of the right leg, and many visits to a Spine Doctor, which hasn't been fruitful, George is muddling through pain pills and working with various doctors and a Chiropractor to release the nerves from the pressure. ETA of a whole body again? Only time will tell. It damn near killed me. Lost over 16 pounds of muscle and flesh in two weeks.

So if you see us on the road again, I beat it. But I don't think the right leg will be the same due to damaged nerves.

Ride Safe everyone, and I hope this never happens to you.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:49:00 PM by Vagabond6542 »
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
Re: Down and the future is uncertain
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 07:24:36 PM »

Terribly sorry you are suffering so.  Best wishes for speedy improvement and a full recovery. 

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 07:36:35 PM »

Thanks ultrafxr. I will post any improvements as they occur.
Expect the Unexpected
For FRIENDS are always welcomed, and ASSOCIATES are somewhat tolerated.  But all are equally rewarded with Karma...Good or Evil.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 07:50:49 PM »

Sorry to read this.   :(    Hopeful for your recovery!   :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Chains

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • FL

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 08:14:20 PM »

Hope you get well.
2009 FLHTCUSE
12 inch Monkey bars
Stage one kit
Fullsac SS titanium coated DX dual pipe
Kuryakyn 4 inch Mellow Crushers
Color Matched Bushtec Turbo 2
1st Active member of the CVO Critter Gawkers Society

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »

Horrible news. Keep your head up and a painfree life is more important than riding.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:27:05 PM »

Praying that you heal quickly.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

George,

I will lift you and Judy up in prayer tonight and be thankful for the riding opportunities we shared in the past.  Keep us posted and God Speed in your recovery my friend.

Jock

RayG

• "What the hell was I thinking?"
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:38:34 AM »

Really sorry to hear that,  the older we get the easier it is to sustain an injury and our age slows down the healing process to a crawl.  I have been fighting a total left leg issue that originates from my low back.  Had fusions in my low back and had C-3-C-4 & C-4 fused in my neck.  Long story short is I get to ride on a limited basis but the next day is a pay back for the previous day's activity if I push it to far.   I don't have it any where as bad as you do but I have some understanding of what you are facing.  Is their any hope for a procedure that may decrease some pain and allow you some additional range of motion?   That is a lot of weight to loose in such a quick time.  I hesitate to offer any advice but if you wish to have the info on programs that I took to help mange my daily life while living with pain that robs us of our quality of life let me know.  I can PM some info that was helpful for me to manage my pain and not let the pain manage my life.  Prayers & good wishes sent from our family.

Don't give up

Ray G.

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 10:25:54 AM »

Really sorry to hear that,  the older we get the easier it is to sustain an injury and our age slows down the healing process to a crawl.  I have been fighting a total left leg issue that originates from my low back.  Had fusions in my low back and had C-3-C-4 & C-4 fused in my neck.  Long story short is I get to ride on a limited basis but the next day is a pay back for the previous day's activity if I push it to far.   I don't have it any where as bad as you do but I have some understanding of what you are facing.  Is their any hope for a procedure that may decrease some pain and allow you some additional range of motion?   That is a lot of weight to loose in such a quick time.  I hesitate to offer any advice but if you wish to have the info on programs that I took to help mange my daily life while living with pain that robs us of our quality of life let me know.  I can PM some info that was helpful for me to manage my pain and not let the pain manage my life.  Prayers & good wishes sent from our family.

Don't give up

Ray G.

Ray G.

Being a Retired Field Engineer, I'm treating this body as a piece of biological equipment. That is if I don't loose my mental mindset to pain. I appreciate any and all info to combat this, Ray. In giving up, I have a stubborn nature that has changed over the years. It is what keeps me from looking for my .40 cal. I've seen 30+++ pain levels that would make grown men cry and wish something would make it stop. I'm not dead yet.

I thank you for your encouragement.

George (Vagabond6542)
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 10:33:28 AM »

George,

I will lift you and Judy up in prayer tonight and be thankful for the riding opportunities we shared in the past.  Keep us posted and God Speed in your recovery my friend.

Jock

Jock,

It has been a pleasure to have the riding opportunities we shared. I appreciate your encouragement in my recovery.

