Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Windshield Removal/Replacement  (Read 1814 times)

bluesei2

• HD4me
Windshield Removal/Replacement
« on: December 22, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

Happy Holidays to all  :) ....  My wife bought a 3" higher Harley windshield for my '01 FLTRSEI2 and the installation instructions are very poor  :'(.  Loosening the four screws to slide the tabs in is easy enough, but how is the middle (black) screw removed?  I took the lense for the headlights out of the fairing figuring I could get my hand up there but no dice.  I'm now looking at a moulded lip and a casing around the two headlights, a casing that I can't figure out how to get off and if I did, would it give me clearance to reach what I am guessing is a nut holding the screw from the back.  Am on the right path or can you give me some pointers on what do I need to do?

thanks in advance and "Happy Holidays to all and to all a good ride..."

Randy (Bluesei2)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:43:49 AM by bluesei2 »

HEADPAN62

• Elite CVO Member
  • born in the wind!!
Re: Windshield Removal/Replacement
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:04:08 PM »

They are rubber 1in' press in tabs..as you tighten them they (squish) together and stop the tab from coming back out...most of the time they actually fall into the fairing if you are not careful(no biggie)the screw and the rubber threaded bushing are turning together stopping you from removing the screw...try to push the shield to one side for leverage and turn the screw...once removed replace all the threaded rubber bushings....I had my shield off soo many times that when I removed my fairing about 5 of them rubber bushings were in there just bouncing around....not the best wat to attatch the shield but what can you do....hope I explained it so you can understand,ride-on..headpan
2011 fltr ultra
1998 Dyna wide glide
1962 panhead rigid/chopper

bluesei2

• HD4me
Re: Windshield Removal/Replacement
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2006, 07:36:49 PM »

Thanks HeadPan62.  I stopped by the dealer this PM and received the same advice.  I have five new "zerks" ready to go in with the new windshield.  The one in the middle is the current villain.  I'll try the leverage (push to the side) trick otherwise, I think I may be able to get a pair of needle-nose pliers in there to hold it while I remove the screw.  Thanks again and ride safe..Bluesei2

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 21 queries.