Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: WANTING TO HEAR WHAT MY DOC WON'T TELL ME  (Read 7277 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: WANTING TO HEAR WHAT MY DOC WON'T TELL ME
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 06:44:19 PM »

I miss it big time, but the old body can't take the punishment anymore.  Sucks getting old, but sure beats the alternative!

Wasn't Gordie Howe like 103 when he finally keeled over and impaled himself on his own stick while going at such a high speed that the sudden stop forced him to slice open his own rear end with his skates?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 06:44:52 PM by twolanerider »

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 11:21:22 PM »

Nah, he was only 98!  I actually skated with him up in Buffalo in the 1980's...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2006, 11:44:11 PM »

Nah, he was only 98!  I actually skated with him up in Buffalo in the 1980's...

Ok, no kidding, that would have been very cool.

NTHEWIND

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2006, 11:06:35 AM »

Thank you, one ane all, for your kind and motivating words.  With that said, today I'm going to order the set of Rindhart Duals that I wanted to put on the SEEG prior to my accident!!  As soon as winter turns into spring, I'm in the wind.

One further question, has anyone had any experience with  the potective back braces that I see sold in catelogs?  Are there some more effective (or damaging) than others?

Thank you all again,
NTHEWIND

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

Thank you, one ane all, for your kind and motivating words.  With that said, today I'm going to order the set of Rindhart Duals that I wanted to put on the SEEG prior to my accident!!  As soon as winter turns into spring, I'm in the wind.

One further question, has anyone had any experience with  the potective back braces that I see sold in catelogs?  Are there some more effective (or damaging) than others?

Thank you all again,
NTHEWIND

That's the spirit. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] Don't get back on before you're ready though. You'll appreciate it even more instead of making things worse. Being itchy to get back in the saddle is tough, but be patient. Working on your bike while your healing is the best therapy, and will give you something to look forward to. ;) Feel better and best of luck. Hoist!  8-)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »

Thank you all again,
NTHEWIND

I used one post surgery that the Dr prescribed.  It gives more support but I found that I didn't really need it and stopped using it.
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2006, 12:37:42 AM »

Quick note from a multiple back fusion kind of guy.  The Back braces work.  They will provide you with support to keep you from torquing things that shouldn't be torqued.  That being said, I never wear the brace unless I am at great risk of compressive shock to the spine which I would have nt control over, (ie.  a pothole at speed...)  I never wear it otherwise due to the fact that it will let you allow the muscles to become dependant on the support, at the expense of atrophy of muscle groups that you need to work REAL HARD to strengthen.  

I can't help you with what will work best for you.  I'm a S-3 through L-3 kinda guy, and that lets me wear a brace like a corset that squeezes and stretches me like a corset.  (goes on kind of the same way...   shut up you guys...)  I don't know if you can get one for where your beat up.  Go to a prosthetics shop and tell them what your situation is and what you want out of the brace, (safety for the unexpected), and they should be able to help you out...

The previous commentary about the right questions to ask the doctor is right on the mark too in my opinion.  My doc told me that it would be suidice to ever ride again, and it turns out that he would have said the same thing if I had had him operate on my foot.....  

Cheers, be carefull, and remember how to get old...   Look forward to the next day, and wake up for it!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

kazumdgc

• Senior CVO Member
  • Only Way to GO!
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 10:44:43 AM »

I too was in a crash in 2006. Not as bad as yours but a crash is a crash. Dislocated hip, Knee foot and on an on Dr said I would never walk on my right leg again. WRONG! My friends who don't ride thought I would quit. My friends who do ride knew I could not. I remember 2 years ago riding to DC for the Big one and a girl was riding a softail in front of me. She rode well and her Mom and Dad rode next to her. At one of the breaks we satrted talking and she told me she had a crash the year before and had 7 surgeries on her lower right leg to try and fix it. She said she had enough of them messing her leg up so she had them remove the lower part of her leg and foot. Got a Prosthesis and learned to ride with her new leg and foot. What an amazing person. She was my inspiration as I was getting well and said over an over to myself if she had the strength and desire so do I. I am glad you have taken the rode to ride again and not let the can't do it people take over your life.

Ride safe and long my brothers and sisters.

UltraPolecat

• Elite CVO Member
  • Good Bye Milk Dud! Hello Black Beauty!

• CVO1: 06 SEUC Black Candy Crimson
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 11:27:53 AM »

Great story Kaz,

Thanks for the reminder that we only need look around us to find the inspiration we need to win at this life.

HAPPY NEW YEAR! [smiley=mango.gif]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 01:11:52 PM by UltraPolecat »

SEULTRA

• 1K CVO Member
  • It's all about riding ...
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »

Sounds like you've been through a lot of pain (physically and mentally). Those of us who's passion for riding is strong understand your desire to ride again. I have spinal degeneration, 2 herniated discs in my neck and a narrowing of the foramen channel in 2 disks that pinch the nerves extending to my shoulders and arms but I still manage to ride. PT has helped a LOT as well as specific exercise to build up the supporting muscles. I went to a neurosurgeon in Denver who steered me in this direction rather than perform surgery. Needless to say I value his opinion highly. He never told me to quit riding, just told me how to get better. [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif]
Of course my problem is nowhere as serious as yours and I wish you all the luck finding a doc that will help you get riding again.
Only you truly know what your capabilities are. IMHO, the question you need to ask yourself is can I ride capably and not endanger others? The rest is just bugs in your teeth! ;)

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 08:26:01 PM »

Just found the thread...You are in my prayers and Good Luck...

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »

Kind of what Coolbreeze was saying........I used one for a short period of time after my accident.  I used it less and less because I felt like it might actually be making my back muscles weaker and more dependant on the support.

As far as riding goes......the back rest on your seat, adjusted properly (that may take some trial and error before you get that just right) will help a lot.  For me, my riding style changed quite a bit after my accident, too........and so that helped also.

A prayer goes out for you this morning for a complete recovery.  Please keep us posted.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

luvridn

• FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »

Keep the positive thought process!!
 Something else you may want to consider is a custom seat to help absorb more of the shock, w/ of course a custom backrest to provide support until you're more pain free. 

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming--"WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2007, 09:34:02 AM »

Morning luvridn !

You are   :welcome_005: on this site from FRANCE !

It'll be nice for the other members if you present you in the thread "New Member Introduction"
with a pic of your bike.  :thumbsup:

Best regards

:vrolijk_26: Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

DavidB

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2007, 05:08:11 AM »

My friend Ron hand a cage wrapped around his lower vertibra along with various screws , pins and rods and whatever else was found on the floor. A year later we head up to Rollin Thunder and he does great. The year before the surgery we had to transport him home in the back seat of a rented car from Dc. Of course alot of his fast healing was contributed to the fact of him being so damd ugly. Thats him on the left with his dad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 21 queries.