Ride safe, my friend.
Expect the Unexpected

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 11:16:49 AM »

George, I'm sorry to hear of your health issues, prayers going out for a full recovery that will allow you to get back out there.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

We are all going to reach a point in our lives where we will have to make some tough decisions.  Not long ago a well know couple on this site decide that the amount of pain medications among other obstacles led them to make the tough choice of hanging it up.  He still will post once in a while but he is missed by many on this forum.  I'm sure there are many others that have made similar decisions.  While I don't have it as bad as some I'll be 61 this year and due to a freak accident in 1986 I now take 4 (20Mg.) of Oxycodone with 1000 Mg of Ibuprofen.  Numerous surgeries for my neck, shoulders & overall spine conditions led me to believe that I would never ride again.  I took about 10 years off and was really depressed thinking it couldn't get much worse.  Then we lost a son when he was 21 and I have never recovered from that, just learned to take it day by day.  My wife strongly suggested that I take a course for depression, and another for just how much pain I was going to allow to take control of my life.  Since I was forced to retire in 2003 and with my wife working the idle time was not a good thing to have.  A man has to be busy, it cures all kinds of problems.   I was spiraling deeper & deeper and was very close to ending my misery when my wife said why don't you just go out and buy a Harley, you & my Dad loved to ride together.  She also mentioned if I remember right you & my dad were either riding or fixing something on your bikes.  I purchased the 08 SERK and now have 80,000 miles on it.  We all have limits in our lives that we have to bend to or we just break, no exceptions.  Now I'm blessed with Grandchildren that I would have never known if I continued with my poor life choices.  When it's physically or mentally impossible to ride I will call or visit the grandchildren.  An outlet is needed!

The course that I would recommend is "Managing PAIN before it Manages You"  by Dr. Margaret A. Caudill.  It can be found at many places and I'm sure there are many other programs.  It will help you understand the pain process.  Recognize factors that increase or decrease pain.  Reduce stress.  Learn effective problem solving, Learn about medications and their effects.  This was the big one for me, develop relaxation & exercise techniques.  Communicate effectively about your pain.  Set realistic goals, etc. 

This was difficult for me to write as I have a very difficult time expressing myself as words don't seem to find the same meaning from my brain once I type them.  You took the time to dig deep and open up so it made it easier to travel down this road.  We all have our crosses to bear,  wish you the very best and hopefully you can take steps even if they are baby steps to get you to a point where you are comfortable with your progress.  It's not how tuff we are it's how flexible can we be,  exhaust all means to get you in a positive frame of mind. 

God Bless

Ray G.     

doublerunner

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra Classic Typhoon Maroon
    • CVO2: 2011 CVO Road Glide Rio Red/Ember Black
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 12:28:01 PM »

Thank you for taking the time to post this very insightful reply. Glad you're still here and I bet the grandkids are too. Seems like you have a very special wife

And to the original poster I hope you are able to recover fully and get off those damn meds and ride again. Best wishes

We are all going to reach a point in our lives where we will have to make some tough decisions.  Not long ago a well know couple on this site decide that the amount of pain medications among other obstacles led them to make the tough choice of hanging it up.  He still will post once in a while but he is missed by many on this forum.  I'm sure there are many others that have made similar decisions.  While I don't have it as bad as some I'll be 61 this year and due to a freak accident in 1986 I now take 4 (20Mg.) of Oxycodone with 1000 Mg of Ibuprofen.  Numerous surgeries for my neck, shoulders & overall spine conditions led me to believe that I would never ride again.  I took about 10 years off and was really depressed thinking it couldn't get much worse.  Then we lost a son when he was 21 and I have never recovered from that, just learned to take it day by day.  My wife strongly suggested that I take a course for depression, and another for just how much pain I was going to allow to take control of my life.  Since I was forced to retire in 2003 and with my wife working the idle time was not a good thing to have.  A man has to be busy, it cures all kinds of problems.   I was spiraling deeper & deeper and was very close to ending my misery when my wife said why don't you just go out and buy a Harley, you & my Dad loved to ride together.  She also mentioned if I remember right you & my dad were either riding or fixing something on your bikes.  I purchased the 08 SERK and now have 80,000 miles on it.  We all have limits in our lives that we have to bend to or we just break, no exceptions.  Now I'm blessed with Grandchildren that I would have never known if I continued with my poor life choices.  When it's physically or mentally impossible to ride I will call or visit the grandchildren.  An outlet is needed!

The course that I would recommend is "Managing PAIN before it Manages You"  by Dr. Margaret A. Caudill.  It can be found at many places and I'm sure there are many other programs.  It will help you understand the pain process.  Recognize factors that increase or decrease pain.  Reduce stress.  Learn effective problem solving, Learn about medications and their effects.  This was the big one for me, develop relaxation & exercise techniques.  Communicate effectively about your pain.  Set realistic goals, etc. 

This was difficult for me to write as I have a very difficult time expressing myself as words don't seem to find the same meaning from my brain once I type them.  You took the time to dig deep and open up so it made it easier to travel down this road.  We all have our crosses to bear,  wish you the very best and hopefully you can take steps even if they are baby steps to get you to a point where you are comfortable with your progress.  It's not how tuff we are it's how flexible can we be,  exhaust all means to get you in a positive frame of mind. 

God Bless

Ray G.   
-------------------------------------
Enjoy the Journey

kiro

• 1K CVO Member
    • ME

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 1986 FXR Super Glide - antique, but the Evo lives on!
    • A Shot in the Dark
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 12:42:17 PM »

Indeed Vagabond6542 - wishing you less pain and a complete & speedy recovery. Nothing is more therapeutic than some two-wheel therapy I've found. No matter how tough it gets you can always fire up the bike as long as one's health allows it. Makes me disdain winter more and more as I age...

Doniwin

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: 2014 FLHTKSE CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2013 XL1200 Custom
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »

Praying for your full recovery.

Rev. Dr. Don

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2014, 01:05:05 PM »

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.  I am 72 an have back pain. I can turn head a certain way an right arm goes numb. Sometimes when laying on my back I loose feeling in right leg an right arm. My Daughter is a manual spine physical therapist. She doesn't do or recommend rough treatment as a chiropractor sometime practice. I have been putting off surgery for fear I might not be able to ride again. She gives me treatments when I can see her, but we are 3 hour drive away. My riding is therapy for my PTSD. Prayer for you an your problem.
I would be interested to know if you find a solution an hope you get well soon.
Mitch

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »

George I found your outcry close to my heart and my 3 surgeries a real pain in the butt but nobody fights the same demons the same way. But I do reconize the inflection in your voice and words. I can say that there is relief out there, sometimes it really takes a lot of work hounding the Dr's daily to get the right combination of Med's and therapy. And it's real easy to give up and just quit. But I would encourge you not to do that. God loves you and so do we. And I'm sure this is not how God would want this to end. Be strong, I will seek God's favor for you! If you are up in Greensboro give me a shout. God says where 2 or more are gathered in MY name..........

BigLew

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2014, 09:53:33 AM »

You are developing a quality network of truly caring individuals.  You have people who are not afraid to show that they are believers in our Lord and pray to him on your behalf.  The last two post are signs of not being singled out and demonstrating a true sincerity for some relief.  You are not alone.  Saw a movie last week that was truly outstanding called "God's not Dead"  I would highly recommend this movie to anybody regardless of their beliefs.  I would really like to hear about anyone's thoughts once they see this movie, rented through Netflex but I'm sure it is available most places.   

Positive Thoughts

Ray G.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »

You are developing a quality network of truly caring individuals.  You have people who are not afraid to show that they are believers in our Lord and pray to him on your behalf.  The last two post are signs of not being singled out and demonstrating a true sincerity for some relief.  You are not alone.  Saw a movie last week that was truly outstanding called "God's not Dead"  I would highly recommend this movie to anybody regardless of their beliefs.  I would really like to hear about anyone's thoughts once they see this movie, rented through Netflex but I'm sure it is available most places.   

Positive Thoughts

Ray G.

Ray G. there is an army of believers here who are not afraid to display there faith & trust in the Lord Jesus Christ. love the movie, really has to make non believers think. but as to the concerns of our dear friend, we all need to lift him up & ask the Lord to be with him & the Drs, & treating personel. I know I met alarge group of prayer warriors in mv last week, so my confidence & faith is in that
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »

Hang in there, hope for a speedy recovery. Hate to see another 07 BLUE brother retire.

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 11:02:01 AM »

Sorry to hear and I wish you the best for a full recovery. I hope your outcome is as good as Charlie's was. Check out "Amazing story" from Buy early in this same forum if you haven't already.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

JR

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Be Still and Know that I AM God
    • TN

• CVO1: 2012 ULTRA FLHTCUSE7
    • CVO2: 2005 SEEG FLHTCSE2
    • CVO3: 2000 SERG FLTRSEI
    • photobucket.com
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2014, 09:02:44 PM »

George, I just lifted you and Judy up in prayer! I'm so sorry for your circumstances! I have a brother who has been biking for over 40 years and is dealing with pain in his spine and is on pain management through the VA. It is difficult to see someone you love so much go though the suffering he is going through! My heart goes out to you, Ray and anyone else in theses circumstances. Prayer is not the only thing we can do...it's the greatest thing we can do as believers!!! I encourage all believers to pray for you and encourage you to seek a higher power than the doctors! Love ya man, God bless ya buddy! :2vrolijk_21:

:bananarock:

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »

JR is always there for everyone and his message is usually the same one.  He sends a message with his sincere prayers and wishes for a better tomorrow.  Every night when my head hits the pillow I start with my last prayer of the day and the first thing I ask is for is the Lord's guidance to help manage my time to include him in my life as I'm often guilty of not putting him first.  He sent an owner's manual I just need to read it more often and put what I read into practice.   George please keep us posted on any progress and reach out if you are in need of someone to talk to. 

A personal thanks to JR for being there for everyone in need.     

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »

George I found your outcry close to my heart and my 3 surgeries a real pain in the butt but nobody fights the same demons the same way. But I do reconize the inflection in your voice and words. I can say that there is relief out there, sometimes it really takes a lot of work hounding the Dr's daily to get the right combination of Med's and therapy. And it's real easy to give up and just quit. But I would encourge you not to do that. God loves you and so do we. And I'm sure this is not how God would want this to end. Be strong, I will seek God's favor for you! If you are up in Greensboro give me a shout. God says where 2 or more are gathered in MY name..........

BigLew

Big Lew,
Greensboro? Please refresh my memory on location. South Carolina???
I'll be glad to visit when I feel comfortable to ride again. The 07 Jester (Vagabond) is itching to hit the road.
Ride Safe, my friend.
George (Vagabond 6542)
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 01:07:45 PM »

This is for all the well wishers and encouragers,
I'm humbled by your out pouring encouragement, I thank he Lord that there are people in this community of riders that care. It gives my heart the energy to slug it out.
On the good side, where the spine doctor missed on healing me, I have been referred to a Chiropractor that at first didn't impress me. After the second visit, first being a expensive consultation, the spine corrections relieved some of the nerve pressure and I gained some control and relief of the right leg. At least I don't fall to the ground when I expect support from it. Muscles need to be toned up from the lost muscle mass that occurred.

I have found another way to take my mindset off my dilemma. An old Hobby I use to do before become serious about life. Model building.   
Expect the Unexpected

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 05:38:28 PM »

Outstanding news very glad you are feeling somewhat better. Spitfire? Really cool model! I spent many hours of my youth building models, mostly cars, some planes and a ship or two. I would still enjoy doing that.

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 07:36:43 PM »

Outstanding news very glad you are feeling somewhat better. Spitfire? Really cool model! I spent many hours of my youth building models, mostly cars, some planes and a ship or two. I would still enjoy doing that.

1sharprdkg,

I'm glad to find a fellow model builder, The Spitfire and the P-51D Mustang are sometimes mistaken at first glance. But I'm not the one to re-steer one's belief.  This P-51D Mustang came with all the bells and whistles. Throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator, retractable landing gear, and 3 position flap. The rudder, elevator, aileron are dual rate controlled for flight and slow flying for landings.

I could go on for hours on models

More good news on my condition, the Chiropractor has me on a 14 visit program to alleviate the pressure against the nerves that are impinged.  I am already feeling some of the results as I type this post. All I got to say, healing  ;D  isn't a picnic. I have nerves complaining that I didn't know existed.  I appreciate all the prayers, they are being answered and I am grateful.

Ride safe everyone,
George (Vagabond6542)
Expect the Unexpected

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
Re: Down and the future is uncertain, now more predictable
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 07:49:47 PM »

On our prayer list...  Hope for your full recovery...

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 08:47:43 PM »

1sharprdkg,

I'm glad to find a fellow model builder, The Spitfire and the P-51D Mustang are sometimes mistaken at first glance. But I'm not the one to re-steer one's belief.  This P-51D Mustang came with all the bells and whistles. Throttle, rudder, aileron, elevator, retractable landing gear, and 3 position flap. The rudder, elevator, aileron are dual rate controlled for flight and slow flying for landings.

I could go on for hours on models

More good news on my condition, the Chiropractor has me on a 14 visit program to alleviate the pressure against the nerves that are impinged.  I am already feeling some of the results as I type this post. All I got to say, healing  ;D  isn't a picnic. I have nerves complaining that I didn't know existed.  I appreciate all the prayers, they are being answered and I am grateful.

Ride safe everyone,
George (Vagabond6542)
Hey George, Hmm ok Mustang, was not sure. I was not into the plane models all that much but I like that one. It looks pretty big. Nice job. Impinged nerves cause worst pain ever, had a wrist problem once. Glad the Chiropractor is helping, I have never been to one but most people get relief.   

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »

IS HE DEAD YET?????? :D  :D  :D
I thought I would try and lighten the mood in this thread.  :oops:
I'm healing. It has become a very slow process.
BUT( behold ultimate truth), on 10/20/2014 I had a deadly health issue that almost put me into a morgue. Wasn't able to process food until 10/24/2014. I now can proceed to nerve health and yeah start up my Jester to feel the good vibrations of the 110 ci. Who know what spring might bring?  :orange:  :orange:  :orange:

I seriously wish to thank all that had me in their prayers.

Ride Safe
Expect the Unexpected

RayG

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:36 AM »

Thank God you made it over the hurdle.  Spring is a time for a renewal in everything he has created, hopefully you can make steady progress through this period and be in a better position than you are now.  Taking small baby steps all winter long is better than no steps at all.  Thanks for the update,  still wishing you the best. 

Ray G.

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:53 AM »

Thank God you made it over the hurdle.  Spring is a time for a renewal in everything he has created, hopefully you can make steady progress through this period and be in a better position than you are now.  Taking small baby steps all winter long is better than no steps at all.  Thanks for the update,  still wishing you the best. 

Ray G.
Ray G.,
I wish to thank you for your reply. The updates will keep coming. For those who never experience a double calamity and be youthfully elderly, standby for the pain. The healing process will run the nervous system to the highest limit.
Good health to ALL, and ride safe
George B.
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka. Uncle Mikey! Mikeytee for Burbon Judge and
    • SC

• CVO1: 1999 ROADGLIDE Ultra SOLD
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 11:44:35 AM »

George, it's good to hear that our prayers are being answered. I know prayer works , but it is nice to hear it from those we pray for. I continue to pray in your behalf as I do for a lot of others on this site.
Keep up with the Chiropractor visits, contrary to some belief, they do help with pain management.
Vibration therapy, such as sitting on a running Harley in the garage, also works wonders, Just remember to open the garage door.  ;)
Mike
 :drink:
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Charter Member CVO Harley Critter Gawking Society
Charter Member Husband Saints Society. We have Lucky Wives!
I saw the worlds largest ball of string in Cawker City, Kansas

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2014, 10:58:49 AM »

George, it's good to hear that our prayers are being answered. I know prayer works , but it is nice to hear it from those we pray for. I continue to pray in your behalf as I do for a lot of others on this site.
Keep up with the Chiropractor visits, contrary to some belief, they do help with pain management.
Vibration therapy, such as sitting on a running Harley in the garage, also works wonders, Just remember to open the garage door.  ;)
Mike

What!!!  I'm not allowed to breathe in the wonderful suicide gases?!!???  Darn.
As you can tell, my attitude is shifting to the positive.  :orange:  :huepfenjump3:  :pineapple:
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2014, 02:25:53 PM »

George, positive attitude is half the battle, keep it up!  :2vrolijk_21:
Mike
Co-Founder /National Board Member/ Zen Master of CVO Harley Pondering,Hankering, & Moseying Society with all Honors, Rights and Accolades.

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2014, 09:54:06 AM »

George, positive attitude is half the battle, keep it up!  :2vrolijk_21:
Mike

MIKE ,
Thank you for the reinforcement. Sometimes I slip a little, But I remind myself where I've been. Again Thank you.
George  :orange: :2vrolijk_21:  :drink:
Expect the Unexpected

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2014, 12:43:21 PM »

George,

Get that beast down to Salisbury like we talked about, and put some spring in your step!  Wishing you the best! 8)  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2014, 08:48:46 AM »

George,

Get that beast down to Salisbury like we talked about, and put some spring in your step!  Wishing you the best! 8)  Later--HUBBARD

Hubbard,

That's on today's agenda for the future Spring. Thanks for the Wish.
we will Later--George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »

UPDATE:: HE DIED,  :oops: HE LIVED.
Seriously, all is well as progress in time would suggest. The healing process of the nerves and the muscles "talking" to each other is something to remember.
Suggestion for anyone who runs into this scenario, look for the following body help. The body needs proteins to rebuild damaged elements in the body. That is the basis of my recovery, and have a good Chiropractor. And don't forget  to thank all the Prayer Givers. IT WORKS.
I still get pains of reminders in the right leg. They are slowly slipping into the background of normal neurotic noise of the human body.
To All of the group--- :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2014, 09:48:55 PM »

George, that is wonderful news. As we approach Thanksgiving a lot of us have a lot to be thankful for. I  for one am thankful for a wonderful family and good friends and good health.
I will continue lifting you up in prayer and await more good news.
Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

George, that is wonderful news. As we approach Thanksgiving a lot of us have a lot to be thankful for. I  for one am thankful for a wonderful family and good friends and good health.
I will continue lifting you up in prayer and await more good news.
Mike
Mike , I'm glad to report that I am on the "mend". I too am looking forward to Thanksgiving  with Vags SO (Judy). This trip with health has been hard on both of us. Now and then I'm reminded that I have mortality . But at least I'm not on the deadly pain pills. On the mentioning of proteins, GNC and Vitamin Shoppe are a good source for the body supplements. I'm slowly getting my weight back with mass. OH, forgot to mention one other thing. BOY do I love the pain of nerves and muscles when they argue whose right. Got to get more drink. :drink: :drink: :drink:
George
Expect the Unexpected

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2014, 03:12:39 PM »

That which does not kill you....    Keep mending!    :2vrolijk_21:    :2vrolijk_21:

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 03:58:54 AM »

Hijacking my own thread,
Happy  Thanksgiving  from my family , George, Judy & Romeo (the master cat.) to all Families. 
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2015, 10:06:54 AM »

To all that are following this Scenario of the Pinched  Nerves, it has taken a turn for the worse.
The nerves that controlled the right leg are on healing with little or no muscle to resist falling down.
BUT, now the left leg is following the same pattern as the right leg.
If I don't correct this, walking even a short distance is a mental task.
The Chiropractor and I have come up with a plan. We will not know the outcome until Monday, 01/05/15.
Thanks for all of your prayers.

Vagabond (George)   
Expect the Unexpected

halfcirclej

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRUSE 2011 Black Quartz
    • CVO2: FLHTCU 2008 WHITE GOLD PEARL
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2015, 11:10:25 AM »

George, I still recommend you see a manual spinal physical therapist. My Daughter does wonders for me. She specialized in the spine, a master's degree an 6 years of school. I pray you can recover an have peace a get back to riding which gives us all enjoyment.
Mitch

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2015, 07:54:02 AM »

George, I still recommend you see a manual spinal physical therapist. My Daughter does wonders for me. She specialized in the spine, a master's degree an 6 years of school. I pray you can recover an have peace a get back to riding which gives us all enjoyment.

Mitch,
I thank you for your advice, I live in a 3rd world state, North Carolina.  They have upgraded their Educational value, but it is difficult to find a competent Professional. The Chiropractor that is handling this  problem, I would rate better than most that I have had to deal with in my years of keeping my body operational.
There is just some things that happen in life that makes it hard to continue, being 70++.

Ride Safe,

George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 07:06:06 PM »

To all the members following this thread, the good news is that I'm still living. BUT, the bad news is, unless some miracle happens, I will be wheel chair bound. I am already using a wheeled walker to try to strengthen my legs. The left legs is being stubborn.  My endurance to pain is getting shorter, and my ability to walk distance is almost nonexistent.

All Riders/Owners...BE SAFE

Vagabond (George)
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 08:51:47 PM »

George.
I'm sorry to that your prognosis is not good. I keep you in my prayers and do believe in miracles.
The Lord tests us in many ways, not always to our liking, so stay the course and keep up the good fight.
Remember that you have friends here that are here for you. Lean on us.
Mike

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2015, 09:22:11 PM »

Well to make a long story short, The "Jetsons" haven't been riding since 2011. Many situations had come into the mix of life. Now the latest situation has put a real crimp on the future of riding.  The George and Judy riding team will have to put riding on hold again. George, a 72 year old, was hit with a "pinched nerve" in the lower back region that sent him to the emergency room at the hospital. This was approximately mid June. After loosing control of the right leg, and many visits to a Spine Doctor, which hasn't been fruitful, George is muddling through pain pills and working with various doctors and a Chiropractor to release the nerves from the pressure. ETA of a whole body again? Only time will tell. It damn near killed me. Lost over 16 pounds of muscle and flesh in two weeks.

So if you see us on the road again, I beat it. But I don't think the right leg will be the same due to damaged nerves.

Ride Safe everyone, and I hope this never happens to you.

George,

My father inlaw was hit with a very similiar situation.   He was able to have a tens unit put (implanted)  into his back and it has taken away the pain.   Don't know if this is a viable option for you, but hope you find relief or a fix.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

TXGator

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • FL

• CVO1: "JUSTICE" 2014 Jupiter Blue CVO Limited V&H Power Duals, 4.5" Hi Output Slipons SERT
    • CVO2: Non CVO 2015 Heritage Classic... Freedom Performance Racing True Duals, SERT
    • CVO3: My 16YO's first Harley... 2005 Sporty 883, Cobra Slash Cuts
« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2015, 09:34:13 PM »

George..  I hope the best for you and will send a quick request to the man upstairs that you are granted peace and joy no matter what new challenges you may face. 

My son is in boot camp and I sent him with the only piece of true wisdom that has stuck with me.  That is Attitude and Effort are the only things in this life that we truly control.  You exemplify this...  Sounds like you have a warriors heart.. 

Take Care..

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2015, 05:19:33 AM »

George.
I'm sorry to that your prognosis is not good. I keep you in my prayers and do believe in miracles.
The Lord tests us in many ways, not always to our liking, so stay the course and keep up the good fight.
Remember that you have friends here that are here for you. Lean on us.
Mike

MikeyTee,
I have already seen a lot of challenges. Mainly learning to get up off the floor without use of legs. These legs use to press 300 lbs., I'm lucky to get control enough for knee lock for standing. Still working on leg extension for both legs. I DO THANK YOU FOR YOUR ENCOURGEMENT.
George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2015, 05:34:29 AM »

George..  I hope the best for you and will send a quick request to the man upstairs that you are granted peace and joy no matter what new challenges you may face. 

My son is in boot camp and I sent him with the only piece of true wisdom that has stuck with me.  That is Attitude and Effort are the only things in this life that we truly control.  You exemplify this...  Sounds like you have a warriors heart.. 

Take Care..

TXGator,
That was a great piece of Wisdom that you gave your Son. And I appreciated the compliment. And you are so correct about Attitude and Effort. Now about that heart, when do they peaceably sleep?
This one is 72 yrs. and going for 73 in June.

Take Care as well
George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:57 AM »

To all riders /owners,
Today I took a chance, and fired up the CUSE2 07. She sounded GREAT and felt Great. The left leg is a little more cooperative. I went through some really painful days lately as the nerves in left leg began "talking" to the central nerve center. There  is Hope yet. I Thank everyone for their Prayers well wishes.

Ride safe,

Vagabond
Expect the Unexpected

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2015, 01:14:28 AM »

There is always hope!    :2vrolijk_21:    :2vrolijk_21:

Sawyer Brown

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2015, 12:23:49 PM »

That is good news to hear, George! Keeping up the healing prayers.
Mike

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2015, 12:11:32 PM »

Great to hear!  Keep thinking positive and working to get better!  We are all thinking of you!

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »

To all that had replied recently, I thank you for your support.
To make a long story short. The left leg is giving some support. I'm aiding it with a support knee wrap to get more control.
I'm walking more without the walker w/wheels. I'm using the adage "when the going get tough, the Tough get going" w/attitude.
PAINFUL? Nawwww.

Ride safe everyone,
George (Vagabond6542)
Expect the Unexpected

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2015, 10:48:04 AM »

Sorry that you are going through this but happy to see progress and positive attitude!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #59 on: April 06, 2015, 11:03:27 AM »

George,
Keep up with the positive VIBES!

All the best.

Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2015, 11:17:46 AM »

Sorry that you are going through this but happy to see progress and positive attitude!
[/quote

erniezap ,

I thank you for the encouragement. There is a "Light" at the end of all this.

George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

George,
Keep up with the positive VIBES!

All the best.

Mike

Mike,

Thank you , and I will keep trying .

George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2015, 02:33:53 AM »

This is to follow up on what has happened.
I have been going to doctors to correct my disability and presently haven't been able to work with two complete legs. I'm crippled. I'm not able to ride my CVO "07" or drive my "04" Dodge Dully. And everyday is an effort to complete any task without the use of the wheeled walker. If this doesn't change, this is permanent.
Ride Safe.
Vagabond (George)
Expect the Unexpected

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2015, 02:42:06 AM »

We're all pulling and praying for you, George!  Please hang in.  Many of us know how tough it is.  Best of luck to you.

GK

Sawyer Brown

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »

As Greg said, hang in there George and don't give up. We'll keep praying for you.
Mike 

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2015, 04:37:43 PM »

We're all pulling and praying for you, George!  Please hang in.  Many of us know how tough it is.  Best of luck to you.

GK
GregKhougaz,
Thank you for your response, there are times of depression due to the disability. But responses such as yours, puts a light at the end of the tunnel and is appreciated.
ride safe,
George
Expect the Unexpected

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2015, 04:42:37 PM »

As Greg said, hang in there George and don't give up. We'll keep praying for you.
Mike 
MIKEYTEE,
Please read my last response, it also applies to you. I appreciate the uplifting
Ride safe,
George
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »

George please know we are here for you and we will keep the light burning brightly my friend!
Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2015, 01:45:54 AM »

Well CVO's,
Since the last update of my condition, there have been many tests, cat scans. and ultrasound imaging to determine what happened. Try this on for size, a birth defect in the lower spine (L3-L4-L5-S1 vertebrae area). The fall down my own brick steps set the compression , that caused the nerves to be aggregated in the leg muscles and it will take surgery to correct the compression on the nerve outlets. There is a "curve ball" to this recovery scenario , Age, Diabetes, & how long this condition existed. It would take 30 to 90 days to determine after surgery that there is a recovery and to what degree of success that has been accomplished. I would be happy to stand on two legs, if there is some success. Being one legged for many months can humble a person in abilities, and you would appreciate having two legs that was given when born.

I hope from this read, that there is a message about health and riding.  Lose  a leg will lose your riding ability.

Ride Safe,

George (Vagabon6542)
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »

George, I am sure you will choose  the best option for you. I and others will keep you in our prayers and make sure the light at the end of the tunnel burns brightly for you. Remember, we are here and pulling for you.
Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2015, 07:49:38 AM »

George, I am sure you will choose  the best option for you. I and others will keep you in our prayers and make sure the light at the end of the tunnel burns brightly for you. Remember, we are here and pulling for you.
Mike
MIKEYTEE,
I thank you and the others for the support that has been given. For information purposes, Surgery is on October 14th. Should all goes well, I will spend approximately a year in recuperation after surgery. It's going to be a long Ride.
Thanks again everyone.
Vagabond (George)
Expect the Unexpected

GregKhougaz

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:27 AM »

George,  Sounds like maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.  We're all still pulling for you.  Heck, at our ages, a year is not so long anymore.    :2vrolijk_21:

Sawyer Brown

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #72 on: October 09, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »

I just marked my calendar for next Wednesday to add a special prayer for you and the Doctors preforming your surgery. I see the light is burning a little brighter each day for you.
Maybe at the end of your recovery we can meet up and share a ride. Maybe Maggie Valley!
Thoughts and prayers your way my friend.
Mike

03Lightningrocks

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

• CVO1: 2013 Road King
    • HVAC
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2015, 03:37:59 PM »

I don't know you like some of the others here but I still want to wish you the best with the surgery. We all have that one connection of loving to ride, what ever we each are as individuals.

It is amazing how good these surgeons have become over the years. It will go well.

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2015, 11:15:39 PM »

Been praying for you George and thinking of you a lot since last Wednesday. I truly hope and pray that the surgery was a success. I know I'm not the only one either. Remember we are here for you so lean on us if you need to. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Take care my friend,
Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #75 on: November 16, 2015, 02:58:23 PM »

Been praying for you George and thinking of you a lot since last Wednesday. I truly hope and pray that the surgery was a success. I know I'm not the only one either. Remember we are here for you so lean on us if you need to. I wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Take care my friend,
Mike
MIKEYTEE and ALL CVO owners/riders,

I am happy to report,  HE'S ALIVE!!!
It was a 2.5 hour surgery and a one night stay in the hospital.
I was released after safety conditions were given and the "DO'S and DON'tS were explicated explained for proper healing. Two weeks later, the stitches were  remove. Since then, I have been monitoring my healing process and my ability to be ambulatory with two legs. I have gone 30 days since surgery and I'm able to, with some assistance with a wheeled walker, move about the house and do limited outside business such as banks. I had to sleep a lot. This surgery trip was worth the effort to become whole again.  I  have invested into Bowflex M5 total body exerciser to retune the body into balance and muscle control. Who knows, I might die on that machine. (chuckle)

I wish to say to ALL, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT, THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS. I believe they were answered.

Ride safe and be in good health,

George (Vagabond 6542)
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #76 on: November 16, 2015, 04:29:37 PM »

Fantastic news George! Now get yourself in condition as warm weather and perfect riding conditions will be here before you know it. I'm still looking forward to hooking up with you and doing that ride.
Mike

Vagabond6542

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2015, 02:55:56 AM »

To All CVO Owners and Riders,

Please forgive me for not keeping this up to date.

Happy Belated Thanksgiving to all that celebrated The American Holiday. Judy, George and Romeo (cat, Master of this home) had a southern style Turkey Dinner with all the trimming, yes, Cornbread Dressing.
Well, we are coming up on the end of the year celebrations, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

So to answer how am I doing.  December 14th marked 60 days since the surgery, and I am progressing as expected. I have to work on some weaken leg muscles, especially  the left leg.  Both knees display the a weaken condition due to lack of exercise. I'm working on that. The M5 Total Trainer by Bowflex proved to be a worthy purchase, it pointed out the muscle weaknesses.

A piece of advice for all riders. get CAT scans of your lower back. My birth defect in the lower  vertebrae came out to be discovered after a fall down brick steps. Don't let something of misfortune nature, put you behind the 8 Ball. It will ruin your riding seasons to come until you over come the disaster.

Ride Safe and enjoy The Holidays.

Vagabond (George)
Expect the Unexpected

MIKEYTEE

• 5k CVO Member
    • SC

« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2015, 06:10:04 PM »

:2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Thanks for the update George and keep up the good work.
Merry Christmas to you, Judy, and Romeo and a joyful and healthy New Year.
Still keeping you in our prayers.
Mike

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6 [All]

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 21 queries.